Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-10-2016, 11:59 AM   #1
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
BRZ and WRX

Yes this topic has been discussed endlessly on other forums. I'm curious as to what you YW members think as some of you have pretty good track/auto x experience and have driven/built various cars in the past.

Here's my situation:

Within the next 3-5 years I plan on purchasing a used track/weekend (must keep it road legal) car that will be a hobby car for me. Something to have fun with on the track and autox or canyon weekend drive but also looks classy and can be driven around town if needed.

This will not be my DD, I'll keep my fun/efficient Yaris for that. Meaning that it won't be an issue to have this car out of commission if I'm working on it. I won't be driving the car in the winter, it'll be stored once there is salt on the roads.

Here in Ontario we have an etest that simply plugs into the OBD II port and check for any CEL's, if there is none and the vehicle's readiness monitors are all ok then you pass the test. This means that if the car has aftermarket software ability to choose which CEL's you don't want to trigger the light than you never have to worry about passing the etest (think accessport for the WRX). Having this ability on this car is a must for me to not have to worry about the e test every 2 years and being able to tune it. I plan on having this car for a loooong time.

Anyways, I've always thought I've wanted a 2011-2014 WRX as I love the wide body design and the aftermarket support is huge. That said, their re sale value is not cheap for what you get and after reading for countless days they are also not super cheap to keep running at the track.

Since the WRX's aren't light I'd be looking to build it to about 350-400whp which I think would be more than adequate for me. This all costs money which is fine but I also don't want to be throwing cash at the thing every months just to keep it reliable on the track/weekends. It's a hobby/build car not one I want to be under every weekend just to keep it running.

I've recently starting reading about the BRZ/FRS which i had initially dismissed due to their poor engine performance. However since I'm building either engine going boosted on a FRS/BRZ would bring about 250whp on a 2800lbs car that is much lighter than a WRX and has a better stock chassis for the track and balancing. Meaning less cash has to be thrown into suspension for it to handle exceptional at the track.

The cost of the FRS is also much less than a WRX. Now there is no accessport but there are some after market tuning options that I believe allows you to turn off CEL's you want (still not 100%). Where I'm at right now is the FRS/BRZ seems like a better solution for my specific use for this car and will cost less to do so. The car will be built for the track with performance in mind, not for comfort. I figured a SC BRZ/FRS will be just as fun for what I need it for than a built WRX which would cost much more and be less reliable.

Curious as to what some of you more experienced guys think would be a good path to go down in my situation
Old 03-10-2016, 02:22 PM   #2
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
I guess the real question you need to ask yourself, what is your end goal?

Each type of racing has certain rules to follow. Do you want to be competitive in a specific class in autocross or Track Time Trials?

Being competitive in a class in autocross may hurt you in competitiveness on the track by putting you in a class your car isn't prepped for. Vise Versa too, if you do a track car, it may put you in a class in autocross that you are not competitive in. Each form of racing has its rules and the way it is set up. Drag, drifting, autocross, Time trials, club, rally... they all have different rules and different setups. Being competitive in 1 usually compromises the others.

Unless you just want to do what you want to the car regardless of the rules and have fun. Just understand that other cars will be faster depending on the drivers.
Old 03-10-2016, 02:25 PM   #3
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
I know you are asking for BRZ or WRX. If you want a Autocross monster, the BRZ is kicking ass in the STX class, the 2015 WRX is killing it in Street class. As far as track monsters, both cars are in different classes and I don't know enough about track events to help in that aspect.
Old 03-10-2016, 02:38 PM   #4
tmontague

thanks Rice,

I'm not looking to win in anything specific per say, I'm more or less doing it for my own enjoyment and competing against myself all while having a blast pushing a car in a way that you obviously cannot on public roads.

I have no problem with other people beating me as there will always be people who are better drivers and/or spend much more money than I do on their car.

It just seems that the BRZ (supercharged) will be a less expensive/more reliable car for what I want out of it. As much as I love the WRX it just seems wasteful to use that for what I want simply because I love the design and the car.

You are right, they are both totally different cars and each in their own class, but I am trying to get an idea of what would be the most realistic car for my future use
Old 03-10-2016, 06:04 PM   #5
aspro

Drives: 2011 Yaris RS 5 door 5 spd
I own a 2012 wrx sti. I absolutly love it but keep in mind that awd requires a completely different driving style which make take you a while to fully understand its dynamic on the track. But once you do it is amazing what you can do with it. That being said, i believe rear wheel drive is better suited for short high corner tracks such as auto x as well as a lighter short wheel base vehicle. I would say go with the brz, slap a blower on it with some sticky rubber and good suspension and it will be unstoppable. Or just keep the motor stock and spend all your coin on real suspension/bracing and tires and just have fun out there. The motor is a great motor n/a it just lacks top end. But with some small bolt ons you can really stretch that boxxer out.

TRD sway bar, h&r coilovers, tanabe strut tower bar, konig feather, bfg sport comp 2, MI intake manifold, aem cai, dc header, trd catback, MI crank pulley, trd short shift kit, phillips hid kit, morimoto led fogs, parrot navi indash, alpine 6.5 speakers, alpine amp, alpine reverse camera, led interior lights, thule roof racks, netz badges...
aspro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 06:24 PM   #6
tmontague

I appreciate the valuable insight. Yes the two cars are completely different and that's why my question was never "which one is better" as those Q's are plastered all over the internet. I'm just trying to find the best of the 2 that would fit my needs/wants in a hobby car. After checking some prices of the centrifugal SC's I think the answer is becoming more obvious.

For an extra $4k USD the FRS can reliably push 280whp which is pretty solid for a light weight coup with good handling. This still has the price lower than a comparable year WRX which has almost triple the mileage.
Old 03-10-2016, 08:52 PM   #7
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
I own a '13 WRX and it's a ton of fun. However, the BRZ is also a ton of fun but in the way a Miata or even perhaps a Yaris is a ton of fun. It's not super fast, but it's a blast to drive. Think slow car fast, although it's not really that slow.

A WRX is fast. Period.

Go drive both.
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 01:06 AM   #8
invader166
Pumpman

Drives: 2019 Kia Soul EV Base
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirty-Nine View Post
I own a '13 WRX and it's a ton of fun. However, the BRZ is also a ton of fun but in the way a Miata or even perhaps a Yaris is a ton of fun. It's not super fast, but it's a blast to drive. Think slow car fast, although it's not really that slow.

A WRX is fast. Period.

Go drive both.
Totally agree! Everyone is different and has different things they want in a car. For example, my dad wanted a BRZ for the longest time. He probably spend a good 3 month researching about it, reading reviews, looking up specs, etc... The car looked soo good on paper, he was almost convinced, that that would be his next car.
Then, one day he finally did a test drive......and he didn't like it. To him, the seating position felt ackward, and everything in the cabin just felt cramped.
Now he's actually considering getting a '16 Civic, but that's a story for another time. Bottom line, drive both and see which one you like best and you feel suits your needs better.
Old 04-24-2016, 11:39 AM   #9
Frank the Tank

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris
I'm also looking for something used that I can turn into a track/weekend car. My budget is around $7-8k.

Any recommendations?
Frank the Tank is offline   Reply With Quote