Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-20-2012, 01:43 PM   #1
Captain Slow
My Face Is Ridiculous

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris 3dr LB
Repairing very small scratches/dings?

My passenger side has one scratch on the door and one small ding (indentation from a car door) in the rear QP. Is there any realistic way of fixing these things without completely repainting the whole door or QP?

I've casually asked about stuff like this at body shops in the past and they usually make it seem like it's not worth messing with until it's time to repaint the whole car. That's absurd though, there must be a reasonable way to repair this small imperfections.
Captain Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:21 PM   #2
mr_miles

Drives: 2013 Yaris
get a paint pen for the scratch, and if the scratch is too tiny, use a toothpick to apply the paint. your local Toyota dealer will carry the correct color, and if they don't have it, they will gladly order them for you. they're inexpensive, too! I payed less than 10 dollars per pen, and they hold 14 ml of paint, or 1/2 fl oz.

For the ding, you can try popping it out from the inside, by setting a piece of wood on it and tapping it with a hammer. It might pop out :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarisugi View Post
Ahhh now I see. Your backseat pulls out, but you don't. :)
mr_miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:01 PM   #3
Yaristeve

Drives: 3-door hatch
You should ask one of those paintless dent repair places. If they say it can't be done economically, then it probably can't be done. It's their business model to fix dents for $50 or so, so they would be more objective about whether a small door ding can be fixed or not...
Yaristeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:03 PM   #4
Kar98

Drives: 2011 Scion tC
Some beeyotch keyed my car's passenger side all the way from the rearview mirror to the rear wheel O.O
Kar98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:21 AM   #5
birdman

Drives: '08 Blazing Blue Yaris LB
There are some good paintless dent repair demonstations on Youtube that might give you enough info for you to give it a try.
birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:58 AM   #6
suckerface
#1 Lemming

Drives: Light Blue '08 Yaris
If the scratch isn't too wide, a good rubbing compound might take care of it too.

As far as paint goes, rather than paying the dealer a huge price, check out automotivetouchup.com A 2oz bottle is only $15
Old 01-08-2013, 12:21 PM   #7
NEexpat

Drives: 2009, auto, 4dr LB
Echoing some of what mr_miles posted.

My experience fixing scratches and chips is that it is a real "process".

As far as small dents I can't help you.

I would direct you to the following link that I found invaluable when attempting this DIY.

HERE

What I have taken away from this,

1. Get your paint from the dealer, nowhere else. You can get a generic primer pen from an auto care place if needed, also a Rust neutralizer if required, such as Loctite Extend.
2. Buy a Turtle Wax Scratch Repair Kit about $12-$15 U.S. Has got everything you need, sanding pads, clear coat pen, buffing compound etc.
3. Toothpicks, toothpicks, toothpicks. More precise than paint pen brush, easier to control.
4. Patience, if you think you'll repair a chip or scratch in one go or in 30min forget it. There is prep time, curing, drying time, re-applying, sanding, clear coating, drying, sanding, buffing etc.
5. Lightly sand, and keep your sanding pad wet.

Good luck.

Last edited by NEexpat; 01-08-2013 at 12:32 PM.
NEexpat is offline   Reply With Quote