Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-23-2014, 12:11 PM   #1
BobTheYaris

Drives: '08 Yaris HB 2 dr
3rd gen hb wiper retrofit?

So I've been wondering what would it take and/or its possible to retrofit an 2nd gen hb with the mono wiper from the 3rd gen. If been a little disappointed with the performance of the wipers trying multiple different blades with not much improvement. The mount looks like its the same as the driver side on mine so it may be possible. Just wondering if anyone has thought it it.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
BobTheYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 01:25 PM   #2
JustPassinThru

Drives: No more Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheYaris View Post
So I've been wondering what would it take and/or its possible to retrofit an 2nd gen hb with the mono wiper from the 3rd gen. If been a little disappointed with the performance of the wipers trying multiple different blades with not much improvement. The mount looks like its the same as the driver side on mine so it may be possible. Just wondering if anyone has thought it it.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
The sheet metal is different; so the cowl may be cosmetically different. It MAY BE that the RH wiper post on yours is the same location as the single wiper post.

There are issues with the single wiper. The large blade tends to catch air and lift at highway speeds - I got around that by putting on a much-smaller Bosch Icon wiper blade; the smaller blade has less wing surface and the same spring tension on a smaller area.

I have never had my 2012 out in the winter for any period of time but I know from other cars: Large wipers + ice and slush = problems in effective wiping. I always go with smaller blades for winter service.

That said, I do like the hinged wiper action - it's a logical design for small cars with big windshields. Time was when almost all new cars had that hinged LH wiper arm - I guess cost cutting made them go away; and some designs don't need it; but still..

All THAT said...I think it's a fool's errand. It's a major retrofit that most people won't notice; that will probably detract from resale value. And no matter how much you like your Yaris, you won't have it forever; what you do to it now may affect what you can demand for it later.

If you really want a single wiper; you might try getting a Gen3 wiper arm assembly out of the boneyard and try fastening it onto your RH wiper post. Maybe you can rig the fastener for the second, aligning arm on that articulated design onto your cowl. Put it on; you might have to use a little shorter a blade, but it should come close to the LH windshield pillar and be close enough. And changing it back, when the time comes, should be easy enough.
JustPassinThru is offline   Reply With Quote