Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-07-2010, 01:06 AM   #1
Herbicidal
Just a Herbicidal maniac.

Drives: 2008 Yaris S Sedan Flint Mica
Question Looking for a new head unit...the last piece to my sound system upgrade.

Price-wise, somewhere in the $350 - $450 range, preferrably. I've been using Crutchfield for the research, then I'll look around for the best price. I'm still not sure whether to go with a single DIN or double. My main requirements are pretty simple. Blue tooth, USB and adjustable outputs for my two amps. Currently, one amp drives the front speakers with separates and the rear 6x9's. The other amp drives just the Alpine 10" subwoofer. I don't need to be able to watch movies either.

Right now I'm looking at the Pioneer AVH-P3200BT (link). I don't have an ipod and I have no plans to get one either. So that piece of functionality is not important. I just want a excellent sounding, reliable, easy to use HU. I'm wide open to suggestions! Thanks!
2008 Toyota Yaris (Vios) 'S' sedan, Flint Mica, dropped on TRD springs, TRD anti-sway bar. Tinted rear windows. Lenso Samurai SC02 hyper black 17" x 7" rims, wrapped in 205x40x17 Federal ss595's. Color matched eyelids. Vios badge. Body color trunk trim (was chrome). Lamin-X tint on rear tails. Custom center exit exhaust. Tanabe front strut tower brace.
Herbicidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 01:38 AM   #2
derickveliz2

Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Welcome back!

That AVH looks awesome!
I like the USB imput, I've been plying all my mp3 with a single USB driver.

D.
derickveliz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 09:37 AM   #3
sickpuppy1

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
Pick about three or four and read reviews. and I usually read the worst reviews first. I dont have an Ipod but I do use an mp3 player on long trips tot the lake or st louis ,springfield and such when stations arent available, so it is used at times. A handy feature. My next unit will have to have HD radio too. Not too many stations but quality is better. Kenwood and Pioneer seem to have the best in those categories. And suprisingly, Sony....But I cant bring myself to get a Sony, thats just me,lol just cant see it....
I'd really like to have a double din that would do movies too, but none are available with HD radio, or I should say not in my price range if at all
Old 11-07-2010, 09:25 PM   #4
geniusmusicman
The Quiet Guy

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris 4-Door 1.5L
I think you should go with Kenwood or Alpine. Both are very good for sound quality, but Kenwood is the cheaper and is a better value overall.
geniusmusicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 11:55 PM   #5
Herbicidal

Quote:
Originally Posted by derickveliz2 View Post
Welcome back!

That AVH looks awesome!
I like the USB imput, I've been plying all my mp3 with a single USB driver.

D.
Oh, I've been here, just lurking more than posting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickpuppy1 View Post
Pick about three or four and read reviews. and I usually read the worst reviews first. I dont have an Ipod but I do use an mp3 player on long trips tot the lake or st louis ,springfield and such when stations arent available, so it is used at times. A handy feature. My next unit will have to have HD radio too. Not too many stations but quality is better. Kenwood and Pioneer seem to have the best in those categories. And suprisingly, Sony....But I cant bring myself to get a Sony, thats just me,lol just cant see it....
I'd really like to have a double din that would do movies too, but none are available with HD radio, or I should say not in my price range if at all
Yeah, good tip about the worst reviews first. Then I see if anyone else mentions the same things, or if it's even important to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geniusmusicman View Post
I think you should go with Kenwood or Alpine. Both are very good for sound quality, but Kenwood is the cheaper and is a better value overall.
Thanks for the info. I had an Alpine deck back in 1985 and it was sweet then! I don't really know much about Kenwood's, but I'll try to keep an open mind.

Any comments on Pioneer's?
2008 Toyota Yaris (Vios) 'S' sedan, Flint Mica, dropped on TRD springs, TRD anti-sway bar. Tinted rear windows. Lenso Samurai SC02 hyper black 17" x 7" rims, wrapped in 205x40x17 Federal ss595's. Color matched eyelids. Vios badge. Body color trunk trim (was chrome). Lamin-X tint on rear tails. Custom center exit exhaust. Tanabe front strut tower brace.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:11 AM   #6
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
*meh*

I don't know if I could bring myself to use one...

he he

...an '85 Alpine? My first tuner was a 7909. Good $hit there!

I haven't seen too many sources that I'd use these days. I'm a minimalist, hence the 7909 as a first to the P-01 I'm using now. Very minimalist look.

Take a look at the Pioneer DEH 880 PRS
Old 11-08-2010, 06:53 AM   #7
blacks

Drives: toyota yaris sedan
Here's a cheaper price on ebay
Link
http://cgi.ebay.com/Pioneer-AVH-P320...#ht_2128wt_905
blacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 07:06 PM   #8
Herbicidal

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacks View Post
Here's a cheaper price on ebay
Link
http://cgi.ebay.com/Pioneer-AVH-P320...#ht_2128wt_905
Thanks, man. Still haven't made a decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqcomp View Post
*meh*

I don't know if I could bring myself to use one...

he he

...an '85 Alpine? My first tuner was a 7909. Good $hit there!

I haven't seen too many sources that I'd use these days. I'm a minimalist, hence the 7909 as a first to the P-01 I'm using now. Very minimalist look.

Take a look at the Pioneer DEH 880 PRS
Now you've got me thinking about the minimalist look. I don't want something flashy, more understated works for me, like the single DIN. I'm looking at the "older" Pioneer models too. Alpine had like two units with Bluetooth on their web site, not much of a selection. Haven't checked the Kenwoods yet.

Thanks, and I'll keep looking and reading...
Old 11-08-2010, 08:10 PM   #9
geniusmusicman
The Quiet Guy

There is a lot better selection with Kenwood decks when it comes to features and Kenwood usually give you the most value for your buck. Kenwood is what I am going with next. Here is the one I am looking at getting next:

http://www.crutchfield.com/s_113KDCX...4.html?tp=5684
Old 11-08-2010, 09:31 PM   #10
custom Lftback

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris Liftback
Send a message via Yahoo to custom Lftback
Personally I have the 3100, the model just prior to the 3200. I have been more than happy with this HU. It is reliable, the touch screen has never gave me problems and the screen is really good picture for a movie. Haven't found anything I dislike really. I'm gonna upgrade to the Bluetooth adapter for my phone soon. But good luck on your decision!!
Current Mods: MI Armrest; Full LED conversion (interior and exterior); RS spoiler; Tinted windows; Tanabe DF210 lowering springs; aftermarket door speakers; 12" RF P3 subwoofer with custom box wrapped in Neffy; seat covers; HID 8000K headlights; HID 3000K foglights; 13mm PG hub spacers; muffler delete with dual tip; eyelids; and.. A little red Domo mascot!
custom Lftback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 10:01 PM   #11
_S7V7N_

Drives: Yaris 4 Door Sedan
Send a message via Yahoo to _S7V7N_
I just got rid of my JVC dvd player and purchased the Kenwood Excelon KDC-X794,should be here this week, i do have an Ipod Touch, so the USB connection will come in handy, as well as running a 3.5 mm connector to run Pandora off my phone, as well as an MP3. I'm also curious as to how much the 4V outputs are gonna effect my system. I think the outputs on the DVD player were in the 2.5V range. If anybody else has the deck the only question i have is Kenwood makes an Ipod cable (Kenwood KCA-IP101 Automotive Spec iPod 1 Wire Direct Cable) is this one necessary to run the Ipod ?

Audio is under Construction Kenwood KDC-X794
Hifonics Zeus ZXI6.5C 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component Speaker System - AUTOTEK ATX65CX 6.5-Inch
Hifonics BXi 1210D - Crunch PowerZone P1400.4
(2)12 inch Kicker CVR's - 0 gauge from battery to Distribution block - 4 Gauge Power/Grounds to amps - Duralast Yellow Top - Big 3
_S7V7N_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 12:51 AM   #12
Herbicidal

Thanks everyone for your feedback and suggestions so far. I looked a bit more at the Kenwood on Crutchfield and found this guy: Kenwood Excelon KDC-X994 (link). I've decided I want the USB adapter to be in the back for a cleaner look. That way I can put a thumb drive on it and hide it from view.

This section from the Crutchfield Product Research Team caught my eye. Looks a like a TON of adjustablility when it comes to the sound stage:
Sound Excellence DSP: In order to optimize the sound quality, you can use the Sound Excellence DSP to set the type of vehicle and speaker sizes, locations, distances and x-over points. The DSP settings include the following:

•Cabin Setting: Choose from Compact, Full Size Car, Station Wagon, Mini Van, SUV, Mini Van (Long), or Off
•Speaker Setting: The speaker X'over is automatically set when the position and size of each speaker are select from the following items.
◦Front: Location (Door, On Dash, or Under Dash); Size: (6-1/2", 6-3/4", 7", 4"x6", 5"x7", 6"x8", 6"x9", 7"x10", OEM, 4", or 5"); Tweeter (None or Use)
◦Rear: Location (Door, Rear Deck, 2nd Row or 3rd Row; Size (6-1/2", 6-3/4", 7", 4"x6", 5"x7", 6"x8", 6"x9", 7"x10", OEM, 4", or 5")
◦Subwoofer: Size(10", 12", 15", None, 6-1/2" or 8")
•Digital Time Alignment (DTA): Choose from 0.00 to 14.44 feet for the Front pair of speakers, Rear pair of speakers, and Subwoofer distances in reference to the distance between your listening positioning and the locations of the particular speakers.
•X'Over: The Kenwood eXcelon headunit provides independent high-pass crossovers for the unit's front and rear speaker/preamp outputs, as well as a subwoofer low-pass crossover.
◦Front High Pass Filter: Frequency (30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80,90, 100, 120, 150, 180, 220, or 250Hz); Slope (-12, -18, or -24 dB per octave); or you can also select full-range
◦Rear High Pass Filter: Frequency (30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100, 120, 150, 180, 220, or 250Hz); Slope (-12, -18, or -24 dB per octave); you can also select full-range
◦Subwoofer Low Pass Filter: Frequency (30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100, 120, 150, 180, 220, or 250 Hz); Slope (-12, -18, or -24 dB per octave); Phase (Normal/Reverse); or you can also select full-range
Equalizer Control: Equalizer Control allows you to use one of the System Q presets, or set your own custom settings using the 5-band Equalizer. The EQ adjustments are as follows:

•Preset EQ: You can select from Natural, Rock, Pops, Easy, Top 40, Jazz, Game, iPod (you can select from 22 EQ curve types), or User.
•5-Band EQ: The User mode allows you to adjust the following 5-Band EQ (62.5Hz, 250Hz, 1kHz, 4kHz, 16kHz) settings.
◦Band Levels: Independent front and rear EQ level of -9dB to +9dB.
◦Bass Effect: Enhances the bass response of Band 1 (62.5Hz).
Position Control: For a better sound-stage you can select your optimal listening position. You can choose from All, Front Left, Front Right or Front. You can also select to manually fine tune the sound stage by selecting the distance for each individual speaker in the vehicle compared to your listening position. You can select between 0.00 to 5.58 feet for the Left Front Speaker, Right Front Speaker, Left Rear Speaker, Right Rear Speaker, Left Subwoofer and/or Right Subwoofer.

Now we're getting somewhere!!!! Still looking!
Old 11-09-2010, 01:11 AM   #13
derickveliz2

Looks cool!

my HU and sound stage only happens with the front speakers, I got rid of the ones in the rear.

D.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:47 PM   #14
geniusmusicman
The Quiet Guy

That one is an awesome deck. Sound is going to be amazing. It's not too expensive either.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:06 PM   #15
Palmer812

Drives: 2010 Meteorite Metallic LB
S7V7N you don't need the Kenwood cable. The one that comes with your Ipod works fine. The Kenwood is just a little thicker and holds up better. The KDC-X794 and 994 are both great units. If you are using your Ipod alot they are way better than the KDC-X494 because they have a 5 line display.
Palmer812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 08:19 PM   #16
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
look locally for that deck. If you don't find anyone you want to deal with locally, Palmer or I can help you out.

...I say that without consulting Palmer first...

I like that time alignment feature. That will help you find your center stage without having to buy a center channel...which so may people think they need.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:13 PM   #17
Herbicidal

SQComp - thanks for the offer! So does this one (KDC-X994) meet with your approval? I don't want you to drive down here and put your foot up my a$$ like Alien Mantis thought you'd do to Derick! I'm not finding really anything else comparable in this price range.

Crutchfield has it for $299 + free shipping and no sales tax for me. SonicElectronix has it for $299, but it's out of stock. At the moment, I'm leaning towards Crutchfield...

In their install notes, looks like I need this too, since I'm going from the factory integrated stereo:

Installation Details for your 2008 Yaris
» You must purchase a factory radio trim panel (Toyota part #55405-52640) in order to install an aftermarket radio.

Is that the right part? Do you guys know of a good place to buy from that won't bend me over?
Old 11-09-2010, 11:45 PM   #18
derickveliz2

Mine came with it, (from Crutchfield) it was good! as a promotion of $35 savings. I also got another one for $20 + $7 shipping, a little different but not as good.

My 2 cts

D.