Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-19-2009, 05:29 AM   #1
AND189
Banned

Drives: 2
dealer's just guess the brakes and tires

hey guys
my yaris just clicked over 40,000 and just had its service done today on friday i went and got 4 newbridgestone potenza adrenalin's got them at a good price to ... well i drooped the car off at ten at was told it will be done by 4:30, well when i got there it was not even looked at at all so i had to wait finaly after it was done i looked at the report and picked up on two points 1. the tire inspection was listed as fair and brake pads were listed as 80% and have been for the 10,000 20--> 30--> and now the 40--> and once more the cars battery was dead ... is this normal for toyota sydney ??? when i questioned about the tires they said yes your right after i showed the pop and then said that the reason the brake pads were still at 80 was because i don't use the brakes ????? and then said that the guess what % is left just by having a quick look ??? is this right do they all just have a look and guess
AND189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:01 AM   #2
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Yours miles ahead doing your own work as much as possible. Having a good mechanic is as imortant as having a good doctor.
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 11:22 AM   #3
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by AND189 View Post
hey guys
my yaris just clicked over 40,000 and just had its service done today on friday i went and got 4 newbridgestone potenza adrenalin's got them at a good price to ... well i drooped the car off at ten at was told it will be done by 4:30, well when i got there it was not even looked at at all so i had to wait finaly after it was done i looked at the report and picked up on two points 1. the tire inspection was listed as fair and brake pads were listed as 80% and have been for the 10,000 20--> 30--> and now the 40--> and once more the cars battery was dead ... is this normal for toyota sydney ??? when i questioned about the tires they said yes your right after i showed the pop and then said that the reason the brake pads were still at 80 was because i don't use the brakes ????? and then said that the guess what % is left just by having a quick look ??? is this right do they all just have a look and guess
Yes, they look and guess. Don't worry, you'll know when you need new brakes. The brake inspection is so they can try to get more business. The sad thing is that you may have 40% and they will tell you to get new brakes.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 11:29 AM   #4
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
on a side note, i've seen a set of OE toyota pads last over 200,000 miles
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 12:20 PM   #5
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
Wow! Our dealership is fine then! I don't think I would put up with much of that, certainly not waiting for the car after it had been in there for that long, and CERTAINLY not the dead battery! From what I've seen here, I think the Service Manager would have fallen on his sword if a customer was treated that way...
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 03:39 PM   #6
advocate

Drives: car
I do a good bit of hard braking (mostly because I speed a lot) and my brake pads are still doing very well. I'm just over 36,000 miles.

Point is, like Tamago said, that the original brake pads are impressive in their wear rate and life span.
advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 04:29 PM   #7
AmyV
she was an American girl

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB, 67 Fairlane 500
Send a message via Yahoo to AmyV
Exactly as yaris-me said, mechanics do a 'complimentary brake check' to see if they can legitimately sell you new brake pads/shoes. FYI the pads will always need changing before shoes. You will be able to feel when you need new pads too. Just make sure to go get em changed as soon as you feel a difference in braking. If you let it go too long after that, you will need new calipers as well. Just keep that in mind.

On a side note, I've noticed that my front brakes tend to 'whine' when I am just applying them lightly (like at the very end of a stop). It's just the accumulation of brake dust. Since non-asbestos brake pads are used, it is totally safe to use an air compressor and just blow the dust out. Problem solved
AmyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 06:59 PM   #8
AND189
Banned

Drives: 2
ok grate thanks for the info i do use my brake hard as i love the cornering and that stuff the thing that got me was that they guess and that the battery was flat... the old man told me that i should get a bigger battery because the one in it is very small and will drain quickly if lights are left on ??? as for the Service Manager i asked to speak to him and explained it all he said that we look at every car long and hard and do a close inspection i then handed him my proof the tires were replaced 2 days before ...the Service Manager's reply was we have 100's of cars comming through each day everyone makes mistakes... saying that i had brake rebleed and oil change too ... did they guess them aswell ??? i have three documents stating that my brake pads were worn to 80% in the first 10,000 and have not warn at all in the past 30,000 ??? saying that i have heaps of meat on the brakes and tires and my car now starts so i guess i am happy
AND189 is offline   Reply With Quote