Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-10-2018, 12:45 AM   #1
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Best Hatchbacks of 2018

We Rank the Best Hatchbacks of 2018: https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/auto...tanntp#image=1

Did this moron actually drive these cars?

"... the Yaris falls behind competitors due to its underpowered engine, dull handling, and below-average cargo space."

"Performance is a mixed bag in the Fit. Most buyers will want a little more power, but its athletic handling can still inspire smiles."

Having driven the 2018 Honda Fit several times, its performance doesn't begin to compare with that of the Yaris. The Yaris motor paired with the 4-speed automatic performs so much better than Fit's lethargic motor coupled with that miserable Honda CVT. Plus, the Fit's handling is pathetically slow and awkward, unlike the Yaris which is more go-cart like.

Last edited by kimona; 08-10-2018 at 01:06 AM.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 01:12 AM   #2
Runethecursed

Drives: 2009 Yaris S
Someone paid the judges..... literally

I don't think they drove the new cars, not like the latest truck of the year or car of the year stuff. I think they just compile notes on what editor did what review and then do the ranking.

my yaris is sharp as a tack and its an 09 I'm sure the new years have gotten a lot better.
Old 08-10-2018, 01:42 AM   #3
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
When I was looking for a new car back in 2014 I test drove several small hatchbacks. The last two standing were the Yaris and the Fit. Obviously I chose the Yaris. IMO the two quotes in the first post should be reversed. I found the Yaris a much better driver's car, felt faster (didn't measure, so maybe not), bettering handling, road feel, brake feel, etc. Of course I was driving the SE Yaris so maybe that had something to do with it.

Don't get me wrong, the Fit is a nice car but it is topped by the Yaris in my judgement.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 01:36 PM   #4
justanotherdrunk

Drives: 2016 SE
i rented a 2015 L by chance and drove it 9200 miles around the country in 11 days so comfortably i bought myself a new SE and shes been great!

i woulda bought a focus st if an automatic were available

most of those cars are just ugly - i do like the sonic and the cruze

Last edited by justanotherdrunk; 08-10-2018 at 01:47 PM.
justanotherdrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 04:38 PM   #5
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
U.S. reviewers love to hate on the Yaris. They think that 'newer tech' is automatically better, when in-fact it isn't if you plan to keep the car beyond its warranty period. They have no respect for the proven reliability of certain older auto tech. All they see is that this car gets 2 MPG more with this newer tech, SO IT MUST BE A BETTER BUY!. But then, there is no lack of short-sighted fools out there, and suckers for shiny new gimmicks. These are probably the same people who NEED all that stupid self-driving-car inspired sensor 'safety' tech in their car to feel secure, & stay in their own lane.

I checked out everything in the smaller car market in 2015, & did meticulous research on the vehicles that ultimately interested me, and in the end I liked the 2015 Yaris SE so much that I was willing to venture out of state to find the one that I wanted & pay the $700 or so extra to have it shipped to my door after purchase. I almost feel sorry for the people who put so much stock in ignorant 'reviewer' opinions, to the point that they blindly buy based on those recommendations.

Even after driving my current Yaris hatch for 3 years, and knowing exactly what it is really about from real-world experience, I still like the Yaris SE hatch model so much that it is on the top of a short list of vehicles to research & check out again in 2021-2022 (either new or lightly used), when I decide to buy my next subcompact/compact daily driver. It's very obvious that different types of people have different criteria when judging what car is 'good' and what car is 'bad'. I will leave it at that.

-

Last edited by Kalispel; 08-11-2018 at 11:56 AM.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 04:01 AM   #6
kevinj93

Drives: 2013 NCP130
I suppose "underpowered engine" means "it won't burn rubber for a hundred yards".
Similarly, "dull handling" means "it doesn't go round corners like a Ferrari"....
Old 08-11-2018, 11:51 AM   #7
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
I found it awfully amusing that the ONLY thing they found to laud about the Yaris were the cost-hiking gimmick 'safety' features that only incredibly old, lazy, stupid or drunk drivers (none of which should even be on the road) could find remotely useful. The 2019 Corolla hatch takes it a step further with automated features to 'keep your stupid ass in your own lane' and pop up pretty little traffic signs on your dash for Stop, Speed Limit, etc. (meaning that you are watching your dash instead of the real world out there in front of you). Don't even get me started on stupid 'rain sensing' wiper blades. Great features for self-driving cars, but stupid cost-hiking gimmicks (that WILL need expensive repairs down the road) for normal cars.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 01:17 PM   #8
Captain Yaris

Drives: 2016 Yaris 3 Dr Super White
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalispel View Post
I found it awfully amusing that the ONLY thing they found to laud about the Yaris were the cost-hiking gimmick 'safety' features that only incredibly old, lazy, stupid or drunk drivers (none of which should even be on the road) could find remotely useful. The 2019 Corolla hatch takes it a step further with automated features to 'keep your stupid ass in your own lane' and pop up pretty little traffic signs on your dash for Stop, Speed Limit, etc. (meaning that you are watching your dash instead of the real world out there in front of you). Don't even get me started on stupid 'rain sensing' wiper blades. Great features for self-driving cars, but stupid cost-hiking gimmicks (that WILL need expensive repairs down the road) for normal cars.
Couldn’t have said it better myself.

Last edited by Captain Yaris; 08-11-2018 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Spelling
Captain Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 01:53 PM   #9
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalispel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Yaris View Post
Couldn’t have said it better myself.
I agree. Put me down as an official member of the "grumpy old man" club.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 06:51 PM   #10
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
^^^ I think we are all on the same page here! Love the simplicity of the Yaris... which I understand is a sore point for many who apparently drive while they're happily doing other far more important things. I like to drive and actually focus on my driving.

When I got my Buick Encore, I was worried about a lot of tech crap. But, as it turned out, it really only has push-button start (which I've grown to like), a power driver's seat (with the best lumbar support for my tired old back) and a back-up camera (which I've learned to use). The tech stuff was the touch screen audio system... which I haven't got a clue how to use except to pre-tune a few radio stations.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 01:31 PM   #11
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

Drives: Me: Nuts:
At least it beat the Mirage and Versa Note :)
yarisugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 04:52 PM   #12
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
The Yaris is the worst