Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-07-2012, 05:30 PM   #1
DEEGOON

Drives: 2008 TYTA YARIS Base 4D SDN
Injector Cleaning

Hi All,

Im new to the Yaris forum. I had a dealership mechanic tell me that I should get their fuel inejctor cleaning service? Is this just a gimmick? Or is this something that would really help? I have a 2008 4D base model Yaris. I havent noticed bad mileage. I have about 75K miles. What are your thoughts?
DEEGOON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:48 PM   #2
DMZ

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
I have been told they pour some Techron into the gas tank, run the engine for a few minutes and charge you $125.

Go buy a bottle of Techron (~$10) and do it yourself.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:36 PM   #3
UTVitz

Drives: Black Vitz Liftback
A real fuel injection service involves hooking the injectors up to a machine that runs a professional cleaner through them. The tips can build up deposits over time changing or reducing their spray pattern. I've been told though that unless you're having a drivablity problem this service is not needed for routine service. Just stick to a good name brand fuel-not the cheapest you can find and you'll be in good shape. I've tried the techron in a bottle, but don't think it did anything. However, if it buys you piece of mind, you might try it.
UTVitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:39 PM   #4
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
Techron with some 92 octane or higher be fine . I try to do it twice a year .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 06:15 PM   #5
12 yaris

Drives: '12 Yaris LE Lagoon Blue Mica
You can use this,but I believe it's not needed.
They just want your $.

Last edited by 12 yaris; 03-08-2012 at 08:01 PM.
12 yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:04 PM   #6
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Drives: 2013 Yaris 5 dr liftback
Never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never bring you car to a Toyota Dealer for service unless it is still under warranty! Did I mention never?

Synthetic Oil....its in my car.....for at least 10,000 miles!

daf62757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 09:51 AM   #7
ruabadfish2

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershey View Post
+1

Then Italian tune it for a bit
ruabadfish2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 03:53 PM   #8
LEXX
0-60 IN UNDER FIVE

Drives: 2008 Blk on Blk Yaris Sedan
I've got the exact same model as you.

DEFINITELY get chevron techron fuel system cleaner instead of going to the dealer to clean your injectors. I use techron about every 4 months or whenever mine starts acting a little sluggish. Best time to use it is right before or after an oil change. I swear that stuff feels like it adds a bunch of boosted horsepower to my system. Especially after it runs through the whole tank and cleans the whole system out. If yr using it for the first time 2 bottles work the best. Run it through one tank full then use another bottle on another fill up. Makes the car run faster smoother and like its brand new.

My car does 0-6 in around 5 secs and I think techron takes atleast a second off that time. But I have 15 inch wheels with high performance potenza's too. Plus I use a mix of 5w 20 and about 5 or 10% 5w 30 castrol edge.

But yea Techron's one of the best cleaner's out... i doubt the dealer could clean your injectors any better than techron does.
LEXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 04:12 PM   #9
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEXX View Post
My car does 0-6 in around 5 secs...
You should have that checked out
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:13 PM   #10
Hershey

+1 . Sounds a bit sluggish . May want to use the gallon jug of Techron or Shell V-Power to remedy that .

Last edited by Hershey; 04-11-2012 at 11:07 AM.
Old 04-09-2012, 04:41 PM   #11
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
heh, i think i can go that fast with how slow i drive. not sure though, that sounds like pushing it. Don't want anyone to think i drive faster than any other known human.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:28 PM   #12
Nicfin
Nic

Drives: 2008 3-Door Liftback Manual
I really doubt a vehicle new as yours needs cleaning. I have never used Techron, but I have used BG44K. It absolutely works, but it is not exactly cheap. I have always bought mine on eBay. I usually try to buy multiple cans, which gives me the best price. You can probably find it for about $15.00 a can. A can twice a year is much cheaper than one injector cleaning.
Nicfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 01:03 AM   #13
bobolinko
Bob

Drives: Yaris and Scion XD 5 spd BSP
+1 On the BG44K ! I used it every 6 months and every time I put in a can, It felt like I was running boost! It makes the little kitten under the hood ROAR! and it smooths out the motor too!

+1 also on the cost factor. I love the product, but dislike the price... Can't win!
bobolinko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:19 AM   #14
LEXX
0-60 IN UNDER FIVE

Drives: 2008 Blk on Blk Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altitude View Post
You should have that checked out
LOL typo
LEXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:43 AM   #15
curtmaxwall
Banned

Drives: Toyota Yaris Spirit
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEEGOON View Post
Hi All,

Im new to the Yaris forum. I had a dealership mechanic tell me that I should get their fuel inejctor cleaning service? Is this just a gimmick? Or is this something that would really help? I have a 2008 4D base model Yaris. I havent noticed bad mileage. I have about 75K miles. What are your thoughts?
I think it's fine if you are going for the fuel injector cleaning. But there is no need to go for the mechanic, you can also do with your self. Just need some tools and basic procedure to follow.
curtmaxwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:17 PM   #16
DARKSCOPE001

Drives: 2011 Yaris sedan
Quote:
Why high octane fuel? do we need to have virtual classroom? evryone does know what the octane number means right? if you say the heat value of the fuel im going to virtual bop you on the head and if you say that higher numbers mean higher heat value im going to double bop you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

Thanks
Not trying to start anything
Sean Scott
DARKSCOPE001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:43 PM   #17
Hershey

Our wallets , our cars . Our decision . Double bop back to you .
Old 04-19-2012, 11:23 PM   #18
DARKSCOPE001

Drives: 2011 Yaris sedan
Quote:
Our wallets , our cars . Our decision . Double bop back to you .
alright works for me.
DARKSCOPE001 is offline   Reply With Quote