Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-23-2012, 05:35 PM   #1
oliveskate

Drives: Toyota Yaris
Oil leak/sweat

Was about to detail my engine bay today and noticed a sweat/leak. I took some pictures the best I can, but will left it up after work tomorrow and see what it is.
Mine is a 2008, still under warranty as well. I read a little bit about this, and seems like possibly head gaskets, and seems common on 2008's and 2010's.
I know it's warranty, but I'm busy so can't bring my car in the dealership for a while, so just wondering. Thanks!

oliveskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:26 AM   #2
CoryM

Drives: 2009 5-door, 5-speed
Chances are the dealer won't do anything about that. Unless is is dripping, it is "weeping" not "leaking" which usually they won't cover. Look at the highest point of oil. It often creeps into cracks and appears to be leaking/weeping where it is not.
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:55 AM   #3
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
Uh - ho . . This looks familiar . Having flashbacks .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:43 PM   #4
oliveskate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershey View Post
Uh - ho . . This looks familiar . Having flashbacks .

head gaskets? :P
tell me moar!
Old 01-27-2013, 05:26 PM   #5
oliveskate

I checked it again on Friday, and this oil leaking/sweating all around where the head meets the block. Should I bring it in to get it checked by toyota? Still has warranty.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:18 PM   #6
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
Oliveskate , clean all the area with oil / grime with paper towels and a cleaner of your choice ( window cleaner does well for me , dilutes it quite well ) . Then look for fresh oil . If it's persistent , take it to a Toyota service and get them to put dye in the engine . If they do so , reclean the area so the fresh oil with dye can reach the surface for observation . Should only take up to a week for the oil with dye to show . Good luck and keep us updated .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:47 PM   #7
oliveskate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershey View Post
Oliveskate , clean all the area with oil / grime with paper towels and a cleaner of your choice ( window cleaner does well for me , dilutes it quite well ) . Then look for fresh oil . If it's persistent , take it to a Toyota service and get them to put dye in the engine . If they do so , reclean the area so the fresh oil with dye can reach the surface for observation . Should only take up to a week for the oil with dye to show . Good luck and keep us updated .
I was thinking the same thing. I'm going to do that, and keep a eye on it. My warranty end's this year, so I'm going to check when it does. Don't want to fix it myself. Warranty fixes are always the best ;)