Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-14-2019, 08:01 AM   #1
BennyLava

Drives: 1987 Silverado
Starter grinds sometimes?

2009 Sedan. I'm having some trouble with my starter. It seems to want to grind, for seemingly no reason. When I start the car when the engine is cold, the starter will grind. Doesn't matter how long you hold the key down. Also doesn't matter if I use the remote start I had installed. It will grind. But when the engine is warmed up, it never grinds.

The car has 210k on it, and its the original starter. Do old, worn starters grind? In my experience they just get weak and won't turn the engine over fast enough to start it, or they just quit working altogether. Never heard of one that would grind when the engine is cold.
BennyLava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 08:39 AM   #2
Leegamer

Drives: No longer own a yaris :(
I've heard that could be the bendinx(I think that's right) gear inside the starter wearing out. Not sure if you can easily lube that, I've never had the starter out of my yaris but it would be relatively easy to get out and examine.
Old 01-14-2019, 03:51 PM   #3
GrayYaris

Drives: Gray
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyLava View Post
2009 Sedan. I'm having some trouble with my starter. It seems to want to grind, for seemingly no reason. When I start the car when the engine is cold, the starter will grind. Doesn't matter how long you hold the key down. Also doesn't matter if I use the remote start I had installed. It will grind. But when the engine is warmed up, it never grinds.

The car has 210k on it, and its the original starter. Do old, worn starters grind? In my experience they just get weak and won't turn the engine over fast enough to start it, or they just quit working altogether. Never heard of one that would grind when the engine is cold.
If you determine it's the starter I have a new Denso starter in the box. I ordered it when I had to replace my starter (fairly easy job, btw), but decided to go with a reman unit that was local. Never bothered returning it. I would have to take a look at what it's worth, but obviously I would sell it cheaper than buying it from a parts store.

That said, a reman unit would probably be even cheaper. The reman starter I have in my car has lasted over 100k.
GrayYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 04:39 PM   #4
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayYaris View Post
If you determine it's the starter I have a new Denso starter in the box. I ordered it when I had to replace my starter (fairly easy job, btw), but decided to go with a reman unit that was local. Never bothered returning it. I would have to take a look at what it's worth, but obviously I would sell it cheaper than buying it from a parts store.

That said, a reman unit would probably be even cheaper. The reman starter I have in my car has lasted over 100k.
I'd be interested in that starter depending on the price and if there is proof that it is a new unit.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 04:52 PM   #5
GrayYaris

Drives: Gray
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
I'd be interested in that starter depending on the price and if there is proof that it is a new unit.
I'm not sure if I can prove it, aside from taking a picture. I believe it was purchased online, so I should be able to find a receipt. The unit is not at my apartment. I should be able to find time to pick it up within the week.

Thanks,

Chris
GrayYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 03:55 PM   #6
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Mine did that. Changed the starter and have been good since. I documented it via YouTube video and people commented on how it was happening to them, too.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 08:52 AM   #7
BennyLava

Drives: 1987 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
Mine did that. Changed the starter and have been good since. I documented it via YouTube video and people commented on how it was happening to them, too.
Got a link? Saw several but I was wondering which one was your video.
BennyLava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 11:53 AM   #8
ern-diz

Sure thing, my video is here. I used an image of my car for the thumbnail.

Best to watch on a computer as I put a pop-up at the moment the sound happens, which makes it easier to hear. Happens for just a split second as the car starts up. If it's the same sound you're hearing, you'll be able to identify it right away. And if it is the same sound you're hearing, you need a new starter lol.

On Wheelwell
Old 01-17-2019, 11:16 PM   #9
bairjo

Nothing wrong with grinding...

https://youtu.be/QiMQ7wMTGpU
bairjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 10:33 PM   #10
ern-diz

On Wheelwell