Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-24-2010, 10:10 AM   #1
Arkhangel

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
DIY Cellphone Car mount

Hey guys whats up been a while saw this and thought i would shave, i just ordered the parts for my HTC Evo :D

Taken from overclockers.co.uk

I have made the dash mount because I didn't like any of the existing ones available. I really liked the mount that my old Garmin Nuvi satnav had so I bought a spare Garmin mount on ebay (£2.68) and a Desire black rubberised hard case (£1.85) and set to work on my mission.

The result is a pivoting, rotating and rigid mount that's super quick and easy to attach the phone to and does not vibrate at all in my car as I found the £9 mount to on rough roads.

Oh and because the case itself is made for the phone the camera lens is not obstructed so videos can be recorded and so on while driving etc.

Mount I previously bought online (£9):

Mount I just made (£4.53 total cost):

Rear of DIY mount, the case is attached using mirror bond sticky pads (the thin ones) instead of the proposed Araldite glue - just in case it did not work out :

Detachable for storage (not easily possible on other mounts as they're so big):

Compared to old mount:

Here's how the hardcase normally looks:

eBay links to products:
Case: http://cgi.ebay.com.hk/ws/eBayISAPI....m=330446978431
Garmin Mount: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=290450514715

Update2:
Here's a quick video showing how easy attach and detach is and also the sturdiness:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETIGI0SeXFo

Update3:
People have asked how the mount is attached to my dash and if it's glued to it (!), no glue at all! Garmin satnavs come with a stick on base plate which I've previously stuck on to my dash. You can buy these plates if you don't have one on eBay for cheap. I bought several back in the day for various cars etc that I would be driving and some spare.

You can get the plates here: eBay or buy many of the variations available there too.

They should not leave any residue on your dash if removed carefully although removal is not needed really.

bad company - photography - appbrain
Last edited by Khaaan!; 31st Jul 2010 at 16:13.

The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense. --Tom Clancy
Arkhangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 10:49 AM   #2
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
pretty cool...

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 03:32 PM   #3
r3b3l

Drives: 2010 Yaris 3dr liftback
http://www.proclipusa.com/?sectionpa...ageid=1&dtype=

personally I like this better, no drills no suction cups that fall off everyday. and its mounted close to you. 2 peice kit made specifically for the yaris. The mount is made for the car and you have to get a phone mount for the type of phone you want to use. Sure its about 70 bucks but its worth it to me if i dont have to drill or lick suction cups. You really only need the 30 dollar part and you can make your own holder.
r3b3l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 03:37 PM   #4
Arkhangel

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
Hey the more options the better

The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense. --Tom Clancy
Arkhangel is offline   Reply With Quote