Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-05-2007, 10:59 AM   #1
stuffy

Drives: 06 yaris 5-dr le man
a good little review

http://wheels.ca/reviews/article/2889

this is from a year ago, but this is the type of review the yaris was getting when it first came out,

until the sheep-like automotive press decided they didnt' like the car.
stuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 11:33 AM   #2
cleong
Parallel Parking Pro

Drives: Yaris 1.5 Manual
I have no issues with that. Reviewers can bag it all they want, and people are still going to buy it because of the way it looks, the price it asks, and then simply for the fact it is a Toyota (and brings along all the good things people associate with the brand name).
cleong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 06:19 PM   #3
Pars

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
That particular article was what got me into the Toyota show room, since at the time I was a die-hard Honda advocate, but was beginning to have respect for Toyota (friends Celica GTS which I used to drive when going for lunch).

Lawrance Yap is one of the few auto journalist that I respect (Jim Kenzie and the editor for canadiandriver is another). I'm sure the American journalist are just as good when it comes to testing the cars, but it's tough to get the real story about the car from their comparison test. To a certain extent, they all seem like spin-doctors or they're so blind-sided by the exotics, they miss out on the real drama in the everyday segment.

Since I'm a realist, and probably will never own a Porche, I tend to get excited about cars that I can actually afford. It's nice to see a journalist who is as excited about the grass-root stuff as they are with the Porche 911.
Pars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 06:44 PM   #4
ECHOKnight2000
Small Car Lover

Drives: A Super Car
^^^Actually I think American reviewers are worst GENERALLY speaking, regarding smaller cars especially. Not always, but it seems that way. I really think culture plays into it and how GENERALLY speaking American's have smaller or small car phobia. Anything smaller than a bus or tank is "dangerous." It seems you guys (Canadians) are more accepting of small cars which is cool. I'm not saying everyone has to like small cars or they have to drive what I like but you can tell there is a bias against it in the U.S. GENERALLY speaking. I'll get off my soap box.

If you go to familycar.com, they have a praising review of the Yaris hatch and sedan.
Old 05-05-2007, 06:59 PM   #5
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Drives: 2007 WHITE HATCHBACK
I'm happy with mine.
Old 05-05-2007, 08:10 PM   #6
spkrman
Banned

Drives: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECHOKnight2000 View Post
^^^Actually I think American reviewers are worst GENERALLY speaking, regarding smaller cars especially. Not always, but it seems that way. I really think culture plays into it and how GENERALLY speaking American's have smaller or small car phobia. Anything smaller than a bus or tank is "dangerous." It seems you guys (Canadians) are more accepting of small cars which is cool. I'm not saying everyone has to like small cars or they have to drive what I like but you can tell there is a bias against it in the U.S. GENERALLY speaking. I'll get off my soap box.

If you go to familycar.com, they have a praising review of the Yaris hatch and sedan.
verrrrry true!

After driving it since last november, it doesn't feel small at all...

Someone touched on this in a thread a while ago... where he noted he wouldnt put his kid in such a small car as a first car... thats a very scary thought! Put a teenage driver in a boat, so when they ram into me while talking on a phone/drinking jamba juice they completely demolish my car and probably me with it... and after that, they are sure to never buy a small car and the cycle goes on

In regards to the review, thats canada, us here in the states dont get the same options or standard features (tach????????)... toyota shot themselves in the foot in the eyes of most USA reviewers for that one.
spkrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 12:14 AM   #7
Pars

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
Regarding big car syndrome, I don't think all the States have them. I spend some time in Maui, Oahu and Kauai in my last vacation and there was a healthy amount of small cars in-between all the pickups (the pickups were jacked-up in Kauai but slammed in Oahu). Interestingly enough the xA seemed to be somewhat popular. I guess the island folks got the right attitude judging from the type of cars they drive. I suppose the mainlander still need to learn that the guns don't have to be big in order to be effective....
Pars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 03:58 AM   #8
spkrman
Banned

Drives: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pars View Post
Regarding big car syndrome, I don't think all the States have them. I spend some time in Maui, Oahu and Kauai in my last vacation and there was a healthy amount of small cars in-between all the pickups (the pickups were jacked-up in Kauai but slammed in Oahu). Interestingly enough the xA seemed to be somewhat popular. I guess the island folks got the right attitude judging from the type of cars they drive. I suppose the mainlander still need to learn that the guns don't have to be big in order to be effective....
Saying the USA normally doesn't "include" hawaii, at least not in things like this. Gotta be pretty sweet over there though! :)
spkrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 04:51 AM   #9
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pars View Post
I would agree, I've grown up and lived only on smallish islands until about 5 years ago, and there is definitely a specific kind of mentality in common. Cars and driving-style wise, I think the fact that no matter how fast you go, you'll end up on the other side of the island in no time, makes people appreciate smaller cars and a more relaxed driving style...

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote