Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-19-2015, 08:18 AM   #1
bearwin

Drives: yaris hatch
Rack and pinion replace or rebuild

Hi, i would like to inquire if you could rebuild the rack and pinion of yaris? Mine is a 2008 model electronic power steering
There is some slack when i move the steering fr left to right or right to left..and a little noise, "tok tok" sound...found out the r&p is the culprit..which is feasible, rebuild or replace it with used one? One more thing, is there something i should watch when removing the r&p, especially the electronic switches, sockets and stuff? I dont want to mess the eps.
Thanks!!!
bearwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 10:28 AM   #2
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
My rack went out at around 45k. An acquaintance of mine owns a body shop and he said he could get me a rebuilt one for about $400, which is a lot less than the dealership charges for a new one--something like $1200 if I remember correctly.
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 10:56 AM   #3
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
If you are absolutely positive that it is in fact the R&P itself (gears etc) then I'd recommend either rebuilding or buying a re manufactured unit. I'd avoid buying a used one as the same issue could happen again in the near future.

If you are not positive it is the R&P then drop the subframe and take a look. It could be bad bushings and/or a bad steering link that connects your steering wheel to the rack.

Both of those are much cheaper than a new rack. However, if it is in fact an issue with the rack itself then you'll need a new system.

Rock auto sells them for around $500CAD give or take and you get under $100 back for the core. I've yet to have any issues with parts I've purchased from that site and sometimes I get the cheapest ones possible.

I wasn't aware that this was a problem on the Yaris. I know highlander's had some issues with the steering joint which caused a similar noise/play as to what the OP posted about.
Old 11-20-2015, 12:40 AM   #4
bearwin

Drives: yaris hatch
Thanks for the replies...
Anyway, if im going to replace the R&p, is this direct bolt on? No need to worry about the electronics and ecu reset? Im not into computer and electronic stuff...im inclined more on mechanical....thanks again
bearwin is offline   Reply With Quote