Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-24-2013, 03:54 PM   #1
chatlow

Drives: 2001 Yaris
bit of help for new owner...

Hi all,

I have just bought a 1999 yaris 1.0 vvti. has only covered 50k miles. Apologies if this first thread is in the wrong section... but I have a number of issues I need to sorted out asap and would really appreciate any help from you.

1. Juddery acceleration. Initially thought this was in 3rd only but seems to be occurring when you've just changed gear and put your foot down. It will then go away higher up the rev range. having to change gear without too much acceleration at the moment to avoid it. also tested the car in neutral and as soon as you touch the throttle it sounds like it misses first, then revs...

2. blue temp light. i know this comes on when the engine/coolant hasn't warmed up yet but today it didn't go off at all even after 20 miles of driving. i understand its very cold but 20 miles seems enough time.. the heaters were on full heat for all of the journey and the temp isn't hot just warm coming through the vents.

3. oil leak. it's dripping from the drivers side of the engine. most noticeable when the car has been parked up 20 mins. had a very quick look and it seems to be from the sump gasket. do they use a gasket on the sump of is it an instant gasket instead?

I tend to carry out most of the mechanical jobs myself. Enjoy the challenge plus it interests me. any big jobs then i will take to a reputable garage.

I will buy spark plugs and air filter (even though current filter looks OK) and see if this help with the acceleration. if not can you suggest anything else?
Only other thing I can think of is thermostat and sensors - due to the blue temp light staying on today and rough running?

thanks,
rod
chatlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:28 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
1. Could be quite a few things. Start by doing the plugs and cleaning the throttle body. A cleaning of the injectors would not be a bad idea as well.

2. The thermostat may be sticking or the water temp sensor may be bad.

3. The EPC does not list an oil pan gasket, so it looks like liquid gasket is used.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:30 AM   #3
chatlow

Drives: 2001 Yaris
thanks. don't suppose you know where the water temp sensor is do you? will give it a spray with electrical contact cleaner before replacing it.

will replace the plugs and buys some injector cleaner this weekend as well.

good news about it being a liquid gasket - means i might be able to get away with adding more instant gasket to it without taking the whole thing off. if that's where it's leaking.

thanks again..
chatlow is offline   Reply With Quote