Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-09-2018, 05:24 PM   #1
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
I Smashed My TPS Valve Stem!

I was checking my front brake pad thickness and had a stuck wheel in the process. Forgetting my protocol for dealing with that (loosening the lug nuts and driving a short distance) I wacked the wheel with a sledgehammer about 30 times. Dumb! I hit the valve stem and see the two pics for the results. The red plastic ring came out of the valve stem and the cap was split in two and the stem was damaged per the pic.

My initial thought is to leave it be. I checked the tire pressure without letting the air out of the tire. Through a stuck needle. So Im thinking its fine.

Is it? Do you anticipate problems? Should I have the shop fix it?

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0181[1].JPG (130.8 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0178[1].JPG (75.1 KB, 50 views)
Old 04-09-2018, 07:26 PM   #2
ex-x-fire

Drives: 2010 yaris 3 door hatch
Walmart does a repair where they drill out the stem, tap new threads, and install a new stem w/ lock tite.
ex-x-fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 07:28 PM   #3
ex-x-fire

Drives: 2010 yaris 3 door hatch
Here's a video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Pywp8BHP_w
ex-x-fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 08:19 PM   #4
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
TPMS valve stem sensor parts

Could the red ring have been in the valve cap as the seal that supposedly makes the cap tight enough to hold pressure if the valve core parts start leaking?
What is a "stuck needle?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
I was checking my front brake pad thickness and had a stuck wheel in the process. Forgetting my protocol for dealing with that (loosening the lug nuts and driving a short distance) I wacked the wheel with a sledgehammer about 30 times. Dumb! I hit the valve stem and see the two pics for the results. The red plastic ring came out of the valve stem and the cap was split in two and the stem was damaged per the pic.

My initial thought is to leave it be. I checked the tire pressure without letting the air out of the tire. Through a stuck needle. So Im thinking its fine.

Is it? Do you anticipate problems? Should I have the shop fix it?

Thanks!
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 08:57 PM   #5
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsridewith View Post
Could the red ring have been in the valve cap as the seal that supposedly makes the cap tight enough to hold pressure if the valve core parts start leaking?
What is a "stuck needle?"
You may be right about the red ring being part of the cap. I’ll check the other caps in the morning. If the body of the valve Itself was bent It might stick open when checking the pressure or adding air. But it doesn’t appear to.
Old 04-10-2018, 05:26 AM   #6
dogsridewith

Do you know that isn't a traditional core that just screws out by a tool w/ two ears that engage that rectangular piece showing in the photo?
Old 04-10-2018, 08:37 AM   #7
bronsin

The TPS valve stem has the same removable Core as on every other Schrader valve I’ve seen. I have a tightening tool in later today I’ll give it a twist and make sure it’s seated.

You were right! The red rubber O-ring came from the valve cap. I have one other valve Like that on the car And there is a red O-ring in there. Never saw that before it’s a good idea but as long as you keep the cores tight there shouldn’t be a problem.
Old 04-10-2018, 03:07 PM   #8
dogsridewith

You said you checked tire pressure through a stuck needle. Unintelligible. What is a stuck needle?
Old 04-10-2018, 04:53 PM   #9
bronsin

No not through stuck needle. I meant to say I thought the core needle that moves in the Schrader valve would stick because the body of the Schrader valve might’ve been bent. If that it happened the air would be let out of the tire. Sorry for the confusion!