Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-13-2011, 10:21 PM   #1
Syroyizhka

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Question what are the softest shocks i can get as replacement?

My yaris was lowered when i bought it, but its been runing on stock shocks, and now my front ones are starting to go...One side is getting really bad to a point where all the bumps feel like an earthquake... my question...which shocks should i buy to replace them? I'm looking for the "softest" possible ride...i don't care about the "racing handling" i don't really race, I live in Cleveland where roads are horrible with major potholes, and thats what killed my shocks in the first place... my shocks felt really firm...too firm for me... need some input as soon as possible . thanks
Syroyizhka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 12:10 AM   #2
big lo

Drives: 2007 VIOS
What springs was used to lower the car? You can try some tokico blues for comfort and get the ride you want, I know that they are racing but they are very comfortable, or monroe shock/struts, TRD the list goes on. But first answer the question about what springs you are using, and I can give you a better set up to try.
TRD sportivo springs,Tokico Blue Shock/Struts,TRD rear sway bar & front bar,Tanabe engine bar,MI hoses (red), MI engine cover,SRI intake,VIOS vent visors,VIOS foglights,VIOS tails (HELLA lights & the Series 5 too),VIOS radio,VIOS badge,VIOS grill,18 inch R-1 rims wrapped in nankang tires 215/35-18z,chrome handles,retrofited the headlights, SHARK body kit (VIOS), Coming soon projectors heads with LED strip, Custom seats, MI hood lifts,MI momo steering wheel, sound system :)
big lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 03:37 AM   #3
toad

Drives: street-legal go-kart
the first question is 'are you planning on keeping the lowering springs you already have on the car AND what type are they(if you know)?'. i had tanabe df210s with stock shock/struts on my 08 and the ride was factory-plush(imho). yeah, it was A LOT lower than factory, but it wasn't bone-jarring firm either.

as far as shocks go i'm no suspension-guru, but i would think the factory ones would be the most comfortable. however, i'm not exactly sure how much of the firmness is due to the springs and how much is due to the shocks? i'm guessing that the aftermarket shocks(ie. tokico blues, trd) would be stiffer. HOWEVER, i know the tokico reds(the adjustable shocks) are able to actually be softer than factory on their lowest firmness setting. you can run these with factory or aftermarket springs, but they are a little pricey.

btw, if you're interested in some factory springs since you purchased your yaris with aftermarket ones i've got a set of them sitting in the box my aftermarket springs came in. i'm sure i could let them go for a very fair price! pm if interested.
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 09:24 AM   #4
Imagine
Insert sarcasm here.

Drives: 2009 Black Pearl Sand 3Dr
Tokico blues should be pretty close to stock replacement.
Imagine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 11:02 AM   #5
Black_griffin6

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic 3 door HB
My 09 Yaris has the stock suspension setup right now, but i'm planning on lowering it a bit, so i've been asking a few people around here what are some tips/advice they can give me about it.

Most people say that if you're going to lower it then you need to get some new aftermarket shocks to go with your new springs/struts because the stock ones wear out a lot quicker with the new springs. So I think it's not just the potholes that are doing extra wear on your shocks.

If you're not too fond of the lowered setup though, why not go back to the stock suspension? Then you'll have your ride comfort back since you're not really keen on "racing handling".
Black_griffin6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 11:06 AM   #6
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
stock

or kyb oem replacements?
Old 03-14-2011, 04:37 PM   #7
Syroyizhka

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
They were already on the vehicle when i got the car, All i know is that they are red, and they lower the car quite a bit where even dead squirrels get caught underneath my car lol.... the previous shocks were all stock, and the ride was really stiff, but now its unbareable... the front ones are completely shot...so Tokico blues? what about Monroes, which ones are better?
Syroyizhka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 03:36 AM   #8
bB2NER
My Box and Her Egg

Drives: 05' Scion xB / 08' Yaris 3dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syroyizhka View Post
My yaris was lowered when i bought it, but its been runing on stock shocks, and now my front ones are starting to go...One side is getting really bad to a point where all the bumps feel like an earthquake... my question...which shocks should i buy to replace them? I'm looking for the "softest" possible ride...i don't care about the "racing handling" i don't really race, I live in Cleveland where roads are horrible with major potholes, and thats what killed my shocks in the first place... my shocks felt really firm...too firm for me... need some input as soon as possible . thanks
Monroe replacements will ride smooth. I'd also pick up a set of used stock springs and have them installed when you do the shocks/struts. You'll get your ground clearance back for those Cleveland snow storms. Plus the ride will be way better than your current setup.
I switched to Monroes on my xB after a few thousand miles because the stock ones were way too stiff. It rides really smooth even with some H techs on it. I left the Yaris stock cause it rides nice that way.
bB2NER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:13 PM   #9
filipetoyota

Drives: yaris
shock absorbers and springs

which brand of suspension advise for my car go smooth? already used KYB excel-g and are very hard.
tell me someone knows what this pint damper springs in the front of my yaris 1.0 99/04 have a pint yellow car and the front this high.
filipetoyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:07 PM   #10
Slacky

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
After the stock shocks I tried KYB and now Tokico and I will always go back with Tokico.
Slacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:37 PM   #11
UberSilver

Drives: 08Yaris2D, 88LandCruiser.
First off we need pic, as to really know what you have. If the shocks are red? they maybe fancy Tokicos. Do the have an adjustment on the top?

Shocks wont lower your car, but springs will. So are the shocks Red or the springs?

Once again, we really need pics.

Quote:
They were already on the vehicle when i got the car, All i know is that they are red, and they lower the car quite a bit where even dead squirrels get caught underneath my car lol.... the previous shocks were all stock, and the ride was really stiff, but now its unbareable... the front ones are completely shot...so Tokico blues? what about Monroes, which ones are better?
UberSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:42 PM   #12
Yarflana

Drives: 2008 Base Model
I believe he said the springs are red and the shocks are shot (see post #7).
Yarflana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:46 PM   #13
UberSilver

Quote:
the previous shocks were all stock, and the ride was really stiff, but now its unbareable
After reading this, I thought he was referring to shocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarflana View Post
I believe he said the springs are red and the shocks are shot (see post #7).
But I still like pics
Old 02-23-2013, 09:21 AM   #14
jcboy

Drives: Sedan 07
the stock shocks are the softest ones. tokico shocks are close to OEM ride as their OEM manufacturers of Hondas' shocks, probably even Toyotas'. KYB may not be the stiffest (I wouldnt know) but they are definitely stiff, let alone the gas type.

It's not the shocks' stiffness that caused them to go, it's the springs you have that destroyed your shocks. if they are too stiff, you will heat the fluid inside the shocks faster causing the shocks to burst in no time.

In a nutshell, change your springs to Tanabes (probably, as IMO they are one of the OEM ride quality aftermarkets) otherwise you will have to go with stiffer shocks, contrary to what you were expecting to get from this topic--again, it's due to the stiff springs.
jcboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:25 PM   #15
UberSilver

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcboy View Post
the stock shocks are the softest ones. tokico shocks are close to OEM ride as their OEM manufacturers of Hondas' shocks, probably even Toyotas'. KYB may not be the stiffest (I wouldnt know) but they are definitely stiff, let alone the gas type.

It's not the shocks' stiffness that caused them to go, it's the springs you have that destroyed your shocks. if they are too stiff, you will heat the fluid inside the shocks faster causing the shocks to burst in no time.

In a nutshell, change your springs to Tanabes (probably, as IMO they are one of the OEM ride quality aftermarkets) otherwise you will have to go with stiffer shocks, contrary to what you were expecting to get from this topic--again, it's due to the stiff springs.

This is sooo wrong on so many points.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:37 PM   #16
BEEF

Drives: 2008 yaris 3d
It actually is the springs that destroyed the shocks but it has nothing to do with the stiffness of the springs but the drop that you speak of. a shock has a normal travel distance. if you force the shock past that normal travel distance, there is premature wear and eventually failure.

I would say that if you don't like the drop and want your springy feel back, get a set of factory springs to go on the car and get the ride height back and the smooth comfort as well. I changed out my springs at roughly 25k miles so they are barely used. they have been sitting in a box in my attic for almost a year. my car is an '08 yaris but I am pretty sure all the springs are the same.

I went with a mild drop so hopefully the factory struts will last a while. my car literally has 30,000 miles on it. I think it was a inch to an inch and a half. I like the stiffer feel (personal preference, I know).

good luck finding something that fits your needs.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:52 AM   #17
bB2NER
My Box and Her Egg

Drives: 05' Scion xB / 08' Yaris 3dr
It's unfortunate that the OP hasn't updated his situation. Hopefully he put the stock springs and some new Monroe shocks/ struts on and is happy with the results.
bB2NER is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shocks replacement