Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-26-2008, 11:31 AM   #1
natethegreat38
Party like a Barack star

Drives: '08 LB MT
Avoiding the A/C

I know it is a pretty simple tactic, but I hadn't really thought of this until the other day: I try not to use the A/C for FE reasons but it gets warm in my car when the sun is shining right in, so I like to pace trucks to stay in the big shadow that they cast. This way I am constantly in the shade! It's a simple yet effective way to eliminate the need for A/C. Just my $0.02
Attached Images

Old 11-26-2008, 11:36 AM   #2
Chupacabra
Banned

Drives: 2009 Yaris liftback
Effective as long as you are not concentrating more on staying in the shade than actually driving your car.
Chupacabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 11:38 AM   #3
Malaya1221
super duper M*******TOR

Drives: 2007 jahPANIS egg(Sarao Phil)
i also remember reading here before the hack that using your A/C is a more efficient way of using ur fuel rather than rolling down ur windows because of the drag!
Malaya1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 11:43 AM   #4
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Drives: black sand lb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaya1221 View Post
i also remember reading here before the hack that using your A/C is a more efficient way of using ur fuel rather than rolling down ur windows because of the drag!
All true, plus you do not want to be caught in the blind spot of that big rig. I'd avoid doing this at all cost, no matter how hot you get.
KCALB SIRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 11:47 AM   #5
natethegreat38
Party like a Barack star

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCALB SIRAY View Post
All true, plus you do not want to be caught in the blind spot of that big rig. I'd avoid doing this at all cost, no matter how hot you get.
good point about the blind spot (didn't think of that), but I will do it anyhow so long as there is an empty lane on the other side of me. Thanks for the good point though
Old 11-26-2008, 12:40 PM   #6
voodoo22

Drives: Yaris Sedan (auto)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaya1221 View Post
This has been proven false by everyone I know of who has a scan gauge and a Yaris. In fact, you will find from people who have hard data that it's actually more FE to roll your windows all the way down than to use your A/C at any speed.
voodoo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 12:43 PM   #7
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoo22 View Post
This has been proven false by everyone I know of who has a scan gauge and a Yaris. In fact, you will find from people who have hard data that it's actually more FE to roll your windows all the way down than to use your A/C at any speed.
That might be for some cars, but it also depends on the vehicle we are talking about. Without testing, I'd say our windows, as big as they are, create much more drag than a Grand Prix.
Old 11-26-2008, 12:50 PM   #8
rningonfumes

Drives: Yaris Sedan 5MT
^ ...in this case, applied to Yaris, voodoo is correct.
Old 11-26-2008, 12:52 PM   #9
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

how? Wind, weather in general plays a huge part in this. These people he speaks of would have to be in a controlled environment then taken to several locations with different weather conditions. I'd have to disagree here, sorry
Old 11-26-2008, 02:49 PM   #10
natethegreat38
Party like a Barack star

i've always read (here on YW) that 45 MPH or less: windows cracked to an inch (or whatever is comfortable); 45 MPH or more: A/C, if necessary because too much drag caused by cracked/open windows is less efficient
Old 11-26-2008, 03:31 PM   #11
kargoboy

Drives: '07 Yaris Sedan/'03 Protege
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...ptions_feature
kargoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 03:46 PM   #12
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

I agree with some points in the article, but it still depends on the vehicle in my eyes and conditions. You can't tell me a windy day with 15 to 20 mph winds doesn't play into the cars drag with open windows on an LB yaris vs calm winds out of the southeast at 2 mph. My area, gets hit with crazy winds and I can tell you, without a scan gauge, I've seen the gas get sucked out while having the windows open vs having them open.

EDIT: I guess we can all agree to disagree on this. I just read 4 articles ranging from Car and Driver to Gasbuddy.com. It's 50/50 across the board. Some say yes, some say no.

Last edited by KCALB SIRAY; 11-26-2008 at 03:56 PM.
Old 11-26-2008, 04:09 PM   #13
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoo22 View Post
Windows down does hurt FE. Compared to windows rolled up with the AC off.
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 04:10 PM   #14
natethegreat38
Party like a Barack star

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCALB SIRAY View Post
I agree with some points in the article, but it still depends on the vehicle in my eyes and conditions. You can't tell me a windy day with 15 to 20 mph winds doesn't play into the cars drag with open windows on an LB yaris vs calm winds out of the southeast at 2 mph. My area, gets hit with crazy winds and I can tell you, without a scan gauge, I've seen the gas get sucked out while having the windows open vs having them open.

EDIT: I guess we can all agree to disagree on this. I just read 4 articles ranging from Car and Driver to Gasbuddy.com. It's 50/50 across the board. Some say yes, some say no.
Open windows vs. open windows? That's a tough one...
Old 11-26-2008, 04:12 PM   #15
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

They all say different with having the AC on or off so the conclusion I think would be to practice other gas saving tips like making sure tires are inflated to the proper psi, things like that. Good luck
Old 11-26-2008, 05:30 PM   #16
kargoboy

Drives: '07 Yaris Sedan/'03 Protege
I agree that a lot depends on the type of vehicle and conditions.
My only point was to debunk a myth that is widespread.

As for me personally, I will always prefer open windows to A/C no matter how hot it is
outside.
kargoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 05:51 PM   #17
PETERPOOP

Drives: 08 white liftback
lol. screw that! you're in their blindspot. no thanks.
PETERPOOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 06:58 PM   #18
voodoo22

Drives: Yaris Sedan (auto)
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_hickman11 View Post
Windows down does hurt FE. Compared to windows rolled up with the AC off.
I agree with that, that's why I never use the A/C or roll down the windows when I am alone in the car. I change into shorts and a t-shirt for the drive home from work and deal with the heat when it's over 30 degrees Celsius. I also don't use the heater, but instead where gloves and a toque when it's below freezing.

When the windows are fogging I pulse the defroster on as I roll down hills whenever possible.

Some people will call these tactics "not real world". I call it working to save my money and time. I personally don't find it easy to do anything as efficiently as possible.
voodoo22 is offline   Reply With Quote