Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-23-2011, 11:41 AM   #55
Fastskiguy

Drives: Caddie cts, Dodge ram 1500
Doesn't it take the same amount of energy to accelerate the car from 0 to 60 or whatever no matter how fast or slow that acceleration happens? And aren't motors a little more efficient in the rpm range where the torque is highest? And finally, isn't your top efficiency at the lowest speed where you can be in your highest gear? So....wouldn't relatively quick acceleration up to 40mph or wherever you drop into 4th or 5th (depending) be the best? I've heard 3/4 ths of the throttle mentioned before.

What's your take on this?

Joe
Fastskiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 06:16 PM   #56
bankrobber

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
I also have a station close to me with ethanol free gas. I dont think the extra few MPG will be enough to offset the higher price. I dont remember for sure but I believe ethanol free gas here runs 30-40 cents higher per gallon
bankrobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 11:16 PM   #57
rabbito

Drives: 2012 Toyota Yaris Sedan (Vios)
Quote:
Originally Posted by osmoq View Post
If there is already a thread about this secifically, can someone point me to it? I looked, but couldn't find one.
From browsing the threads, it seems like peole with manual transmission get really good gas mileage, but I've seen some reports with the automatic that aren't as good. I'm trying to figure out if this is a coincidence based on what I've seen. Can people post whether they have a manual or automatic and their average mpg? Or if anyone knows real-world mpg manual/auto comparison reports, that would be great.
I ask because I was planning on getting a manual, but I'm looking at a specific automatic one, now, and I want to make sure I'll get the max gas mileage because that's one of the main reasons I want the car.

Thanks!
getting 9km per liter in the city...13km+ on the high way..E85s really good on the highway...

Sent from my SM-J710F using Tapatalk
Electric: Volt Stablizer & Multi gauge obd2
Cosmetic: Toyota red emblem
rabbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 10:43 AM   #58
tarkus

Drives: 2006 Yaris RS 3-Door
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbito View Post
getting 9km per liter in the city...13km+ on the high way..E85s really good on the highway...
You have a very highly modified car, so I don't think your results are very useful in the context of this particular discussion Apart from that, I love what you've been doing with your Yaris.

Sent from my LG G2 with CM13 using Tapatalk
tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 10:47 AM   #59
rabbito

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarkus View Post
You have a very highly modified car, so I don't think your results are very useful in the context of this particular discussion Apart from that, I love what you've been doing with your Yaris.

its not highly modified...i dont even have any stage 2 parts...lol. .😅😅😅
you should see what they do down here in asia...pretty crazy..

Old 11-01-2016, 02:28 PM   #60
tarkus

No reprogrammed ECU? No funny gasoline? ;-)

Old 11-02-2016, 02:41 AM   #61
rabbito

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarkus View Post
No reprogrammed ECU? No funny gasoline? ;-)

cheapes ecu set up ever $300...early timing...thats it..thats like 10hp gain lol...E85 isnt even fuel tuned yet...
all the ecu were sold out except the cheapest ecu which was early timing advance...im waiting for 60mm throttle body to arrive so i can add fuel injection ecu...
the complete piggy back and standalone is way too expensive...😣😣😣

Old 11-02-2016, 08:19 AM   #62
jcboy

Drives: Sedan 07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastskiguy View Post
Doesn't it take the same amount of energy to accelerate the car from 0 to 60 or whatever no matter how fast or slow that acceleration happens?

Joe
Hey Joe, i'm Joe too.

No it doesnt. Physics alone will tell you that you need more force to accelerate a body with the same mass faster.
F=m(a)
Higher a, bigger F.
W=F(d)
Work is directly proportional to Force, hence higher a, more Work.

Work is practically energy, so theres your answer.

Sent from my G9208SS using Tapatalk
jcboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 10:22 PM   #63
sickpuppy1

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastskiguy View Post
Doesn't it take the same amount of energy to accelerate the car from 0 to 60 or whatever no matter how fast or slow that acceleration happens? And aren't motors a little more efficient in the rpm range where the torque is highest? And finally, isn't your top efficiency at the lowest speed where you can be in your highest gear? So....wouldn't relatively quick acceleration up to 40mph or wherever you drop into 4th or 5th (depending) be the best? I've heard 3/4 ths of the throttle mentioned before.

Joe
The basic is this,"A body at rest tends to want to stay at rest and a body in motion tends to want to stay in motion."
If you have a heavy object and you want it to go X mph in a hurry it takes multiple X time more energy to get it there.
If you have to push a car you can lean on it and get it rolling and then walk it forward . Or if your in a hurry and push real hard to get it going NOW it works too but takes alot more energy to do it that way. Its heavy and it doesnt wanna move so it take effort to get it going, much how much effort depends how power you throw at it.
Old 11-10-2016, 07:41 AM   #64
Zaphod

Drives: Big Yellow
When it comes mileage you can't beat a manual gear box. You can throw it into neutral and glide, or keep it in your tallest gear for DFCO, or even just engine brake every chance you get with DFCO to save gas. Of course idle can typically run lower in neutral at a stop with a manual. All of these things mean you have to think preemptively. My wife learned to drive a stick on the Yaris a year ago, and one of the comments she made after getting used to it was that you really tend to think ahead a lot more. As an avid cyclist and motorcyclist I can say that thinking ahead and reacting preemptively is definitely the safer way to go anyway

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120AZ using Tapatalk
Zaphod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 01:18 PM   #65
kevinj93

Drives: 2013 NCP130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod View Post
My wife learned to drive a stick on the Yaris a year ago
That would be Trillian?

Unfortunately my wife refuses to learn to drive a manual, so I'm stuck with an automatic. I normally drive the Yaris, and she drives our other car, a Toyota Aurion (that's the V6 Camry here in Australia). It has a long term fuel average display (digital) and a string of LEDs as an instant fuel usage display. At least that has taught her to be a bit more gentle on the throttle....
Old 11-10-2016, 02:54 PM   #66
tarkus

I often coast in neutral on an auto gearbox. Legality be damned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinj93 View Post
That would be Trillian?
Ha ha, good one!
Having two heads means he can avoid accidents by looking two different directions at the same time. Just as long as he doesn't switch on his Yaris' Infinite Improbability Drive

Old 11-10-2016, 03:24 PM   #67
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Have towel. Will travel.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 01:28 AM   #68
roachslayer

Drives: 2013 SE
I'm a little shocked by the claims in this thread about 30 MPG+ in city, and even 40/70. What?? Either I'm reading this wrong, or I've got quite a different setup.

Here is my situation:
  • 2013 Yaris SE, 4 door
  • Auto Trans (don't laugh, its the only way the wife would go for the Yaris)
  • 34k miles
  • 85 octane gas
  • 5000 ft elevation
  • 23 MPG City (according to Yaris computer)

dunno about hwy yet, nor have I calculated my own fill ups to compare with what Yaris thinks - haven't owned it long enough. But assuming the computer is even in the ball park, this is a far cry from what folks are claiming here, no?
roachslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 01:31 AM   #69
rabbito

Quote:
Originally Posted by roachslayer View Post
I'm a little shocked by the claims in this thread about 30 MPG+ in city, and even 40/70. What?? Either I'm reading this wrong, or I've got quite a different setup.

Here is my situation:
  • 2013 Yaris SE, 4 door
  • 34k miles
  • 85 octane gas
  • 5000 ft elevation

dunno about hwy yet, nor have I calculated my own fill ups to compare with what Yaris thinks - haven't owned it long enough. But assuming the computer is even in the ball park, this is a far cry from what folks are claiming here, no?
i was getting 11-12km on normal gasoline..octane 91...-_-
now about avg 10km with E85...sometimes more than 12km on the highway...

Old 12-09-2016, 03:04 AM   #70
KimmoKekki

Drives: Yaris T-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by roachslayer View Post

Here is my situation:
  • 2013 Yaris SE, 4 door
  • 34k miles
  • 85 octane gas
  • 5000 ft elevation

Is this gasoline you are using E85 which is bio ethanol ?
Ethanols consumption is said to be 30% more than normal additional gasolines !
If so then your readings are not bad at all !
KimmoKekki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 09:57 AM   #71
roachslayer

Drives: 2013 SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimmoKekki View Post
Is this gasoline you are using E85 which is bio ethanol ?
EDIT:
No, it's not E85 bio. It's just petrol (which apparently is mixed with maybe 10% ethanol around here). I run 85 octane because that is normal at this altitude. When I lived at sea level the lowest you could buy was 87. (Utah vs Seattle, WA)
roachslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 10:18 AM   #72
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
I know that back in the day when this forum was loaded with hyper-milers, many reported upwards of 46-48 mpg. Fifty was the holy grail. Again, that was by applying aggressive hyper-miler techniques.

I have always clocked between 30-33 mpg with my car. That's with over-sized wheels/tires and driving everywhere with a healthy pace. I'm sure I could get closer to 40 mpg with OEM wheels and by taking off my lead shoes.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
automatic, manual, mpg