Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-28-2010, 12:15 PM   #1
TickleTimeTim
Free Mustache Rides

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
HID binoculars

So, I finally installed my HID kit yesterday, however, incorrectly. When driving around last night I noticed that the area in front of my car is black but the area above, below, to the left, and to the right is lit up. I saw the thread about that white headlight adjuster, but is that just for moving it up or down or can I some how aim them forward. last night i tried to pull the bulbs slightly out of the housing and it fixed the problem, but then it started burning the rubber water seal that it sits in and i couldn't get it to sit tight, instead it wiggled.

also, I am aware you lose highs, is that why when i flick the highs not only does absolutely nothing change but also the high indicator on the inside of my car (the blue light on my dash) does not light up. and when i twist the headlight stalk once forward my parking lights and the little bulb under the main light go on, then i switch it forward again the hid comes on but all the other lights stay on.

HELP
Old 02-28-2010, 12:35 PM   #2
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
If you installed H4 bulbs, they have a high and low beam. There are two kinds. Xenon low and Halogen high, in which the high beam really doesn't add much more light (but makes a less expensive kit), and true bi-xenon, in which you SHOULD see a distinctly brighter high beam.

Are you sure you oriented your bulbs correctly and that the wiring is all correct? What brand did you buy? Do you have a link to the product?
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 12:42 PM   #3
TickleTimeTim
Free Mustache Rides

not sure, thought i followed the diagram correctly. it's an h4 kit, bixenon, from the barber.
Old 02-28-2010, 02:17 PM   #4
TickleTimeTim
Free Mustache Rides

oh, and it makes my radio staticky (sp?)
Old 02-28-2010, 03:40 PM   #5
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
I'm not much on HID knowledge. Learning as everyone goes along here. It has been documented in other threads that the Hi Beam dash indicator will no longer function with HIDs installed.
Old 02-28-2010, 05:26 PM   #6
spookz
JDM yO!

Drives: '09 3dr. 5-spd
I have Bi-Xenons, and the highbeam indicator works as normal. Also with Bi-Xenon bulbs, it doens't actually throw "more" light out during highs, but instead, the cap slides forward and allows light to hit the bottom half of the reflector to create highbeams. So it's just alternating the beam pattern during operation of high/lowbeams.

spookz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:23 PM   #7
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
because of the shroud on the hid bulb, it does cut the beam off at the bottom. my yaris is the same. i don't find it in any way hinders what i can see

high beam should pull the bulb back and give a more dispersed light vs the low beams....ive used these up north and theyre great. but they arent any brighter than the low beams, it just changes the light pattern by moving the bulb

i have my lights angled down so im not getting flashed all the time, but it sounds like you've installed them correctly.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:15 AM   #8
Cosmonaut
The Last Baron

Drives: 09 Polar White HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by TickleTimeTim View Post
oh, and it makes my radio staticky (sp?)
im sure that's due to a bad ground, proly from the install.

| UR 19mm sway |
Cosmonaut is offline   Reply With Quote