Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-26-2008, 01:56 PM   #19
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Drives: 07 Yaris LB, 04 Cobra
One change I would make -

Make sure you break the oil filter loose BEFORE you drain the oil. You don't have to pull it off, just make sure you can turn it. That way if you have a problem getting it loose you can go get a proper tool and not be stranded.
largeorangefont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 06:44 PM   #20
Chupacabra
Banned

Drives: 2009 Yaris liftback
A few things I would change....

1) Engine and oil should be HOT to change the oil...don't let the car sit for an hour
2) Open the filler cap after you open the drain plug
3) Use wheel bearing grease to lube the filter gasket and spin on hand tight
4) I think that you let the car down before putting the drain plug back in. That's an important step.
Chupacabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 06:55 PM   #21
rstb88

Drives: Silver Hatchback
I disagree with the above, it doesn't need to be hot but not cold. Warm enough to run out smoothly not hot enough to melt gloves to your hand(running temp). Filler cap doesn't matter when opened, aslong as you open it. I would never use anything on a seal that would touch my engine oil unless it is the same oil(old or new) Granted its not much grease, but its an undesired product that may or may not contaminate my oil. Don't have to be down to put the drain plug it just gotta be down before you start the car and check the levels. Aweful hard to get under a Yaris to put the plug back in when its not on stands. I've always use old oil, 1 because unless I see metal flakes or grittyness I feel that it is safe to use 2 my finger doesn't reach far enough into the new oil to get some.

O I'm envious of that stove, I want it. It looks like either a Viking or Wolfe.

rstb88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 09:12 PM   #22
Benggolf2

Drives: 2008 Yaris RS 4-Door LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace View Post
I think it's 12 quarts before you can see the oil from the cap so why stop at 5?
Ohhhh, nasty but funny as hell!
On a serious note, wait for the oil to settle down (give it at least 10-15 minutes) after a drive and check your oil level carefully. Too much oil will cause your crankshaft to splash on the oil inside the crankcase and ..... create too much bubbles (like milk shake, eh) and consequently your engine lubrication will be compromised.
Old 11-27-2008, 06:01 AM   #23
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
It's tight, however I am able to do the oill change without using jacks. I keep cat litter handy. There could be a spill.
Old 11-27-2008, 08:33 AM   #24
Chupacabra
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstb88 View Post
I disagree with the above, it doesn't need to be hot but not cold. Warm enough to run out smoothly not hot enough to melt gloves to your hand(running temp). Filler cap doesn't matter when opened, aslong as you open it. I would never use anything on a seal that would touch my engine oil unless it is the same oil(old or new) Granted its not much grease, but its an undesired product that may or may not contaminate my oil. Don't have to be down to put the drain plug it just gotta be down before you start the car and check the levels. Aweful hard to get under a Yaris to put the plug back in when its not on stands. I've always use old oil, 1 because unless I see metal flakes or grittyness I feel that it is safe to use 2 my finger doesn't reach far enough into the new oil to get some.

O I'm envious of that stove, I want it. It looks like either a Viking or Wolfe.

You want the oil as hot as possible for maximum flow for the longest period. Opening the filler cap after the plug is pulled keeps the oil from shooting out all over your hands so you don't have to worry about a burn (basic physics). A small amt of wheel bearing grease on the gasket in not going to contaminate your oil....it more effectively seals the flange and allows you to remove the filter with ease at the next change (by hand). It doesn't even come in contact with the oil.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:23 AM   #25
06silveryaris

Drives: 2006 yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkuchta View Post
I'm not mad at the guy...I just don't want him to make a simple mistake and possible spin a main or rod bearing on a pretty much new engine in a great looking sedan.

06silveryaris, this last weekend I ran my oil level about halfway between full and low (about 3.2 qts. with filter at the change) on the dipstick, and never saw any fluctuation in oil pressure. Running too much oil, especially on the track, can lead to a dangerous loss of the oil's cooling and lubricating abilitys due to foaming (Thanks for elaborating Tomago).

never thought of that, I will def try it next time out. thanks
06silveryaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 02:42 PM   #26
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
how many people are going to give the exact same advice lol...
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 03:19 PM   #27
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
Quote:
Originally Posted by id3379 View Post
idk everyone hates me
nah man, everyone wants to show off their "super intelligent advice" on something that isn't really rocket science ;)
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 04:31 PM   #28
bzinn 1

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB
That was a fun thread.........we have a guy here that wears a Parrot suit when changing his oil.
bzinn 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 04:52 PM   #29
TheRealEnth
Beast

Drives: 2007 Blz Blu LB
Send a message via AIM to TheRealEnth
Besides the attacks, Great DIY, Wish i used this one when i last changed my oil =D. Just get some pro shots and edit them on mspaint next time and it will be cooler -thumbs up-

One you've taken a yaris for a spin, there's no turning back.
Its a Chao!!!
TheRealEnth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 05:48 PM   #30
Chupacabra
Banned

I don't think anybody was trying to give the guy a hard time as much as it was, we were/are concerned that he may be putting too much oil into the crankcase which is not a good thing EVER. Aside from that...we are all just having a little bit of fun with it...I mean, the guy did dress up as a banana. Let's all just lighten up a bit....
Old 11-27-2008, 09:26 PM   #31
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
I've never heard of Valuecraft filters, are they any good?
Also, you state to rub the oil on the filter's THREADS not the gasket.....
Great pics made it a fun and intersting DIY.
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 01:03 AM   #32
gid

Drives: '08 Yaris sedan , '08 Liftback
not trying to be rude , just don't want to see yeh have any damage done by overfilling . Imagine TOYOTA would void your warranty if something should occur . Its a trial and error for all . Keep up the humor , this world could use more of it .
gid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 08:57 AM   #33
TheSilkySmooth

Drives: 08 3DR 5M Bayou Blue; 09 Fos
Cool. I cant wait to get to work on Monday and check it! I can't see pic yet since I'm on dial up right now. Man, we all got to really carefully read the owners manual on the OC. and everything else. That oil level is critical to be at the line or less - maybe no more than 125ML over fill . Running with overfilled oil will void the warranty if you have engine failure with the overfill. I think there is a BIG warning in the manual about that. In the Motor, That crank and pistons are spinning like an airplane propeller at full power in the crankcase, and if oil is up around it will pick the fluid mass up and spin it like a tornado - possibly moving it away from the pump pick up, And you're loosing big time power and torque. But a lot of people said this already. Now lets have fun profilin in the yAR. ( I dont have a yar my sis has it but I take it every once in a while;) Its No Fiat, but it would be good maybe with hard strut bushings and lower arm bushing and a bit firmer springing)
TheSilkySmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 01:07 PM   #34
gid

Drives: '08 Yaris sedan , '08 Liftback
here's a car ramp D.I.Y. ( pics ) for 1st generation SCION XB ( boxy YARIS ) . Go to http://s49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...t=IMG_1243.jpg , could use 1 level for ramp instead ( plenty clearance with only 1 board ) . Then put 1 strip of wood across each end ( stoppers ) to prevent driving of ramp . Should take less than 1/2 an hour to make ( cut and nail ) .
gid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 01:20 PM   #35
mikenacarato
SIPNDEW

Drives: 15 STI
Send a message via AIM to mikenacarato
valucraft oil filters are sold at autozone and are made by the same people as stp and about 4 other brands.
mikenacarato is offline   Reply With Quote