Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-12-2006, 02:03 PM   #1
punch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan "D" package
sedan handling sucks

I have noticed over the last month, that my sedan in stock form, sucks in the handling department... eg. today at highway speeds (120km/hr), with a damp road, the car was hard to handle and felt unsafe... then a transport truck passed me and the wind from this truck, broke my rear-end loose, almost causing me to hit the center-rail..

Will better tires, and lowering my car help this handling problem, my previuos car handled like it was on rails, and this one has me in fear !!!

Punch
punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 03:15 PM   #2
Moose
Resident Redneck

Drives: 07 Polar White Yaris Sedan 5M
Lightbulb

I dunno, man. Mine (also a sedan) has been wonderful as far as handling is concerned. I drive almost 100 miles a day, most of the time at 80mph, and even in the rain I've had no feelings of instability. I've even done a couple runs into the mountains where I live, and I've found the car to be very balanced, even "flickable" for you two-wheelers out there.

Stupid question, but have you checked your tire pressure and tread depth?
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 05:52 PM   #3
Tankota
Prototype Tester

Drives: Yaris S-Sedan / FJ Cruiser
While the does get buffeted a bit by high wind and trucks due to it's light weight, I've never had any problems near that.. I just took it yesterday on a nice tight deserted 70 mile mountain road, realy got to play around with it and pushed it in the corners, other than the rear being a bit light and no rear sway bar, it handled much better than I was expecting... I think I took a few thousand miles off the tire rubber though...

Like said above, maybe check the tire pressure, it should be set to what's listed in the door, if they are over inflated they will perform realy bad on wet surfaces.
Tankota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 08:32 PM   #4
stuffy

Drives: 06 yaris 5-dr le man
i've had the experience of being tossed around a bit in a cross wind (in my hatch), but nothing too bad.
stuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 08:47 PM   #5
fearturtle44

Drives: S Flint Mica
Well, this car is a very LIGHT car (one reason for the nice MPG) so the chance of swaying when a tractor trailer or cross wind comes by is very possible.

Kevin
fearturtle44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 02:17 AM   #6
Ryu

Drives: Copper Orange Mica Yaris
My hatch got lowered with eibach spring, and even that rally spoiler installed from dealer( god knows will it help air drag or not), my car get tossed around sometimes during big crosswind and big trailer drive by.

I think this car do a pretty good job against front air drag but not the crosswind and the crowsswind from trailer, cuz those wind are from the side, and due to it's light weight, it sure get tossed around sometimes

But I do find a small but not huge technique to prevent this, when you encounter crosswind or trailer drive by you, don't let go of your gas pedal.
I find that when I stop pressing my gas pedal during those situation make the car sway worse, so step on the gas pedal all the way might add a little secured feeling to yourself.

Ps. This information might not be correct, but I just want to share my experience with you guys, at least it works for me

Last edited by Ryu; 07-13-2006 at 02:32 AM.
Ryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 10:18 AM   #7
Moose
Resident Redneck

Drives: 07 Polar White Yaris Sedan 5M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryu
But I do find a small but not huge technique to prevent this, when you encounter crosswind or trailer drive by you, don't let go of your gas pedal.
I find that when I stop pressing my gas pedal during those situation make the car sway worse, so step on the gas pedal all the way might add a little secured feeling to yourself.
Good point- I have found in my little adventures that there is a fair amount of lift-throttle steering with the Yaris (take foot off gas, car slightly dives to right or left depending on vehicle attitude). It's great for autocrossing and mountain runs, but I can see where it could be a little unnerving just driving around town.

I could see this coming, though- the Yaris comes with a nice, supple suspension that, while insulating you from the road, will have negative side effects like this. Not to mention, the side of the car is so tall that crosswind will have a bigger impact on it than other, lower profile cars.
1985 Toyota Celica GTS Coupe 5M- track whip
http://www.importlounge.com
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 10:31 AM   #8
Lafiro

Drives: 06 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to Lafiro
Well, from my experience, it handles incoming air pretty well. But air coming from the side from crosswinds really do "push" the car. It feels weird. yesterday we had a severe storm pass over where I was driving, and lets just say I hydroplaned more times on the highway then I will ever want to again, I almost crashed once just cause I tried changing lanes. And ofcourse this was keeping up with highway speed.

But handling is alright, it isn't the best ofcourse, but I like it. My car is still stock.

How does yours' do with difference rims/tires?
Lafiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 11:29 AM   #9
Ryu

Drives: Copper Orange Mica Yaris
I can't even imagine how does the previous generation echo stand those crosswind because they are even lighter than Yaris lol
Ryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 06:44 PM   #10
wwwh355

Drives: 07 Yaris Flint Mica
Send a message via ICQ to wwwh355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafiro
Well, from my experience, it handles incoming air pretty well. But air coming from the side from crosswinds really do "push" the car. It feels weird. yesterday we had a severe storm pass over where I was driving, and lets just say I hydroplaned more times on the highway then I will ever want to again, I almost crashed once just cause I tried changing lanes. And ofcourse this was keeping up with highway speed.

But handling is alright, it isn't the best ofcourse, but I like it. My car is still stock.

How does yours' do with difference rims/tires?
No matter how fancy your car is.
Match your speed to the road and weather conditions is important.
My sedan got tossed by the side wind also.
But to a light weight car, it is normal.
As long as I can keep the car in lane, it is fine and safe.
I believe a tire and ride-height adjustment can change that though.
Alloy Wheels Upgrade
Extra Miles Pkg
wwwh355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 07:01 PM   #11
YarisPR

Drives: Yaris Sedan
Mine sticks to the road pretty damn good before my Yaris Sedan I hade a VW passat AWD and I can assure you there isn't much difference. Then again i'am ridding on TRD 18 and I lowered the car (no shock just springs).

About the wind there is nothing to do about
Old 09-28-2006, 08:31 PM   #12
sroberts

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
We had a really big rain a few days ago and I was extremely impressed how it did in the rain and going around the corners. Felt very solid.
Old 09-28-2006, 09:09 PM   #13
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Lower car = lower center of gravity and less surface area exposed to high winds = more STABLE

Wider tires would help too. Its simple physics.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 09:55 PM   #14
YarisPR

Drives: Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles
Lower car = lower center of gravity and less surface area exposed to high winds = more STABLE

Wider tires would help too. Its simple physics.
couldn't say it better myself

People always remember we are driving a economy car not an lexury ca r so don't expect more than what u paid for
Old 09-29-2006, 08:18 AM   #15
Katana

Drives: Yaris LB 1.3lt 06
Send a message via MSN to Katana Send a message via Yahoo to Katana
Quote:
Originally Posted by sroberts
We had a really big rain a few days ago and I was extremely impressed how it did in the rain and going around the corners. Felt very solid.

Here too.And I was amazed by the way the car handles.
Katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 09:17 AM   #16
pxpaulx

Drives: Barcelona Red 5spd sedan
i thought it does quite well in the rain also - the crosswind moves are expected because it is such a light car. they're not as bad as it was in my 99 civic, or our saturn vue - that was the worst, really bad in the rain glad we got rid of it!
pxpaulx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 09:26 AM   #17
vodkalush
I drive a yarrrris

Drives: 07 Sedan Polar White
Send a message via AIM to vodkalush
punch

what size tires do you have? I remeber reading awhile back (last week prob ;-) ) someone saying the the handling was alot better with 15 vs 14...

Docotrs say all the drikning has mesesd up my seplilng and radieng

will work for parts
vodkalush is offline   Reply With Quote