Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-28-2009, 09:40 AM   #1
soonyeh

Drives: yaris
power steering auto shut off

there are this signs that be4 the incidence occur... headlamp and odometer getting dimmer and start blinking... the radio set starting to go off and on a few times... after that the power was so hard that i cant hardly turn... it is so dangerous if i was taking the corner... do u guys know probably wat is the problem... i suspect that the circuit is having the problem...
soonyeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 09:42 AM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by soonyeh View Post
there are this signs that be4 the incidence occur... headlamp and odometer getting dimmer and start blinking... the radio set starting to go off and on a few times... after that the power was so hard that i cant hardly turn... it is so dangerous if i was taking the corner... do u guys know probably wat is the problem... i suspect that the circuit is having the problem...

If I had to guess, I'd say the problem is with your alternator.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:56 AM   #3
yarismaris
Banned

Since we have electric steering (no hydraulic steering system, but an electric motor that assists in turning), and since the failure is related to other electrical failures, and since the symptoms you describe, I would almost certainly say the alternator. Take this from a guy who used to have to buy crap used cars and drive them until they gave out. I have had dozens of alternators go out, and that sounds like it. If it is under warranty, go get a free new one at the dealer!

P.S. I always wondered if the electric motor ran off of the alternator or was a separate system, but I guess I answered my own question lol. By the way, do any of you guys know where the steering electric motor is if I look under the hood? I always wanted to see how big it is just out of curiosity. Personally I LOVE electric power assist. It beats this complex system of tubes and liquids lol.
yarismaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 12:05 PM   #4
soonyeh

thks for the info... im not sure where the motor located at cause im a noob to car... haha...
soonyeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 12:07 PM   #5
mikenacarato
SIPNDEW

Drives: 15 STI
Send a message via AIM to mikenacarato
if i had to guess, the motor is probably made into the rack.
mikenacarato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 01:23 PM   #6
SailDesign

Drives: .

I always thought the power steering "turned off" when you were going faster than 10 or 15 mph. You certainly don't need it after that. I wonder if a lack of power somehow seizes the motor up.
But...
SailDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 01:34 PM   #7
mikenacarato
SIPNDEW

Drives: 15 STI
Send a message via AIM to mikenacarato
well if you alt. or batt. is failing and not putting out the required voltage, the electronics stop working. i would say its a batt or alt problem
mikenacarato is offline   Reply With Quote