Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 09-09-2015, 03:32 AM   #19
bairjo

I have Defenders and love them. However, you cant buy them anyplace now in the size we need for the Yaris. You can buy Defenders in the correct size at Sams club, sears etc....but those are considered "Club" tires...not exactly the same Defenders that they sell at a Michelin dealers in other sizes. Still good tires, but with something a little different about them.....just like anything you buy at Sams club.
bairjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 02:21 PM   #20
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by bairjo View Post
I have Defenders and love them. However, you cant buy them anyplace now in the size we need for the Yaris. You can buy Defenders in the correct size at Sams club, sears etc....but those are considered "Club" tires...not exactly the same Defenders that they sell at a Michelin dealers in other sizes. Still good tires, but with something a little different about them.....just like anything you buy at Sams club.
Really? Curious where you got that info. Also, does that apply to all the tires the club stores carry?
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 02:22 PM   #21
ern-diz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershey View Post
Considering the AS 3s' for the FIT next spring . Took these yesterday at SEARS . How's the gas mileage with them ? Gain , loss or same ?
I have not seen a change in gas mileage. Only noticeable change was how quiet and soft they are on the road.
Old 09-09-2015, 03:20 PM   #22
Ben_

Drives: 2010 Yaris Hatch
I had to warranty a tire at Costco because I punctured the side wall of the tire (non repairable damage). They had to order one from out of state since there weren't any the same size in stock. Took a few days and Costco only charged me the cost of mount and balance for a brand new tire. Yes Costco has a proprietary defender tire (defender xt I think) and that's ok because they come with a warranty anyway. I'm 100% positive if the tire was discontinued they would set me up with a different tire(s) because Costco takes customer service to a new level. Assuming you don't brake the terms of their warranty/agreement they will do everything for free/cost
Ben_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 05:23 PM   #23
bairjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
Really? Curious where you got that info. Also, does that apply to all the tires the club stores carry?

Call your local Michelin dealer and ask them for the size that fits the Yaris. You won't find them. Other sizes yes. Then, ask them about sams club tires.
Old 09-15-2015, 09:01 PM   #24
UberSilver

Drives: 08Yaris2D, 88LandCruiser.
I've just worn out my Defenders in 50k miles. They looked as if I could get another 15~20k out of them, but Costco takes the side of caution. I went in for a flat repair. The tire guy side they were getting close to the wear bars.

I thought I only had around 30k on them, but I never look at my total miles. I just use the B-trip meter for rotation(every 7~8k miles).

Anyway, Costco pro rated me and installed 4 new Defenders for a total of $250.

FYI, Defender XT are the box store tires. If they read Defender, they are the every store type. All the Defenders at Costco were XT, except the 185/60/15, as they are Defenders(no XT).

IMO, even thoe Costco Stupidly builds there tire centers under capacity, I still feel about there service(to spite the three hour waits for rotations).

Quote:
Old 09-15-2015, 09:06 PM   #25
UberSilver

Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
Defender XT are the warehouse type tires, non XT are all others.

And I got that from reading on the Michelin site.
Old 09-15-2015, 09:13 PM   #26
bairjo

So can anyone find the "non XT" tires for a Yaris?
Old 09-15-2015, 09:18 PM   #27
UberSilver

Quote:
So can anyone find the "non XT" tires for a Yaris?
The ones I just got are non XT. But they are the 185, everything larger had XT on it. I was a little bummed out when I got home, and found I had non XT. I went on the michelin site and found out what the XT really meant, as the Costco BS'er told me the XT had stronger sidewalls().

From Michelins site

"XT" sidewall marking = available at Wholesale Clubs.

Last edited by UberSilver; 09-15-2015 at 09:52 PM.
UberSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 09:22 PM   #28
bairjo

Yea, I was wondering what the difference was. Now I know...thanks.
Old 09-16-2015, 11:33 AM   #29
ern-diz

Good info, Uber.
Old 09-16-2015, 11:57 AM   #30
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
I've got Defenders on my Camry and like them very much for their quiet, comfortable ride and good wet and dry capabilities. But, they're certainly not a high performance tyre. I don't think I'd be happy with them on the Yaris.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 12:27 PM   #31
UberSilver

The Camry is higher performance than a Yaris(HP wise). I bought my Yaris for MPG, not sports car performance. I've got a motorcycle for going fast.
Old 09-16-2015, 08:36 PM   #32
bairjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberSilver View Post
I've got a motorcycle for going fast.

So I guess you are trying to say you have defenders on your motorcycle?
Old 09-16-2015, 10:18 PM   #33
UberSilver

Quote:
So I guess you are trying to say you have defenders on your motorcycle?
Dont recall stating that. The bike has Pirelli Angels.
Old 09-23-2015, 05:33 PM   #34
bairjo

Well this is interesting....Hope my tires last as long as they are rated for...
http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2015/...r/?intcmp=hpff
Old 06-20-2017, 05:03 PM   #35
UberSilver

Update! Went to the tire store to get more Defenders. Not in stock! So I got Continental control contact instead. Same 90k mile warranty. I'm shocked how much better they are! better grip, but biggest difference is how quiet they are. Very low road noise. $388. out the door from Americas Tire.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:19 PM   #36
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
^^^ $388. OTD is good!
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote