Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-05-2017, 09:39 PM   #1
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
2006 YarisRS 'Renovations'

Picked up this great little car for $2200.00 Canadian. It has 174000 km on the odometer and it's in great shape. It came with 4 new Michelin Defender tires - about a month old. I've ordered a used exhaust manifold from eBay for $45.00 and bits and pieces (gasket, donut, spring bolt kit etc). The manifold flange ears are gone, as in not even there anymore. The car's body is in fantastic shape for an older car driven in the salt and slush. The underbody, rocker panels, doglegs etc are all excellent. I hope to keep it this way and I have gallons of old ATF for interior panels, Fluid Film underneath.

A few jobs I'm working on:

This job is done. Driver's rear wheel well (so glad that the previous owner at least put some paint over the ding:

This is a WIP. Hatch: This took a lot of work behind straigtening out and reinforcing. The outer skin had detached from the inner frame at this corner:

This job is a WIP. Thresholds (various pics from both sides)

This job is done. Headlight restoration. These lights were both very oxidized and quite yellow. I wet sanded and polished. No clearcoat. I use my Klasse High Gloss Paint Sealant.

The hatch lock did not work. Thanks to this forum, I found a thread on disassembling it and cleaning. Also, the nylon tab that swings the latch back was broken off. Fortunately, it was in the bottom of the hatch. A little hot glue fixed that. I wasn't looking forward to buying a latch assembly, so was really glad to see that it was repairable.

Since I love Rock Auto, I've ordered rear brake drums (these are a bit rusty), a hardware kit and shoes. Also, ordered 6L ATF, a transmission filter, 4 oil filters, 4 Denso Iridium plugs, and a couple air filters.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 09-13-2017 at 10:30 PM.
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 11:15 AM   #2
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
You hit the ground running with this one!

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 03:07 PM   #3
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
You hit the ground running with this one!
Thanks. Well, it's such a great little car and there was a lot to work with. I took it to a body shop today; the same one I went to before I did the body work. I was quoted ~$600.00 - $700.00 to do the 2 areas initially. With the body work done now, the shop will charge me around $300.00 to paint it. I'm not fully satisfied with the job the rattle cans did (or the job "I" did with the rattle cans, lol). It looks OK, but the rest of the car is in such good shape, the 300 is worth it IMO. I set myself a budget of $1500 ($1800 at the outside) for repair work. So far I'm only in for about $250.00. I have a battery light flickering and have read that the connector or the voltage regulator are possible causes. If the connector isn't the issue, I may grab a reman alternator and pop that on. The seller said the light had been on for 3 years with no issues. Voltmeter says the alternator is producing 14V at idle and no starting issues at all - lots of crank power, but the DRLs are out and I read that may be related to the voltage regulator.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
Old 09-06-2017, 03:28 PM   #4
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Yeah, the DRLs will be dead with the regulator acting up. My battery light intermittently flickered for several years before eventually staying lit solid.

Sent from my Elite_5_5_Octa using Tapatalk
Old 09-06-2017, 03:29 PM   #5
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
It's coming along nicely! Looking forward to more photos as you get it all sorted out.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 04:14 PM   #6
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
Yeah, the DRLs will be dead with the regulator acting up. My battery light intermittently flickered for several years before eventually staying lit solid.

Thanks! Great to know. Rather than take the alternator apart to install a new regulator, I think I'll just got for a whole reman..

Old 09-06-2017, 04:15 PM   #7
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
It's coming along nicely! Looking forward to more photos as you get it all sorted out.
Thanks Kimona! I'll be sure to post more.

Old 09-06-2017, 05:23 PM   #8
hairygityeti
Sir Rustalot

Drives: Toyota Yaris silver 2000 reg
Gonna look nice!
Old 09-06-2017, 06:46 PM   #9
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairygityeti View Post
Gonna look nice!
Thanks! I hope so. I got lucky as silver is my fav color choice in automobiles. :)

Old 09-07-2017, 10:44 AM   #10
Bart68

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Smile

I had a 06 Corolla that did that with the battery light and I was talking with a
good friend of mine that told me to whack the alternator while the car is
running, he said the brushes probably just have crud on them. So I took my
tire iron and with the car running gave it a few good whacks, the light never
came back on and I drove that car for another 200,000 with no more issues.
Not sure if that will fix your problem or not but it an easy cheap fix if it does.

Bart68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 11:39 AM   #11
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart68 View Post
I had a 06 Corolla that did that with the battery light and I was talking with a
good friend of mine that told me to whack the alternator while the car is
running, he said the brushes probably just have crud on them. So I took my
tire iron and with the car running gave it a few good whacks, the light never
came back on and I drove that car for another 200,000 with no more issues.
Not sure if that will fix your problem or not but it an easy cheap fix if it does.
Well there you go. I just picked up a reman unit this morning. It's still in the box, so I'll try tapping it first. Thanks!

Old 09-08-2017, 10:02 PM   #12
06YarisRS

I replaced the alternator and the battery light is gone. Yay!

Old 09-09-2017, 10:54 AM   #13
06YarisRS

Final priming is done. Just a light sand with 320 and then the base and clear. Hoping to be done today.

Old 09-09-2017, 11:04 AM   #14
WeeYari

Where in NB are you? I spend two weeks every year in Greater Moncton visiting in-laws.

Old 09-09-2017, 11:19 AM   #15
WeeYari

I'm hoping I nipped my door sills in the bud. Since the plastic trim wears through the paint, I cleaned up my early development of rust and sprayed several coats of bed liner along the area where that trim makes contact.

Old 09-09-2017, 12:05 PM   #16
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
Final priming is done. Just a light sand with 320 and then the base and clear. Hoping to be done today.
Looking good. You're moving quickly.

I guess I would have removed the rear mud flaps rather than taping them.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 10:17 PM   #17
06YarisRS

Quote:
Where in NB are you? I spend two weeks every year in Greater Moncton visiting in-laws.

Hey WeeYari.

We live in Beaver Harbour, near St. George/Pennfield. Moncton is a regular visit for us in the summers. Kids love it! I was in Moncton about 3 weeks ago test driving small cars.

Old 09-09-2017, 10:26 PM   #18
06YarisRS

Quote:
I'm hoping I nipped my door sills in the bud. Since the plastic trim wears through the paint, I cleaned up my early development of rust and sprayed several coats of bed liner along the area where that trim makes contact.

I know what you mean about the trim scraping the paint off. I think it's just shallow surface rust but unsightly none-the-less. I usually put some 3M film under the trim after I restore them, as well as wrap it around the wear points of the door threshold. Puts an end to scratches/scraping. It's the best cheap fix I know of.

Also, I picked up another 1/2" high speed steel countersink bit and I already have a box of 100 body plugs. Yesterday I drilled a hole in the top of the rocker - about midway on the threshold. I hit another steel plate just 1/4" below. However, my goal was achieved when I dumped about 1/2 L of used atf in there with my transmission funnel and it ran out along the pinch seam of the rockers and into my waiting container. I use a piece of old eavestrough to collect and 'recycle' my atf rustproofing. :)

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 10-04-2017 at 04:02 PM.