Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-08-2018, 04:45 PM   #1
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Front Lip...Ordered one today (99 - 00 Civic) - INSTALL STARTED

Hoping I can get some help here on how to properly modify it for installation. I read a couple of threads. I thought I'd shape it on the car before painting. I understand some trimming, and heating is needed. Should a be fun project along with the rear spoiler. These will both be added to my '06 RS.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 04-29-2018 at 10:32 AM.
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 04:13 PM   #2
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
These look great when on the car. Hopefully some of the folks here that have installed them chime in.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 05:36 PM   #3
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Great looking lip on the car. I'll be following your thread as you modify and fit it to your car. Good luck.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 06:24 PM   #4
06YarisRS

Thanks Gentlemen! I don't expect to work on it until closer to spring, but I will definitely take pics of my progress.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
Old 03-22-2018, 03:51 PM   #5
Acura_reaper

Drives: 2007 silver auto stock sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
Thanks Gentlemen! I don't expect to work on it until closer to spring, but I will definitely take pics of my progress.
Hey how did that fit?

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk
Acura_reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 06:34 PM   #6
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acura_reaper View Post
Hey how did that fit?

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk
I'm waiting for warmer weather. It will probably be in Late May or early June before I attempt the install. I'll definitiely post up progress pics when I go at it. I will do the same for the rear wing.

Old 04-29-2018, 10:25 AM   #7
06YarisRS

Lip Install

Started the install today. I have it temporarily centered and tacked onto the front. I'm thinking I'll have to cut some triangles into the bottom, horizontal part of the lip so I can slowly make the curve. I'm a tad nervous about this stage. Worst case scenario, I buy another lip if I trash this one.

Centered and tacked on:

Hanging a bit:

Overhang:

Rough cutting:

Next step is to make the "V" cuts and mold it to the contour. I'll finish the ends by making a flush line with the wheel well and use my dremel tool, then sand.

Open to any and all suggestions about any of the above plans.

I'll update the thread as I muddle along with this project.

Old 04-29-2018, 11:46 AM   #8
Runethecursed

Drives: 2009 Yaris S
might be a bit more work, but wouldn't it be easier overall to cut the middle down to size and plastic weld it back together then hit it with primer and a sanding block and paint?
Runethecursed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 11:58 AM   #9
06YarisRS

This job is a bit beyond my skill level. I have had to attempt using RTV sealant along with the 3M tape to hold it on. I have drilled and screwed the spoiler to keep the seams tight. I did make slots as mentioned above and used the heat gun to mold to the contours. I'll remove the screws, use adhesion promoter, prime and use bondo and spot putty of fill the holes, prime and sand the lip. If I was having this done again, it would definitely go to a professional.

Old 04-29-2018, 02:41 PM   #10
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runethecursed View Post
might be a bit more work, but wouldn't it be easier overall to cut the middle down to size and plastic weld it back together then hit it with primer and a sanding block and paint?
The problem is getting the curves to conform. I don't think you could bend it to conform without heavily modifiying it as the Yaris bumper curves under as well as around the front. I have it attached now, but it is going to need some serious bondo, sandiing, priming and painting for it to look half decent. I will also have to get a bit creative where it ends at the wheel wells.
I been using the heat gun which helps shape it a bit, but it also expands a lot causing it to pop out in other places. This is a major challenge!

Old 04-29-2018, 03:34 PM   #11
Runethecursed

hah yeah. The other way of doing this is way more labor intensive is getting formers foam from a crafts store and gluing it to the bumper and shaving it down to a shape you like then fiber glassing it over for a mold. pop it off and clean it up then boom. you have a front lip design.

Me? I'm probably gonna buy deliverances S front bumper lip and then fab up a splitter
Old 04-29-2018, 04:48 PM   #12
06YarisRS

Quote:
hah yeah. The other way of doing this is way more labor intensive is getting formers foam from a crafts store and gluing it to the bumper and shaving it down to a shape you like then fiber glassing it over for a mold. pop it off and clean it up then boom. you have a front lip design.

Me? I'm probably gonna buy deliverances S front bumper lip and then fab up a splitter
Yeah, that does sound like quite a job. It reminds me of the old skilled plasterers that made crown moulding with material and a trowel. Or, even those plaster ceiling fixture rings like in the old Victorian I used to own.

Anyway, this job is turning out to be a lot more involved than I had expected. As they say, "In for a dime, in for a dollar". I'm going to do the best job I can and hope it turns out ok. The next challenge...fabricating end caps. The more I think about your initial suggestion about cutting from the middle, the more I now wished I'd tried that even though it woudn't be without its challenges too.

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 05-02-2018 at 08:58 PM.
Old 04-29-2018, 08:29 PM   #13
Runethecursed

the main challenges is getting the sides to mate nice and neat with your curvature, the easy part is taping the centers together and going at it with some plastic weld and making sure its flat again
Old 04-29-2018, 09:09 PM   #14
06YarisRS

Quote:
the main challenges is getting the sides to mate nice and neat with your curvature, the easy part is taping the centers together and going at it with some plastic weld and making sure its flat again
Very true. I was out this evening looking at it and I'm a little more optimistic about the outcome. The curved lines of the spoiler actually match almost perfectly with the contours of the grille. I am going to pick up some urethane caulk tomorrow and go up underneath to be sure it's strongly attached. Then , when it's set, I'll remove my screws. I'm going to use the ends I cut off and plastic weld them back on. Finally, the sanding, bondo,sanding, priming, painting and clear coat. A BIG job, but hopefully one that will be worth it.

Old 05-02-2018, 08:51 PM   #15
06YarisRS

A little more progress on the lip...

I picked up a can of expandable spray foam yesterday as I wasn't quite confident that the RTV sealant alone would hold the lip on. I sanded all the paint on the car under the lip and sanded the back of the lip. Both surfaces were then cleaned multiple times with alcohol. Then I sprayed both with adhesion promoter. The cavity was then basically filled and left to cure until this evening. I removed the screws and I think if I tried to remove the lip, the bumper would be coming with it. I tugged really hard and it wouldn't budge.

In the pics below I have just sanded, degreased a few times, applied the adhesion promoter and then the first coat of primer. Tomorrow, I get to work on fabricating the ends where the lip attaches to the wheel well. Next will be the bondo and spot putty, then a paintable caulk along the top edge for a perfect seal, sanding, priming, painting and clearcoat. I hope to be done by early next week.

Old 05-02-2018, 09:13 PM   #16
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
So far it is looking very good! Your diligence is paying off. Looking forward to the next stage and photos.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 10:08 PM   #17
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
So far it is looking very good! Your diligence is paying off. Looking forward to the next stage and photos.
Thanks, Kimona! As long as I can keep myself from rushing the body work and sanding, I think it should turn out quite nicely. Should have another round of pics in a few days. I'm away for a conference on Friday and we have weekend guests. Hoping to have those end caps done tomorrow evening though.

Old 05-03-2018, 12:34 PM   #18
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Your patience will become legendary.

Sent from my Elite_5_5_Octa using Tapatalk