Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-06-2012, 03:05 AM   #1
drmax

Drives: tacoma 95
manual vs auto

Hello and nice place you have here. My 193K 4x4 '95 Tacoma is showing a little age and wanted to get either the Yaris or Corolla, to give it a brake. (keep it around for truck work) I want total mpg and I'm still on the fence between the Cor. and Yaris, but if I went Y, would a auto xmission wear out signifcantly quicker than a maual? I understand it mostly depends in the driver, but I'm speaking in general. I plan on keeping this vehicle for the long haul.
My truck is a stick, and I was kicking around the idea of an auto, for a change (also my wifes pref....but not her car) I just don't want to be kicking myself of getting an auto, if it will present ugly problems earlier on in its life. I desire high mpg and no maintenance. My daily trip is 50 mile round trips, 4 days a week...highway miles. (some city driving if wife takes it) Thx for the input and I have been reading a bunch.
DM

Last edited by drmax; 12-06-2012 at 04:46 AM.
drmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:04 AM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
If you are not a Do-It-Yourself-er, then an AT versus an MT probably doesn't make that much difference in maintenance costs, as you will end up with the expense of replacing the clutch sooner than you will have a failure of the AT. From what I have seen of prices that people have paid to have the clutch changed, and the fact that doing so requires pulling the tranny, swapping in a low-mileage used AT would likely not be much more expensive. Toyota ATs tend to last longer than many other manufacturers and I would expect to see 150K - 200K miles before it fails.

As far as fuel economy goes though, you would see a few MPGs higher with the MT over the AT.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:46 AM   #3
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Ive never heard of a Yaris or ECHO AT blow.

But Im sure it happens!

The thing I miss about my MT is not being able to slow down just taking your foot off the gas. ATs tend to just keep going! Makes for trouble in bad weather.

My ECHO with MT got 40 mpg in town my Yaris with AT does about 34.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:33 AM   #4
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmax View Post
Hello and nice place you have here. My 193K 4x4 '95 Tacoma is showing a little age and wanted to get either the Yaris or Corolla, to give it a brake. (keep it around for truck work) I want total mpg and I'm still on the fence between the Cor. and Yaris, but if I went Y, would a auto xmission wear out signifcantly quicker than a maual? I understand it mostly depends in the driver, but I'm speaking in general. I plan on keeping this vehicle for the long haul.
My truck is a stick, and I was kicking around the idea of an auto, for a change (also my wifes pref....but not her car) I just don't want to be kicking myself of getting an auto, if it will present ugly problems earlier on in its life. I desire high mpg and no maintenance. My daily trip is 50 mile round trips, 4 days a week...highway miles. (some city driving if wife takes it) Thx for the input and I have been reading a bunch.
DM
Bronsin mentions that his manual ECHO got better MPG than his automatic Yaris. CTScott writes that a manual will get better MPG than an automatic (Yaris). I have 233,359 miles on my original clutch and I'm getting over 40 MPG combined city/hwy.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:53 AM   #5
drmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
Bronsin mentions that his manual ECHO got better MPG than his automatic Yaris. CTScott writes that a manual will get better MPG than an automatic (Yaris). I have 233,359 miles on my original clutch and I'm getting over 40 MPG combined city/hwy.
So what year of Yaris do you have? I'm hoping I can pick up a 5 door m/t for around 14K. I'm in Indianapolis. Anyone know the website to print off the prices and take in to show dealer what one should be paying? I was looking at Edmunds, but unsure. Thx for the advice.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:57 AM   #6
drmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
If you are not a Do-It-Yourself-er, then an AT versus an MT probably doesn't make that much difference in maintenance costs, as you will end up with the expense of replacing the clutch sooner than you will have a failure of the AT. From what I have seen of prices that people have paid to have the clutch changed, and the fact that doing so requires pulling the tranny, swapping in a low-mileage used AT would likely not be much more expensive. Toyota ATs tend to last longer than many other manufacturers and I would expect to see 150K - 200K miles before it fails.

As far as fuel economy goes though, you would see a few MPGs higher with the MT over the AT.
The few mpg over 200k miles is a huge savings. I am a do-it-yourselfer...meaning I'll service the clutch, as I do with my Tacoma. (original no slip at 193K) I will not be the guy pulling/replacing a clutch or a/t, however. Thx, DM
Old 12-06-2012, 05:56 PM   #7
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
So what year of Yaris do you have? I'm hoping I can pick up a 5 door m/t for around 14K. I'm in Indianapolis. Anyone know the website to print off the prices and take in to show dealer what one should be paying? I was looking at Edmunds, but unsure. Thx for the advice.
I have a 2007. I'm using up all of the spaces in the details section, so I can't change 07 to 2007 without deleting something else and I don't want to do that. How tough you decide to be/can be re buying depends on your financial situation and your attitude---see the 'need help and suggestions about buying a certified pre-owned Yaris...' thread and read through both pages. Absolutely Red 12 and I have strong opinions and both of us paid cash for our Yari. He (Absolutely Red 12) paid $15,840 FINAL/OUT THE DOOR/INCLUDING TAX, ETC for his 2012 5-speed Manual 3-door --- only $1,840 more than you are budgeting for a used (likely previous generation) 5-door (without T & L-- I presume...which would shrink the difference). If you can either pay cash or arrange your own financing before contacting the dealer you could get the same percentage off the MSRP he did, IF you are willing to walk away. All a dealer can do is say no.

If for some reason (other than money) you don't want a new Yaris, check the Kelley Blue Book online (kbb.com). Off the top of my head, 14k sounds like too much for any used 5-door unless it is a '12 or a very low mileage '11 with MANY options....but then i look at it from a somewhat extreme point of view when it comes to value.

I don't know where Edmunds gets it's info, but Kelley Blue Book has been an inside the industry staple for decades.

Last edited by nookandcrannycar; 12-06-2012 at 06:08 PM.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:03 PM   #8
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
The few mpg over 200k miles is a huge savings. I am a do-it-yourselfer...meaning I'll service the clutch, as I do with my Tacoma. (original no slip at 193K) I will not be the guy pulling/replacing a clutch or a/t, however. Thx, DM
I agree, a few mpg over 200K miles makes a big difference. Another reason I prefer a manual (and the number who would care about this might be few) is that you can compression start the vehicle if necessary.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:17 PM   #9
drmax

SE model

Looks like this is my only option, being the SE that offers 5 door, manual xmission with power locks, window, cruise, etc. However, I was told in Indianapolis region, I could only have it built and delivered...unless they could find it at another part of the USA. Price wise...well if this is what I want, then I'll have to pay for it, but no doubt I would negotiate. My truck is going to live, as it was an injector....egads....part alone was $175. At least I'm (as of the moment) not forced into a decision on new car. What will suck, is that I won't be able to simply go to the lot and pick out the car I want, due to what appears to be restrictions as what is sold locally. Why does this have to be so difficult...
Old 12-09-2012, 01:48 PM   #10
narly charley

Drives: 2010 Yaris "L" 5 Speed
If you know how to properly drive a standard transmission, the factory clutch should last the life of the vehicle...
Old 12-10-2012, 06:21 AM   #11
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Do go and sit in one because if you are on the big side a Yaris can get a bit cramped and the Corolla might be more comfortable with close to same mpg..
Manual tranny is nice but if i were doing much stop and go driving i'd go for the granny tranny..
Old 12-10-2012, 08:34 AM   #12
harda toenail

Drives: Want a yaris
I prefer the MT because I like having control over the gears. When I drive an automatic, I feel it shifting way too much. I think MPG would be negligible as they both do well in that department.

Also, you say that your trip is 50 miles. That sounds like some daily interstate driving and I would assume the MT yaris will get up to speed quicker than an AT on the on-ramps. (can't say for sure. Haven't drove an AT but that's how it usually is)

I read somewhere on this site that the yaris uses the same clutch as a different toyota with a more powerful and larger drivetrain. Therefore it is very strong for this car and should last a long time.

On the size of the yaris, I'm 6'1" and am very comfortable in my hatch. An adult can easily sit behind me with plenty of leg-room. Mine is an 08 3-dr model.

Be sure to test drive the crap out of all the cars you are considering.

I like the hatch over the sedan or corolla because I hate bending into a trunk and taller things will fit in. I can also put 4 people in and a dog behind the back seat comfotably.

Overall, the yaris is a great car. It's bare-bones but gets you from A to B. It's easy and cheap to drive. One of my favorite things is the turning radius. I've never driven a car that can turn so sharp in a parking lot.
harda toenail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:01 PM   #13
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
I can have just as much driving my 08 auto hatchback on a curvy, hilly road as anyone with a manual transmission.

However, I am never suffering in stop-and-go rush-hour traffic like I would be with a manual.

The difference in gas mileage is nominal, and the automatic will require less maintenance over time. And, as I've always said, I can manually shift my automatic; but you can't get a manual to shift automatically!

Cheers! M2
Old 12-11-2012, 10:36 AM   #14
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by harda toenail View Post
I prefer the MT because I like having control over the gears. When I drive an automatic, I feel it shifting way too much. I think MPG would be negligible as they both do well in that department.

Also, you say that your trip is 50 miles. That sounds like some daily interstate driving and I would assume the MT yaris will get up to speed quicker than an AT on the on-ramps. (can't say for sure. Haven't drove an AT but that's how it usually is)

I read somewhere on this site that the yaris uses the same clutch as a different toyota with a more powerful and larger drivetrain. Therefore it is very strong for this car and should last a long time.

On the size of the yaris, I'm 6'1" and am very comfortable in my hatch. An adult can easily sit behind me with plenty of leg-room. Mine is an 08 3-dr model.

Be sure to test drive the crap out of all the cars you are considering.

I like the hatch over the sedan or corolla because I hate bending into a trunk and taller things will fit in. I can also put 4 people in and a dog behind the back seat comfotably.

Overall, the yaris is a great car. It's bare-bones but gets you from A to B. It's easy and cheap to drive. One of my favorite things is the turning radius. I've never driven a car that can turn so sharp in a parking lot.
I wrote that. A Toyota rep told me (around the time that my Yaris was new) that the Yaris has the same clutch as the Scion tC and 4 cylinder Camry of that time. I think the OP on that thread was soliciting opinions on the Echo clutch and the Yaris clutch. A post subsequent to mine (I think from someone other than the OP) stated that this was entirely possible because he had seen an Echo clutch and a Yaris clutch (not current installed in either car) and that they are definitely different. I think the OP on that thread is Canadian, and part of that discussion was about any equipment differences with the U.S. market.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:57 PM   #15
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
However, I am never suffering in stop-and-go rush-hour traffic like I would be with a manual.
This comment has always puzzled me because I've owned nothing but manual trans and never once felt it was a hassle in stop and go traffic. In fact I find automatics more of a hassle because you have to keep your foot on the brake to prevent the car from moving forward on its own.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:30 PM   #16
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Ever live someplace that has really bad rush hour traffic, like Washington, DC? I have, and it sucks with a manual, especially on hills. Trying to manipulate three pedals with two feet is a losing proposition, and having to use the handbrake to compensate just throws more work into the equation.

Maybe if you had owned an automatic for a while you'd realize this. I was just like you, arguing how manual transmissions were better (and back then, the were); but a few years back I saw the light and with technologies advancing as they are, it won't be long until an automatic transmission with paddle shifters will be standard on even economy cars such as our Yaris. Plus they will be more efficient and shift faster than any manual transmission ever could!
Old 12-11-2012, 09:28 PM   #17
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altitude View Post
This comment has always puzzled me because I've owned nothing but manual trans and never once felt it was a hassle in stop and go traffic. In fact I find automatics more of a hassle because you have to keep your foot on the brake to prevent the car from moving forward on its own.
Being someone who until last year had only owned AT vehicles for the past 30 years (the last MT I owned prior to my Celica Convertible was a VW bug that I owned before I was old enough to drive on the road), I find that pretty amusing. A year into owning the Celica, I am finally to the point where I no longer plan my route to avoid uphill stop lights and any form of traffic.