Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-02-2017, 10:09 AM   #1
MeepMeep

Drives: 2017 Yaris SE
Door Guard Molding

Does anybody use the factory door guard protection strip that Toyota offers? What is your opinion on how it looks and is it a quality add-on?
MeepMeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 11:34 AM   #2
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Those are the strips that run vertically along the door edge, right? If so, I personally cannot stand how those look.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 12:00 PM   #3
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
^^^ What ern-diz said.

Those ugly things usually don't protect your car from scrapes and dings; they protect the other guy's car.

So, if you're a careful and considerate driver, you really don't need them.

But, someone who just swings his/her car door open with little regard needs to install them... please.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 08:10 PM   #4
YarTed

Drives: 2015 Yaris 5Dr
I am in agreement with both earlier comments. I have also seen long term damage to the painted edge of the door its trying to protect. Lets say your nice protection strips are starting to loose their looks, so you peel them off. Then you gasp when you see the paints been worn off on some sections. I would stay away from them.
YarTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 10:48 AM   #5
MeepMeep

Drives: 2017 Yaris SE
Door Guard Molding

I was actually referring to the larger horizontal protectors that are designed for other people striking your car.
MeepMeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 12:18 PM   #6
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeepMeep View Post
I was actually referring to the larger horizontal protectors that are designed for other people striking your car.
Ah, gotcha.

Still not a fan

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 03:21 PM   #7
Dodge Aries K
My Yaris is a "racecar"

Drives: 2007 Yaris hatchback
I have those on mine. I don't expect them to protect anything but I wanted them because pretty much no other Yaris has them.
Old 08-11-2017, 05:54 PM   #8
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Oh... body side moldings. Gotcha.

Well, not a big fan. However, properly installed, they can protect the car from some dings caused by inconsiderate/careless drivers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg body side moldings.jpg (72.8 KB, 42 views)
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 06:47 AM   #9
mrpj

Drives: 2014 Icon+ 1.33l Multidrive
[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

I have them on my Yaris, not colour matched but black. They are easy enough to fit and secure with the 3M tape already fixed to them. They are not cheap, in the U.K. that is (genuine Toyota).
It needs some careful measuring following the instructions because once stuck they are really stuck! They are not horizontal. On my Mk3 they slope upwards towards the rear.
As to their effectiveness I can't say. However there are do "dings" on my doors. Whether that's down to the protectors or the doors not being hit by the inconsiderate I don't know.
I suspect when painted they would look better and I have found that they don't keep the black colour due to weathering. I have used a product that has restored them and so far they have stayed black after many months since restoring them.
I'll try and insert a picture.
Done.

Last edited by mrpj; 08-12-2017 at 09:35 AM.
mrpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 08:00 PM   #10
YarTed

Looks good, I have the same ones. its a 2015 no door dings yet
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6259.JPG (86.8 KB, 26 views)
Old 08-16-2017, 08:37 AM   #11
mrpj

Drives: 2014 Icon+ 1.33l Multidrive
I personnally don't mind them in black, as long as they remained that way!( saves paying for or attempting to paint them yourself) They do match the window surrounds, the trim in front of the door mirror and the "B" pillar covers.
When I fiited them I did the front doors first then used a suitably long piece of straight planed timber, resting on top of the moulding, to mark the top postions of the rear doors.
Is your car the same colour as mine Ted, or slightly lighter grey/ silver. Could be the lighting though. In the U.K., and Europe I think, it's Decuma Grey.
mrpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 10:45 PM   #12
YarTed

Thanks MRPJ, my thoughts as well and with all the black accents, it kind of goes. I was not able to get my color. I have not heard of Decuma Grey ? I do like your color.I have seen different names for same color code. Mine is 4V8 , they actually call it brown sugar. From what I know for at least in Canada, a color code starting with 4 is in the brown range. I was kind of nervous to order the car as I had not seen that color on a car or Yaris. It looked good in the brochure and I am happy with it. They only used it for my one year. It does look closer to grey then brown most of the time, depending on lighting.Good job on your molding installation. I had a Toyota dealer install them, I work for Toyota and had worked at that dealer for about 11years, so I get a pretty good deal.
Enjoy your Yari Cheers Ted