Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-12-2008, 07:38 PM   #37
Rafreaki

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback Base Model
Does the lack of wheel covers noticeably reduce mpg? Any idea how much? This is making me second guess the eBaying of mine...
Rafreaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 08:32 PM   #38
Bob_VT

Drives: 08 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren View Post
We'll be putting a tamper seal on their gas cap. If anyone looks "iffy", we'll search the car for extra fuel tanks... but I don't think anyone is taking it that seriously. (in fact, most of my locals are crapping out on me, this is going to be a very low-turnout)

We've already specifically allowed any and all modifications other than secondary fuel tanks. Any brilliant idea you have to improve your fuel economy... from lightening to aero to engine swaps... go for it! Any such mods will prove their worth in this kind of test, and that's a good thing. If lightening works (it does), then we all learn yet again that lightness is better for economy. If improved aerodynamics works (it does), we'll prove that, too. If swapping a VW TDI engine into a Suburban works... well... I wouldn't stand in the way of such an experiement!

But, we do want to be able to somewhat accurately guage the amount of fuel used.
Great Idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JnC View Post
Gorgeous Spitfire btw.

I've only gotten serious about hypermiling once (too much work to do to the level I experimented with). No prep other than 40 psi in my tires in my VW TDI. It was an 80+ mile trip, catching a draft behind a semi and trying a throttle/gearing modulation theory I concocted... which nearly wore me and the clutch out. All while staying within +/- 5 mph of the speed limit on an interstate hwy (55 to 65 posted). I didn't verify fillup, and figure the trip computer is at least 5% optimistic.

Heh, I think the light tank helped a little. ;)
I had a 2000 TDI Jetta 5 spd that I chipped with the wettenauer chip. I was getting 55 mpg when I paid attention. Overall maintenance costs killed me with that car and the yaris LB has more rear seat room.

Come to the DARKSIDE..... We have candy
Bob_VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 08:41 PM   #39
Appalachian Trail 2007

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
hey loren, 500snakz says its not possible to even get 48mpg so I'd give up on the 55 dream...

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10642

Appalachian Trail 2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 08:58 PM   #40
Bob_VT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appalachian Trail 2007 View Post
hey loren, 500snakz says its not possible to even get 48mpg so I'd give up on the 55 dream...

Uhhhhhh maybe Bailout will post a link to his gas log...... I think you will be surprised. 55 is high but 50 has been seen by many.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:59 PM   #41
drummerboy2004

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB Auto
Quote:

55 is easy in the MT... I have an AT, and have pulled over 50 for a trip longer than 200 miles. Oh, and 48... that should be about city mileage in the MT if you drive it well enough. You can do it!

Matt
Old 11-12-2008, 09:00 PM   #42
Bob_VT

here is Bailout's gas log.....
http://www.gassavers.org/garage/viewgaslog/2128

Old 11-12-2008, 09:01 PM   #43
Appalachian Trail 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_VT View Post
Uhhhhhh maybe Bailout will post a link to his gas log...... I think you will be surprised. 55 is high but 50 has been seen by many.
oh I know, it's 500snakz that doesn't believe

Old 11-12-2008, 09:03 PM   #44
drummerboy2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_VT View Post
You're right...

If you "FAS it up", you can easily exceed that as well...

Matt
Old 11-12-2008, 09:07 PM   #45
drummerboy2004

Wink

Quote:
oh I know, it's 500snakz that doesn't believe
Well then... I think we need to put Snakz on a plane! jk

Matt

Last edited by drummerboy2004; 11-12-2008 at 09:19 PM.
drummerboy2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 09:11 PM   #46
Appalachian Trail 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerboy2004 View Post
Well then... I think we need to put Snakz on a plane! jk

Matt

(Snakes on a plane...)
hahahaha yeah I got it the first time

Old 11-12-2008, 10:20 PM   #47
Loren
What?

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
I'm tired of these mother uckin' snakes on this mother uckin' plane!
too many mother uckers

Alright, let's not drag Mr. 500snakes through the mud here. He'll either learn or he won't, but he has nothing to do with this thread... let's be nice to the newbs.

Quick question for those who use FAS and have a Scangauge:

I gather that I need to set my mode to "Hybrid" to get the Scangauge to work properly. If I do that, will the Scangauge then give me accurate readings even through multiple FAS sessions? (no time to really test the theory before Sunday) Or will the ScanGauge ignore some or all of the FAS session and only report the MPG that occurred while the ignition is on?

----------------------- Loren@InvisibleSun.org -----------------------
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 10:30 PM   #48
drummerboy2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren View Post
I'm tired of these mother uckin' snakes on this mother uckin' plane!
too many mother uckers

Alright, let's not drag Mr. 500snakes through the mud here. He'll either learn or he won't, but he has nothing to do with this thread... let's be nice to the newbs.

Quick question for those who use FAS and have a Scangauge:

I gather that I need to set my mode to "Hybrid" to get the Scangauge to work properly. If I do that, will the Scangauge then give me accurate readings even through multiple FAS sessions? (no time to really test the theory before Sunday) Or will the ScanGauge ignore some or all of the FAS session and only report the MPG that occurred while the ignition is on?
I know I shouldn't, but I have FASed in my car...
It typically stays on while you are turning off the car, and records all but whatever happens while the car is off...
This being said, it fails to record for usually <1sec...
If you have it set to hybrid, you will have no problem... My numbers usually stay accurate with FAS usage.

ADDED: Oh, and during the FAS your MPG will read over 1000, but you are actually using 0 gas, so this may lead to inaccuracies over the course of a long trip. I only use it going to long red lights.

Matt

Last edited by drummerboy2004; 11-12-2008 at 10:41 PM.
drummerboy2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 06:53 AM   #49
voodoo22

Drives: Yaris Sedan (auto)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerboy2004 View Post
I know I shouldn't, but I have FASed in my car...
Matt
The manual states it's safe to flat tow the Yaris auto for short trips at low speeds on flat surfaces, so you should be ok FASing to red lights.

I've read logs where people who are really good at FASing manuals and P&G increase their mpgs by 20%.
voodoo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 08:00 AM   #50
Woody_Woodchuck

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB 5M
My SG2 appears to record accurately while FASing, I set it to hybrid mode. Turn the key off, until the dome light starts to turn on (about a second or so). I do lose that second of SG recording while the key is actually in the off position but not the entire trip. The SG will continue updating from the numbers you had before keying off then back on. I use it as an estimation tool, not taking the numbers as gospel anyway so that second or so does not matter to me. A quick, light clutch while in 5th (or 4th if speed is low) starts the engine.

I only just started using this technique, so not an old pro at it, but found this works for me.

EDIT: the iMPG readings while in FAS do vary for me not do the 99999 thing. Depending on speed they will vary from 1,000 to 3,000 iMPG.
Woody_Woodchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 08:22 AM   #51
drummerboy2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoo22 View Post
The manual states it's safe to flat tow the Yaris auto for short trips at low speeds on flat surfaces, so you should be ok FASing to red lights.

I've read logs where people who are really good at FASing manuals and P&G increase their mpgs by 20%.
Thanks... (I didn't stop doing it)... I just remembered not to do it for a very long time. I noticed I was trying to go further and further on the FAS (still under 30 though). I like it as well because your car is then off for the light, and as long as you know the lights, you can put it back on, and be ready to roll. Thanks again...

Matt
Old 11-14-2008, 10:32 PM   #52
enkid

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan
You're going to find it difficult - hypermiling and keeping your overall average speed up to 45 are conflicting goals. You'll probably have to drive above the speed limit for some segments to make up for lost time and stops.
enkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 11:58 PM   #53
Loren
What?

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by enkid View Post
You're going to find it difficult - hypermiling and keeping your overall average speed up to 45 are conflicting goals. You'll probably have to drive above the speed limit for some segments to make up for lost time and stops.
Yep, it will be a challenge. That's why I set it up the way I did. Where's the fun in doing something that's easy?

The plan is to P&G up to about 5 over and 10 under the speed limit in most places. (traffic permitting) The highest speed limit is 60, about half of the route is 55. The rest is slower, but will balance out. I've already segmented out the route and calculated times based on expected speeds for each segment. It works... now, if I can just stick to the plan!

----------------------- Loren@InvisibleSun.org -----------------------
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 01:28 AM   #54
drummerboy2004

I will try and make it to a future one of these...

I have school-related things the rest of the semester

Oh, and word of advice, if you didn't think to... bring your speed average up by hauling ass (hypermiler haul 60) when you hit the downgrades, that way you do not find yourself having to do this on a lot of the flats. Then you could ride your speed down in a great-length FAS.

Hope this wasn't common sense...

Matt