Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-07-2017, 01:57 PM   #1
rafhelp

Drives: Toyota Yaris 1.33 TR
cool warning light

hi,

last few days noticed the COOL light (greenish light) on the the dash display shows up when i start the car. After a few minutes the light goes out.

I read this is no big deal just tells you engine is cool. BUT here its summer time it should not really be that cold wonder what will happen in winter?

also noticed when setting off car seems bit jumpy, not getting as good a response from gas pedal but again after the cool light goes off this problem also seems to go.

ps. is there anything i can do to increase the 'kick' well without expensive engine modifications?
rafhelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 02:47 PM   #2
Rigaud

Drives: 2009 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafhelp View Post
hi,

last few days noticed the COOL light (greenish light) on the the dash display shows up when i start the car. After a few minutes the light goes out.

I read this is no big deal just tells you engine is cool. BUT here its summer time it should not really be that cold wonder what will happen in winter?

also noticed when setting off car seems bit jumpy, not getting as good a response from gas pedal but again after the cool light goes off this problem also seems to go.

ps. is there anything i can do to increase the 'kick' well without expensive engine modifications?
It stay`s on below 55c engine temp. All of them do this and unless it`s above 55c outside......... ;)

2009 Toyota Yaris (Little toy)
2002 Audi A4 Avant Quattro 3.0L (Big boy toy)
1998 Subaru Legacy GT 2.5 (winter & DD)
Rigaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 03:27 PM   #3
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:

Anything you can do? Not really. Programming keeps the engine/tranny (if automatic) in a somewhat 'retarded' state until the engine warms enough to deactivate the light.

Sent from my Elite_5_5_Octa using Tapatalk
Old 07-09-2017, 06:35 AM   #4
JimKellyfan

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
yeah it also determines when we hit 4th for the auto tranny peoples
2010 Yaris sedan, TRD CAT back (sport muffler only, really), OBX header (relocated front AF sensor to front pipe), OBX throttle plate spacer, K&N filter (in stock air box-for now), TRD struts and shocks, Mexico Rough Road Springs x 4, new Yota sway bar links front, slotted/drilled rotors and Maxx brakes front, Valvoline synthetic brake fluid, 3M undercoated, 16" Konig Feathers Michelin Pilot Sport AS 3 + Tires
TRD rear sway bar, 4 GT Spec bars including: front strut brace 2 point, 4 point ladder brace, mid chassis brace and rear lower tie brace, rear hitch, [B]
JimKellyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 09:07 AM   #5
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Quote:
hi,

I live in southcentral Texas and still get the green light for the first mile or so during the summer. It's there for a good reason and will help your car last longer, and as it only lasts a few minutes it really isn't an inconvenience.

Patience is a virtue, y'know!
Old 07-09-2017, 01:26 PM   #6
Yaris709

Drives: 07 yaris
Any cars temperature will be low when first starting up after sitting for a period of time. There's nothing you can do about it. It's completely normal for this to happen. In winter it just takes a little longer to warm up.
Yaris709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 02:56 PM   #7
David C

Drives: White '07 3dr LB
The cheapest and easiest mod you can do is installing a block heater ($30~$50) and run it on a timer to activate 2-3 hours before your usual commute. If you don't work a fixed schedule (like me), then it's not always gonna help unless you leave it on 24/7 so it's always warm for when you need to roll out.
David C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 03:54 PM   #8
ACKING_QC
ManualTransmissionLearner

Drives: 2018 VW TSi Stage1
I was hoping for a picture of weird warning lights.. or a meme... I am disapointed
ACKING_QC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 07:18 PM   #9
rafhelp

ok i only asked as when i bought for first few days this light never came on
Old 07-15-2017, 11:39 PM   #10
tarkus

Drives: 2006 Yaris RS 3-Door
That makes no sense. it should always come on and stay on for the first few minutes.

Sent from my phone. Please excuse any typpos.
tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 01:10 AM   #11
scylla

Drives: 2015 Yaris L
Maybe he was like me. I didn't notice the light was on at startup for the first couple of times I drove it. Probably was too busy getting my seat just right and my all important tunes loaded.
Kinda freaked me out at first. I thought it was a over temp light until I finally looked through the owners manual.
scylla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 05:57 AM   #12
rafhelp

ok myabe you are right..

but what about the non responsive gas pedal, when cool light is on. going up hill pressing gas and doesnt seem to move, very sluggish even if flooring the pedal. its not like clutch where you get lots of revs and no movement..the revs dont go up. its like it doesnt want to go and you really have to push it
Old 07-24-2017, 07:05 AM   #13
sickpuppy1

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
Wait till winter gets here, you'll really hate it! lol
Old 07-24-2017, 08:33 AM   #14
David C

Drives: White '07 3dr LB
Quote:
ok myabe you are right..

but what about the non responsive gas pedal, when cool light is on. going up hill pressing gas and doesnt seem to move, very sluggish even if flooring the pedal. its not like clutch where you get lots of revs and no movement..the revs dont go up. its like it doesnt want to go and you really have to push it

The car doesn't want you to rev up the engine until the oil and cylinder walls are warm enough to get properly lubed, aka preventing you from wearing out your engine on cold starts. Let the engine run for a few seconds after startup before taking off, usually till the revs drop from 2k to 1.5k. Maybe 10 seconds in summer and 30 seconds in winter. Don't let it idle longer than necessary and drive it gently, without going above 2500 rpm/40km/h. That'll give you the best results. Also try to keep the electrical load on the alternator as low as possible until warm, as not to put additional drag on the engine.
David C is offline   Reply With Quote