Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Regional Forums > Hawaii
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-05-2017, 05:20 PM   #1
bradbowl
Hatchbacks for the win

Drives: Hatchbacks
Yaris hatchback is rare in da islands

I just talked to a Servco Toyota Sales Manager (the only Toyota dealer in the state) about why there are not any new Yaris hatchbacks for sale in Hawaii and he said that they never sell well and the shipping from France is a deterrent.

They do not have any 2017 Yaris hatchbacks and do not have any coming in. They have ordered only TWO 2018 Yaris hatchbacks (both LE models) for the rest of the year which are slated to arrive sometime in October. Of course, they could special order one for me with a deposit.

Not much love for the Yaris in the islands! :(
bradbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 09:26 PM   #2
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
Not much love for the Yaris in the the U.S. overall, period. I believe that rental car companies buy more new Yaris every year in the U.S. than actual individual buyers do.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 10:24 PM   #3
bradbowl
Hatchbacks for the win

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalispel View Post
Not much love for the Yaris in the the U.S. overall, period. I believe that rental car companies buy more new Yaris every year in the U.S. than actual individual buyers do.
Hmm, maybe that whale mouth front end scares people away. :)

I bought a 2007 Yaris when they first came out in Oregon and loved it but decided to sell it when I moved to Hawaii. On a recent trip to Japan, I saw a totally race-ready Vitz at the Toyota City Showcase that resembled my old Yaris and it made me want to get another one.

I'm surprised that the popularity has went down so much. I waited six weeks on pre-order to get one 10 years ago. I guess a lot has changed in ten years.
Old 07-06-2017, 09:04 AM   #4
heeroyuy01195
Post count means nothing.

Drives: AW11, NCP91, Old Motorcycles
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradbowl View Post
Hmm, maybe that whale mouth front end scares people away. :)

I bought a 2007 Yaris when they first came out in Oregon and loved it but decided to sell it when I moved to Hawaii. On a recent trip to Japan, I saw a totally race-ready Vitz at the Toyota City Showcase that resembled my old Yaris and it made me want to get another one.

I'm surprised that the popularity has went down so much. I waited six weeks on pre-order to get one 10 years ago. I guess a lot has changed in ten years.
I think the market in general has shifted, gas prices dropped a bit in my area so I'm seeing less and less "gas misers" than I did before. Not sure about the rest of the US but I think everyone is drifting away from the smaller cars. On a side note, other hatchbacks in the class seem to pack more punch and have more options/features for the money. I will say this though, my brother-in-law's 2015 Versa Note has about the same mileage as my 07 Yaris and he's already having mechanical issues. Mine is still going strong *knock on wood*
heeroyuy01195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 02:06 PM   #5
justanotherdrunk

Drives: 2016 SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalispel View Post
I believe that rental car companies buy more new Yaris every year in the U.S. than actual individual buyers do.
i rent cars regularly for trips/ just for fun/ business

yea my local hertz always has yarii lined up out front
justanotherdrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 02:30 PM   #6
bradbowl
Hatchbacks for the win

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherdrunk View Post
i rent cars regularly for trips/ just for fun/ business

yea my local hertz always has yarii lined up out front
In my search for a Yaris hatchback, I've seen exactly what you're describing. There seems to be many 2015 Yarii for sale for around $10k that were rentals in the Sacramento CA area. In Hawaii, there are many Yaris sedans that are for sale that were rentals. I believe the most common hatchback rental cars I've come across on Oahu and Maui is the Chevy Sonic and Nissan Versa. Although once I did get a VW Golf as a rental, that was pretty nice.
Old 07-06-2017, 02:35 PM   #7
bradbowl
Hatchbacks for the win

Quote:
Originally Posted by heeroyuy01195 View Post
I think the market in general has shifted, gas prices dropped a bit in my area so I'm seeing less and less "gas misers" than I did before. Not sure about the rest of the US but I think everyone is drifting away from the smaller cars. On a side note, other hatchbacks in the class seem to pack more punch and have more options/features for the money. I will say this though, my brother-in-law's 2015 Versa Note has about the same mileage as my 07 Yaris and he's already having mechanical issues. Mine is still going strong *knock on wood*
Yeah, I hear what you're saying. The Honda Fit is a very compelling hatchback. They are very popular here. I test drove one and I can see why. That lane watch camera on the EX trim is really cool.

And the Nissan Versa Note goes on sale for pretty cheap here (if you don't mind the base model with crank windows and no power door locks).

BTW, I love the "post count doesn't matter" in your profile.
Old 07-14-2017, 12:36 AM   #8
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

Drives: Me: Nuts:
I check Servco inventory every week. Its always zero. Sucks.
yarisugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 03:59 AM   #9
bradbowl
Hatchbacks for the win

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarisugi View Post
I check Servco inventory every week. Its always zero. Sucks.
You could buy one of the two 2018s that they ordered for this Fall. :). They were both LE automatics. :) Or perhaps you're looking for a "vintage" one?

I see an older blue one park at LCC. It's kinda crazy to see so many Honda Fits, but so few Yarii. I don't think there will be an 808 Yaris Club starting up anytime soon. Haha!
Old 07-22-2017, 03:35 AM   #10
fujiwaru

Drives: 08 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Quote:
You could buy one of the two 2018s that they ordered for this Fall. :). They were both LE automatics. :) Or perhaps you're looking for a "vintage" one?

I see an older blue one park at LCC. It's kinda crazy to see so many Honda Fits, but so few Yarii. I don't think there will be an 808 Yaris Club starting up anytime soon. Haha!
Maybe we should start another one now that i'm finally working on my car
Old 07-22-2017, 01:44 PM   #11
bradbowl
Hatchbacks for the win

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujiwaru View Post
Maybe we should start another one now that i'm finally working on my car
Let's do it!

Reading back through this forum category it looks like there used to be a pretty active community back in the day. Back then it appears Servco ordered more than 2 Yarii per year.
Old 07-24-2017, 04:47 AM   #12
fujiwaru

Drives: 08 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Let's do it!

Reading back through this forum category it looks like there used to be a pretty active community back in the day. Back then it appears Servco ordered more than 2 Yarii per year.
It was pretty active when I first joined here when I got my sedan, but that was back when I was a senior in high school. Now there isn't much, and i'm still driving my yaris Can't beat reliability though
fujiwaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 08:46 PM   #13
bradbowl
Hatchbacks for the win

I've seen a 2009-2011 Blazing Blue Yaris S driving around Pearl City recently. "S" versions seem like unicorns. I took a picture to show my wife and she thought I was a stalker... :)
Old 05-18-2018, 06:38 PM   #14
DarkShadowFox
Banned

Drives: 2015 Yaris LE 3door 1F7
im pretty sure hawaii is on fire right now... >w<
DarkShadowFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 03:06 AM   #15
bradbowl
Hatchbacks for the win

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkShadowFox View Post
im pretty sure hawaii is on fire right now... >w<
On Kauai last month, they had 4 feet of rain in 24 hours (a new US record) and now there's a volcano spewing lava and ash on the Big Island.

Good time to visit!
Old 05-19-2018, 12:47 PM   #16
DarkShadowFox
Banned

Drives: 2015 Yaris LE 3door 1F7
Quote:
On Kauai last month, they had 4 feet of rain in 24 hours (a new US record) and now there's a volcano spewing lava and ash on the Big Island.

Good time to visit!
yeah the volcano is just a giant earth pimple that popped hohohoho.
DarkShadowFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 11:53 PM   #17
bradbowl
Hatchbacks for the win

If anyone is interested in parts, there is a 2009 Yaris S hatchback (Yellow Jolt) being parted out by the junkyard on Sand Island:

https://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/...588915327.html
Old 07-14-2018, 03:19 AM   #18
bradbowl
Hatchbacks for the win

Spotted a rare 2018 Yaris at Home Depot.

It looked great in person. Except the poor thing was covered in bird doodoo.

There is still one 2018 Yaris left in Hawaii at the dealership. It's a silver SE trim with manual transmission. A sales manager said the next batch of Yaris is slated to arrive in March 2019.
Attached Images