Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-13-2010, 11:38 AM   #73
dbielawski

Drives: 07 Yaris
OK...here's my problem: 07 sedan, automatic, power windows, door locks & mirrors. Desperately need cruise! Ordered cruise stalk & cruise wiring harness plus ECM repair terminal (part # 82998-24250) and 2 spiral connector repair terminal (82998-12870) as I am lead to believe I need to run a wire from ECM to wheel as discussed in other discussions. I'm not overly comfortable doing this stuff so printed off forums, pictures, diagrams, etc. and dropped them off at my mechanic, who know what he is doing. He intalls cruise stalk and drills hole in wheel cover. I did order cover with cruise hole already in it but was shipped the one without the hole. Another whole long story I'll save for another time. Go to pick up the car and he says it doesn't work. He said there already was a wire at connector A21, pin 40. Is this possible? He also said he couldn't locate connector D3 under the steering wheel. I am lost!

I appreciate someone taking the time to take my hand and lead me through this. I have read and reread all the forums discussing installing cruise and STILL don't get it.
dbielawski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 01:00 PM   #74
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbielawski View Post
OK...here's my problem: 07 sedan, automatic, power windows, door locks & mirrors. Desperately need cruise! Ordered cruise stalk & cruise wiring harness plus ECM repair terminal (part # 82998-24250) and 2 spiral connector repair terminal (82998-12870) as I am lead to believe I need to run a wire from ECM to wheel as discussed in other discussions. I'm not overly comfortable doing this stuff so printed off forums, pictures, diagrams, etc. and dropped them off at my mechanic, who know what he is doing. He intalls cruise stalk and drills hole in wheel cover. I did order cover with cruise hole already in it but was shipped the one without the hole. Another whole long story I'll save for another time. Go to pick up the car and he says it doesn't work. He said there already was a wire at connector A21, pin 40. Is this possible? He also said he couldn't locate connector D3 under the steering wheel. I am lost!

I appreciate someone taking the time to take my hand and lead me through this. I have read and reread all the forums discussing installing cruise and STILL don't get it.

If the wire in pin 40 is blue, then I believe it (some 07-08 Yaris have the wire from there to connector AD4 (which is way up high under the dash, but not the wire from AD4 to D3). If it's not blue, then he is looking at the connector incorrectly.

As for D3, it is under the center of the steering column (he has to remove the lower steering column cover to see it). It is the White connector below, with the one black wire (which is what yours will look like).

CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 01:13 PM   #75
dbielawski

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
If the wire in pin 40 is blue, then I believe it (some 07-08 Yaris have the wire from there to connector AD4 (which is way up high under the dash, but not the wire from AD4 to D3). If it's not blue, then he is looking at the connector incorrectly.

As for D3, it is under the center of the steering column (he has to remove the lower steering column cover to see it). It is the White connector below, with the one black wire (which is what yours will look like).

Many thanks. Let's say he is looking at the connector correctly and the wire is blue...now what? How much of a PITA is it to get the wire from AD4 to D3?

Also, let's say there's a blue wire in pin 40...could it be removed and a new wire run directly to D3, bypassing AD4?

Last edited by dbielawski; 08-16-2010 at 01:20 PM.
Old 08-17-2010, 02:12 PM   #76
dbielawski

Quote:
Many thanks. Let's say he is looking at the connector correctly and the wire is blue...now what? How much of a PITA is it to get the wire from AD4 to D3?

Also, let's say there's a blue wire in pin 40...could it be removed and a new wire run directly to D3, bypassing AD4?
Can anybody help?
Old 08-17-2010, 03:18 PM   #77
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:

Getting to AD4 requires removing the top of the dash, so if there is a wire in pin 40, I would tap it and run to the steering column.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:44 PM   #78
CB900F2

Drives: 08 Sedan
Scott..

Do we assume the conection between D3 and V1 are there?, have you ever checked your Yarris buggy/plow?

I just reced the OEM CC stalk I ordered and pissed that Toyota went to all of the troubole to have the ECU with the CC software installed, and harness fabed with all the interwire connects except D3 to AD4! Man I hate those guys at Toyota!..

P.S...Do we know the terminal specs or the termial size part# if I wanted to add the two connects to D3.. The terminals are very small and I have never seen this type at any local electronic store..

P.P.S.. Scott, have you ever take apart your gauge cluster too see if the electrical traces are there for the CC light indicator in hoping that all is needed is possible a inline resistor and/or SM led

Quote:
Getting to AD4 requires removing the top of the dash, so if there is a wire in pin 40, I would tap it and run to the steering column.
CB900F2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 08:14 PM   #79
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB900F2 View Post
Scott..

Do we assume the conection between D3 and V1 are there?, have you ever checked your Yarris buggy/plow?

I just reced the OEM CC stalk I ordered and pissed that Toyota went to all of the troubole to have the ECU with the CC software installed, and harness fabed with all the interwire connects except D3 to AD4! Man I hate those guys at Toyota!..

P.S...Do we know the terminal specs or the termial size part# if I wanted to add the two connects to D3.. The terminals are very small and I have never seen this type at any local electronic store..

P.P.S.. Scott, have you ever take apart your gauge cluster too see if the electrical traces are there for the CC light indicator in hoping that all is needed is possible a inline resistor and/or SM led

D3 to V1 wires are definitely there, as there is only one clockspring used on USDM Yaris.

My FAQ thread has the pin part numbers:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...ght=cruise+faq

I have taken apart the non-cruise clusters and they lack anything related to cruise indication.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:38 AM   #80
dbielawski

Quote:
Your sharing of information is much appreciated. Off I go to my mechanic with this information. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again!
Old 08-24-2010, 11:50 AM   #81
Midnight Drifter
Going Retro

Drives: '09 Tacoma | '90 Tercel
Wait, so is it just plug and play or do you need to run wires to the ECU?

I don't quite understand what's going on here. ._.

I can't afford to buy something that doesn't work and/or screw up the installation. >.<
Midnight Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 12:11 PM   #82
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Drifter View Post
Wait, so is it just plug and play or do you need to run wires to the ECU?

I don't quite understand what's going on here. ._.

I can't afford to buy something that doesn't work and/or screw up the installation. >.<
It depends on the year and if it is AT or MT, as to whether it is plug and play at the steering wheel, or if extra work is required:

Old 08-24-2010, 01:28 PM   #83
Midnight Drifter
Going Retro

Quote:
It depends on the year and if it is AT or MT, as to whether it is plug and play at the steering wheel, or if extra work is required:

That I understand, for the record I have a '10 LB Power Package, and I see the cruise light indicator on the dash when I shine a flashlight in the general area.

What I don't get is how do you wire the stalk itself? I don't see any connectors to plug the stalk into.
Old 08-24-2010, 02:19 PM   #84
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
That I understand, for the record I have a '10 LB Power Package, and I see the cruise light indicator on the dash when I shine a flashlight in the general area.

What I don't get is how do you wire the stalk itself? I don't see any connectors to plug the stalk into.
If you look at the 4th thread in the DIY, he shows the stalk installation. The connector that the stalk connects to is the same one that the horn is connected to. With no cruise, there is just one wire on that connector and with cruise there are three. The OEM cruse control switch wire replaces the existing one.
Old 08-29-2010, 01:22 AM   #85
Midnight Drifter
Going Retro

Quote:
If you look at the 4th thread in the DIY, he shows the stalk installation. The connector that the stalk connects to is the same one that the horn is connected to. With no cruise, there is just one wire on that connector and with cruise there are three. The OEM cruse control switch wire replaces the existing one.
I'm guessing the cruise switch directs a certain level of feedback down the wire?

Well, either way, after my next payment, I'll save the paycheck after that to gather these parts. Can't wait to install it myself~!
Old 08-29-2010, 03:38 PM   #86
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
I'm guessing the cruise switch directs a certain level of feedback down the wire?

Well, either way, after my next payment, I'll save the paycheck after that to gather these parts. Can't wait to install it myself~!
The ECM has an analog input that looks at the voltage coming from the stalk pin, with respect to ground. The resistors between the switches have different values, so when each is pressed the ECM sees a different voltage on the CC pin.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:19 PM   #87
dbielawski

Quote:
Your sharing of information is much appreciated. Off I go to my mechanic with this information. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again!
OK..here is where I am at. On the clock spring at 3 wires/pins. 1 for horn, 1 red & 1 black. The cruise switch has a red & black. The black on the cruise is wired to pin 40 on ECM. The red on cruise is wired to red on clock spring. It still does not work. Where exactly do the 2 wires (red & black) of the cruise go? 1 goes to pin 40? One goes to ???? There are only 2 pins on connector D3, not 3???
Old 09-01-2010, 04:01 PM   #88
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
OK..here is where I am at. On the clock spring at 3 wires/pins. 1 for horn, 1 red & 1 black. The cruise switch has a red & black. The black on the cruise is wired to pin 40 on ECM. The red on cruise is wired to red on clock spring. It still does not work. Where exactly do the 2 wires (red & black) of the cruise go? 1 goes to pin 40? One goes to ???? There are only 2 pins on connector D3, not 3???

I was about to say that you need to get your eyes examined in regards to the 2 vs 3 pins on D3, but then I took a look and noticed that on my 08 there are indeed only 2 pins on the clockspring side of that connector.

The other pin for the cruise control is ground. You can simply tie the other wire to the frame of the steering wheel, since it is a chassis ground.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:10 PM   #89
dbielawski

Quote:
I was about to say that you need to get your eyes examined in regards to the 2 vs 3 pins on D3, but then I took a look and noticed that on my 08 there are indeed only 2 pins on the clockspring side of that connector.

The other pin for the cruise control is ground. You can simply tie the other wire to the frame of the steering wheel, since it is a chassis ground.
Again...many thanks. Message will be passed on to my mechanic and we'll see where that takes us. Stay tuned!
Old 09-04-2010, 09:13 AM   #90
Iluvamyaris

Drives: 09 Yaris 3 door M/T
Aussie Yaris CC no-go?

Hi CTScott. I have a M/T 3 dr in Australia. Should I not even bother looking to see whether I can fit CC to my vehicle?
Iluvamyaris is offline   Reply With Quote