Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-29-2016, 01:54 PM   #1
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Indy Cars Have No Airbags?

And they go over 200 mph and practically no one gets killed.

Why we got em?
Old 05-29-2016, 02:32 PM   #2
brushforhire

Drives: 07 HB YARIS, 15 JUKE, 00 TUNDR
We have them because we have seat belts and not harnesses, no rollcages, and seats that are more about comfort than safety.

Video of Seatbelt vs Harness

Actually our whole safety system is more about comfort, and just enough to keep us safe. IMHO. That being said, the chances of us being in an accident like a racecar would experience, is pretty slim.

Another thing that goes into race car safety, is the fact that so much of the car is designed to absorb the impact and reduce the force of the wreck. That is why they shred away from the cage the driver is in.

Our cars have "crash zones" that are designed to crumple to reduce the momentum, also.
Project so far: 2zrfe swap, Megan racing coilovers, TRD rear sway bar, whiteline bushings, RPM long tube header, midpipe, and DC sports xD exhaust, brake upgrade in front, MI stainless braided lines all around, matte paintjob, Takada cold air intake, various gauges, rear seat and belts removed.
Future: Turbo.
brushforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 03:28 PM   #3
CoryM

Drives: 2009 5-door, 5-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushforhire View Post
We have them because we have seat belts and not harnesses, no rollcages, and seats that are more about comfort than safety.

Actually our whole safety system is more about comfort, and just enough to keep us safe. IMHO. That being said, the chances of us being in an accident like a racecar would experience, is pretty slim.

Another thing that goes into race car safety, is the fact that so much of the car is designed to absorb the impact and reduce the force of the wreck. That is why they shred away from the cage the driver is in.

Our cars have "crash zones" that are designed to crumple to reduce the momentum, also.
Just to add to that, the main reason we use the less-safe 3-pt system is breasts..... seriously. Harnesses are not comfortable for women. Also should point out in case someone thinks harnesses are safer for the street, they aren't. DOT belts stretch, giving more time to dissipate the forces. With harnesses you need neck protection to reduce the chances of injury when they stop you so abruptly.

Cheers.
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 11:04 PM   #4
invader166
Pumpman

Drives: 2019 Kia Soul EV Base
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushforhire View Post

In addition to all that, they also always wear helmets for head protection and cranial shock absorption. People in street cars usually don't. Pretty sure hitting your windshield at 40+mph is not fun!
Old 05-30-2016, 06:19 AM   #5
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
I see I see.

On the other hand these racing accident happen at over 100 mph while ours are less than half of that. Maybe a third of that.

I think this breast issue is making us all less safe. Or manufacturers aren't creative enough to deal with it.

I hate to sound like Trump but maybe women shouldn't be driving/riding in cars. Using breasts as a design limitation is making our cars less safe than they could be.

On the other hand as a pilot I've seen women pilots wearing four point harnesses without complaint.

Last edited by bronsin; 05-30-2016 at 06:30 AM.
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 11:00 AM   #6
tarkus

Drives: 2006 Yaris RS 3-Door
The female pilots are putting up with the minor discomfort, either because it's their job they're being paid for, our else it's a fun thing. I've seen my wife put on a harness for a glider lesson without complaint. Skis aren't all that comfortable to wear either, but you don't hear anyone complain.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk
tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 01:19 AM   #7
eiriksmil

Drives: Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
I hate to sound like Trump but maybe women shouldn't be driving/riding in cars. Using breasts as a design limitation is making our cars less safe than they could be.
Yup.. Crack is whack..
eiriksmil is offline   Reply With Quote