Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-31-2010, 08:59 PM   #37
Banned

Drives: '10 Yaris5drHB+99 4runner LTD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodium Duck View Post
What? No it doesn't. You remove two of the bolts that the bumper attaches to and replace it with beefier longer bolts. Reference my install thread:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21071

And seriously, if you don't have a trailer hitch installed on your Yaris, then stop posting all your legal, read the manual it says not to, go get a truck baloney. I tow a 4' X 4' trailer every weekend loaded up with my trash. It equals the weight of two adults in my back seat. I can't even tell its back there -- even when I had a Christmas tree on it, 2 heavy trash bags, all my recycling, and bins.

The car tows fine, just like any other small passenger car in America. There is no reason why anyone can't tow with a Yaris -- just because the manual says you can't isn't a valid reason. My mommy and daddy say I shouldn't drink beer, either.

As far as towing 1,100 lbs? Come on, don't be dumb. That's why people start posting all this legal crap. In my own REAL LIFE EXPERIENCES towing with this vehicle, I wouldn't feel comfortable towing more than 500 lbs. total weight. That's just me though.
The Yaris transport tie downs are in front of the back wheels. nothing on earth will ever attach there once the Yaris is off the boat.

maybe the Draw Tite hitch is a more convoluted install requiring bumper removal....

the Curt 11050 hitch does not attach to bumper bolts nor require any bumper removal. just pop open 2 bumper clips, bend one unused metal tab, and it bolts onto the tow hook holes (also these are used as post-delivery tie-downs) on both sides. pretty sano install, and if you ever need to be towed or pulled out of a ditch, the hitch itself it what they will yank on.

and I agree with the 500lb part. no matter what you stick back there the Yaris steering rack, rods, balls and also brakes
can only do so much
127.0.0.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:46 PM   #38
Sodium Duck
╚══════════RN

Drives: 2008 Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Sodium Duck
It's quite possible to install the DrawTite without taking the bumper off, I just like to make things as complicated as possible when doing something.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:26 PM   #39
exit90a

Drives: 2007 Yaris
I'll be seeing how bad I can F-up the install myself when my hitch comes in. I plan on towing between 500 & 700lbs on 400 - 500 mile round trips a couple times a month once the weather warms. IMO, as long as you keep fresh oil in the engine, good brake pads and don't try to set any speed records, you will be able to tow up to 1000lbs easily and often. We shall see.
exit90a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 04:30 PM   #40
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
Good Luck.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:08 PM   #41
robertplattbell
I've made a post!

Drives: BMWs
Towing a travel trailer with a Yaris! Ouch!

Check out this e-Bay listing showing a Yaris towing a 2500 lb. camper. I have a similar camper and tow it with an X5.

The big problem is not only engine power, but braking ability. Even with trailer brakes, a rig like this could get away from you down a long grade.

And talk about the tail wagging the dog!

I towed a 3500 lb camper with a Toyota mini-pickup once. Talk about white knuckles driving...
robertplattbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 07:32 AM   #42
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquahiker View Post
Hi,

I did some searches on the forum and there's been various discussions regarding the Yaris towing up to 700lbs (for Canada). I was wondering how a company like Curt can market something for the Yaris that can hitch 2,000 lbs trailer weight and 200 lbs tongue weight:

CLASS 1 & 2 HITCH
Product: 11050

I was thinking about getting this trailer which is about 1100 lbs:

http://www.aliner.com/design/Xterior...did=4&sectid=5

But it looks like I might have to get something much smaller like this one at 450 lbs:

http://www.aliner.com/design/Xterior...did=6&sectid=5

What do you guys think?

George
We see it all the time. Class II rated vehicles with Class IV or V hitches installed and hugely over-weight trailers in tow. Retailers will sell/install anything regardless of ratings.
I once advertised a used class II hitch from our 2000 Windstar. A fellow called about it with questions. I advised that his Windstar was only rated to pull 1500# and not his large house trailer. He scoffed at that suggestion.
Some folks just don't give a rat's ass about safety. Neither theirs, their families or the surrounding motorists/pedestrians. Too bad there's no inforcement until after the carnage occurs.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 06:54 AM   #43
fe550

Drives: 2008 yaris sedan
I guess everyone has their opinion. I had a 2005 echo hatchback. Now I have a 2008 Yaris sedan and a 2006 Dodge Diesel 3/4 ton. 1st thing i bought for both toyota cars was a hitch. I have a 4 x 6 trailer with a wood deck (much like the one pictured above). I tow my dirt bike everywhere with the car. sometimes 2 dirt bikes. I'm at max capacity with 2 bikes and trailer. car drives fine. last weekend on the Hwy with 2 bikes, 2 guys, fuel and gear....120km/h (70m/h) no problems. I love my yaris and trailer set-up. easier to load than the truck and cheaper to drive. trailer was $300 at Canadian tire. hitch was $120 at ehitch.com. A perfect set-up for taking a load to the dump or picking up some wood if you have no truck... a must have in my opinion.
fe550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 09:11 AM   #44
Kongo-Otto

Drives: '09 Yaris & '10 Auris
That is how my hitch is mounted:

Its detachable and mounted directly to the subframe. It fits into the mounting points which are already prepared by Toyota themself. (Toyota sells a tow hitch here with their original accessoires).

Its very massive and also stabilizing the subframe, too.
Kongo-Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 01:59 AM   #45
birdman

Drives: '08 Blazing Blue Yaris LB
That type of trailer hitch is common on all sizes of cars all over Europe. What is it about Americans that makes Toyota so paranoid? I have an American made one on mine which is no where near as well made as yours is. Go wonder.
birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 02:43 PM   #46
attickt

Drives: 2009 toyota yaris S/JDM Vitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by POORSHA View Post
I use a trailer I got from Harbor frieght. I have found it great for Home Depot runs.http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=90153
you fail sir that is a lowes truck behind you.

yaris+induction= baby supra!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brg88tx View Post
i can just hear the rednecks behind me grumbling "g-damn fag car" before they pass me.
attickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 06:13 PM   #47
07 flint mica

Drives: 07 sedan.04 2500hd,10 mazda3
The most I would consider towing with my yaris is 500 lbs. Anything after that would be considered unsafe.
07 flint mica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 06:27 PM   #48
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
i just drove with 4 guys on the yaris.

me = 162 lbs
2nd guy= 165 lbs
3rd guy = 185 lbs
4rt guy = 205 lbs
5th guy = 170 lbs

total 887 lbs being dragged by a stock yaris.. slight rub on dips with trd springs.
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 06:55 PM   #49
Idahotom

Drives: 2008 5 sp. LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by POORSHA View Post
I use a trailer I got from Harbor frieght. I have found it great for Home Depot runs.http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=90153
While that is a reasonable load for the Yaris to haul, making your child ride back there is probably not a good idea. I think it says that somewhere in the owners guide. At the very least, get a seatbelt back there. Remember, safety first!
Idahotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 03:39 PM   #50
tk1971

Drives: 08 2Dr LB Base, Silver
Here's my harbor freight trailer. Just made a quick scaffold last night to keep the patio door upright. I picked up a patio door in the morning. The trailer has a 1000 lbs capacity. The sliding glass door with frame is probably a couple hundred pounds.

Drove at or under the speed limit on the streets for about 20 miles.

No problems.

tk1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 04:24 PM   #51
41magmag41

Drives: Loaded 2007 mica silver sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kongo-Otto View Post
That is how my hitch is mounted:

Its detachable and mounted directly to the subframe. It fits into the mounting points which are already prepared by Toyota themself. (Toyota sells a tow hitch here with their original accessoires).

Its very massive and also stabilizing the subframe, too.
Part number and where can I get it? Do they make one for the sedan?
41magmag41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 04:45 PM   #52
Kongo-Otto

Drives: '09 Yaris & '10 Auris
I am from Germany so there is no hitch for a sedan. We don`t have the sedan here.

Have a look at this:

http://www.toyota-tech.eu/legacy/Toy...8-B9552-00.pdf

Thats the installation manual for the towing hitch which is sold by Toyota here. Its nearly the same as mine.
Kongo-Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 06:10 PM   #53
41magmag41

Drives: Loaded 2007 mica silver sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kongo-Otto View Post
I am from Germany so there is no hitch for a sedan. We don`t have the sedan here.

Have a look at this:

http://www.toyota-tech.eu/legacy/Toy...8-B9552-00.pdf

Thats the installation manual for the towing hitch which is sold by Toyota here. Its nearly the same as mine.
thank you for the reply.
41magmag41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 09:11 PM   #54
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
Quote:
Originally Posted by tk1971 View Post
Here's my harbor freight trailer. Just made a quick scaffold last night to keep the patio door upright. I picked up a patio door in the morning. The trailer has a 1000 lbs capacity. The sliding glass door with frame is probably a couple hundred pounds.

Drove at or under the speed limit on the streets for about 20 miles.

No problems.

Great little set up.