Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-23-2015, 10:08 AM   #37
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
Really? Never heard of that.

I don't buy it. Torque would be measured by the resistance between contact surfaces, not how slippery the threads are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The lubrication of the anti-seize reduces friction between surfaces of the threads and changes the torque. The exact same way oil inside the engine reduces friction between rotating parts. IDK about the 10% thing but usually if a torque rating doesn't call for lubrication, don't lube it.

Even with that said I only apply the smallest amount of grease to the threads so they don't rust on wheel stud. Anti-seize as I found from personal experience can drastically change the torque rating.

But on spark plugs, they aren't torqued, they are set to usually an amount of rotation to compress the gasket.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 12:03 PM   #38
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
I agree with Bluevitz-rs about antiseize increasing torque and will go one further that most torque values that Ive seen spec no oil or grease on the threads either. Because they do the same thing ie make a 25 reading a 30 actual torque.

Most of the time it wont matter but it can fall right in your lap once in a while.
Old 12-24-2015, 07:54 AM   #39
nortonfb

Drives: 2007
We can agree their is a difference of torque value when using lube.
In regards to spark plugs there is also a difference of length in the combustion chamber.
Maybe that's the reason? It's beyond my knowledge.
nortonfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 09:47 AM   #40
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonfb View Post
We can agree their is a difference of torque value when using lube.
In regards to spark plugs there is also a difference of length in the combustion chamber.
Maybe that's the reason? It's beyond my knowledge.

Hmm IMO length of sparkplug in combustion chamber COULD be an issue. But its unlikely that a sparkplug torqued with AS and one torqued without AS would have a differing length of plug in the CC to make any difference. Personally I never use a torque wrench I go strictly by feel. Now....if I were torqueing a cylinder head I would probably run out and get a TW.

In general I think we worry too much about everything in general. Having said that, theres no doubt disasters happen. My parents were nurse anesthetists and told us kids 1 in 100 operations end up with a fatality/very unpleasant result due to the anesthesia. But that isn't going to stop most people from having an operation.

I have been leaving my keys in my car and motorcycle for some time now UNDER CONDITIONS I HAVE OBSERVED FOR A LONG TIME. No problem! Who's going to be looking for keys left in a car in Westmont NJ? Very few people.

See we worry to much.
Old 12-24-2015, 01:19 PM   #41
nortonfb

Drives: 2007
People in NJ should worry!
Turned a job there once. Reason was I was in East Orange and Camden.
Didn't like the scenery. After talking to a few cops in NJ. cinched it.
After spending a lot of time building Brit bikes, torque is usually not important.
In my car that I rely on I'm more fussy. Besides, I have a torque wrench, so I feel justified
in looking for excuses to use it.
Check your auto insurance you may find a difference in coverage by leaving the keys in it.
nortonfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 01:37 PM   #42
BIGTAZ351
147K-Blue / 24K-Yellow

Drives: 2010 Ylw 3dr. AT(Blue-Wife's)
I could see that the AS on the lug nuts causing over torquing, IF you were using a torque wrench. I Personally do not use a torque wrench on anything outside of the internals of an engine... I know this may rub some people the wrong way... I have been wrenching since I was 5, (Grandfather had a small engine repair business) Working on everything from 1930's JD Tractors, all the way to my 2012 Arctic Cat ATV. My father worked at the Ford dealership as a Mecanic and was a shadetree mechanic... I can tell you: I have a 2004 Six Lug F150 and they (Ford and Tire Shops) seem to think that they need to be torqued to 150 ft-lbs (dry of course) they are NUTS, (also if torqued to 150 with anti-sieze you could snap or stretch the studs) I have been tightening them with anti-sieze "By Feel" to the same torque I have all lug nuts (Roughly 75-80 ft-lbs) NEVER had an issue taking them off, or coming off prematurely... BUT I have steel wheels with Conical seats on all but my ATVs. Back to topic: AS on steel sparkplugs in aluminum heads is a MUST... I also didn't use a T-wrench on my plugs either (I am on the naughty list).. but I have installed my fair share of gasket seat plugs in aluminum heads too.

Repair List:
1 new blower motor, making funny noise. @ 91K (Water pump @ 120K)
Mod List:
1. Black tape on most of the annoying blue high beam light behind the lens. (thank you CTScott)
BIGTAZ351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 02:03 PM   #43
BIGTAZ351
147K-Blue / 24K-Yellow

IMO the sparkplug could only extend too far in the Combustion Chamber only if you put the plug in without the gasket.. after all I *think* the 13:1 fxe also uses a similar plug with mucch less space... I agree with bronsin, Mostly anyway... But not when it comes to leaving keys in the ignition or synthetic oil.. LOL.. but that isnt what this is about. :)

Repair List:
Mod List:
1. Black tape on most of the annoying blue high beam light behind the lens. (thank you CTScott)
Old 12-25-2015, 03:02 AM   #44
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGTAZ351 View Post
... I agree with bronsin, Mostly anyway... But not when it comes to leaving keys in the ignition or synthetic oil.. LOL.. but that isnt what this is about. :)
See what you think about this...Im pretty sure its the truth about global warming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gDErDwXqhc
Old 12-25-2015, 03:10 AM   #45
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonfb View Post
People in NJ should worry!
Turned a job there once. Reason was I was in East Orange and Camden.
Didn't like the scenery. After talking to a few cops in NJ. cinched it.
After spending a lot of time building Brit bikes, torque is usually not important.
In my car that I rely on I'm more fussy. Besides, I have a torque wrench, so I feel justified
in looking for excuses to use it.
Check your auto insurance you may find a difference in coverage by leaving the keys in it.
I work in Camden for 30+ years with no problems but I work downtown, not in the neighborhoods. One of my friends grew up in Camden but moved away. I asked him "John what are those scars on your neck? Did you have a fusion operation?"

He says "No some Camden citizens thought I was someone else they had a problem with when I was 12. Three of them jumped me one night. Two of them held me down while the third cut my throat. Luckily they made a bad job of it."
Old 02-03-2016, 09:35 AM   #46
BIGTAZ351
147K-Blue / 24K-Yellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
See what you think about this...Im pretty sure its the truth about global warming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gDErDwXqhc
Global Warming or Climate Change = Scam by way of Fear-Mongering to fleece money out of the U.S. Government!

We have only 100-150 years of environmental history...

Its like going to the Dr. and telling him how you have been feeling in the last 10 minutes.

Repair List:
Mod List: