Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-07-2009, 08:26 AM   #37
Yawesh

Drives: 08 sedan at
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaYa View Post
+1
My tach hovers just above 500rpm and if I pop the hood I can see the engine vibrating pretty good, and just a slight tap on the throttle, to get it up to ~1000rpm and the engine looks completely still (nice balancing +1 Toyota Engineering!). OP, this is propbably the shaking your feeling, and even though it's normal, it drives me nuts cuz I like everything to be smooth. I feel your pain

Does anyone know how to tweak the ECU to make it idle a bit higher?
thanks, just not use to seeeing a new car shaking already lol
Yawesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 05:34 PM   #38
SunBug

Drives: 2010 yaris
I have a 2010 Yaris (automatic) and my car shakes when my car is idol, in drive, with the brakes applied (at a red light). When driving its fine, and when in neutral or park its fine. But the minute I come to a red light the entire car begins to shaking. Does any one know what could be causing this?
SunBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 06:04 PM   #39
nobodywise

Drives: Yaris sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunBug View Post
I have a 2010 Yaris (automatic) and my car shakes when my car is idol, in drive, with the brakes applied (at a red light). When driving its fine, and when in neutral or park its fine. But the minute I come to a red light the entire car begins to shaking. Does any one know what could be causing this?
It's normal I think, mine does it all the time
nobodywise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 06:50 PM   #40
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunBug View Post
2007 AT (87K miles) with no shaking at idle in drive.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 10:29 PM   #41
CoryM

Drives: 2009 5-door, 5-speed
It's normal. My car idles at 550rpm when hot.... that is VERY low for a tiny 4banger to run smoothly so it runs a bit rough (it's actually impressive it runs at all at that rpm).
Cheers.
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 04:41 PM   #42
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Drives: black sand lb
KCALB SIRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 05:30 PM   #43
ezhacker1

Drives: Decepticon - Ravage
any chance of a vacuum leak?

Check out my Build thread:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52274
ezhacker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 11:45 PM   #44
CoryM

Drives: 2009 5-door, 5-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezhacker1 View Post
any chance of a vacuum leak?
Actually re-reading it, yes. I missed the " with the brakes applied" part. Sounds like your brake booster may be leaking. See this post for more info:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43093
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 09:19 AM   #45
hondajt

Drives: 2013 Yaris LE 5Dr
^^Thanks for linking that, as I never would have figured out how to test that. Thanks.

Anyone know if I can raise the idle a little? I understand the vibration is normal and coming mostly from the low idle at red lights, etc....but I dont like it. I feel like raising the idle RPM's a little would alleviate the problem without causing harm.
hondajt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 01:57 PM   #46
Jcp123

Drives: '00 Echo
The NZ is indeed a naturally vibey engine...in my Echo all the way up to today's Yaris. Just the way it is. Kinda un-Toyota-like, but the low idle is probably another attempt to keep fuel economy high. If so, it works.

I often shift to N (mine is an autotragic) or just turn the engine off at lights.
Jcp123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 05:10 PM   #47
LugNut

Drives: 2007 2DR Liftback
If you are due for a tune-up (plugs, wires, air filter), do it. Could be a bad spark plug or wire, or plugging up filter.

Worse would be a failing fuel injector, sensor, or IAC if these engines have them. Or even a motor mount, jumped timing chain, sticky valve, etc.

But as mentioned, "four-bangers" are inherently unbalanced; inline sixes and V-12s are inherently smooth unless really badly designed.
LugNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 11:19 PM   #48
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCALB SIRAY View Post
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 02:07 PM   #49
SunBug

Drives: 2010 yaris
Just an update. I changed my spark plugs and filters. Only to suspect my transmission mount. Both the transmission mount and bottom motor mount were bad. Replaces those, and now the whole car just sounds rough. Im going to assume its the motor settling in. .. I love my car, but all this work is going to drive me nuts. I just hit 100k and have a feeling my Zippy is going to need alot more work. He still looks beautiful though.
SunBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 07:13 AM   #50
LugNut

Drives: 2007 2DR Liftback
Get thee to an experienced mechanic! Hopefully he/she can identify the problem for you at low or no cost, then you can decide if you want to do the repair yourself.
LugNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 10:33 PM   #51
Jlively
Mr J.

Drives: 2009 yaris 5 dr HB
Send a message via AIM to Jlively
I have a 09 AT LB and I get a slight vibration in drive full stop while holding the breaks. I havent messed with it really to see if it goes away if I lightly let the breaks up some so Idk on that note lol. Its not a very bad shake, rather minor. I hear it shaking the front under carriage plastic molding on the under side of the motor where it meets the wheel well... *mine is slight messed up and a lil out of line* but I hear some of the plastic shaking more than I feel it shaking.
Ive had other cars do similar and after a quick spark plug change it stopped so I just assumed I might be due for new plugs. Im just about to hit 89k and I do believe they are the factory iridium's. I dont recall the previous owner ever changing them, and if they had I would be the first they would have called to do it for them lol. The slight vibration doesnt bother me much, just curious as to what was causing it, and like usual this site has answered another question for me. :D
Jlively is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 12:06 AM   #52
Jcp123

It's more vibey than any four-cylinder I have driven, with the possible exception of the Chevy Aveo...a car which, BTW, was a big disappointment in so many ways, the interior looked so inviting in pictures! Of course my Echo is bad, it has 250k of some of the most poorly-maintained miles I have ever seen behind it, but also a series of 2010 Yarises or Yarii or whatever :D back when I worked rental cars. I also found that the Yaris' extra weight sapped all of the power and FE advantages I found in the Echo which made up for its un-Toyotalike lack of refinement.
Old 12-06-2014, 12:32 AM   #53
Jcp123

Quote:
Originally Posted by XYaris View Post
Having a tach installed helped me to immediately understand what the shaking is and that it is not a real issue.

When I idle at a light, in nuetral (5sp) but Im not pressing on the brakes the engine will be idling @ ~1000rpm. When I apply the brakes the rpms drop down to say 700 or so, causing a definite vibration. If I let up on brakes, the revs go slightly higher and the shaking goes away. The power brakes are parasitic to such a point on this engine that you can feel the engine adjust to running them. I could see this being a more continual feeling if you drive a automatic.

Anyway, this is the only vibration I have noticed in the car. Im not sure if thats what your referencing. The phenomenon I described seems totally normal and harmless to me.
It's not the brakes themselves, your engine is pumping that vacuum either way. It's the brake lights. I can feel the same thing running wipers, headlights, rear defrost, etc. that energy has to come from somewhere...
Old 12-27-2014, 12:15 PM   #54
sang pengembara

Drives: Y-sedan'07-1nzfe engine swap
get rid from vibration Y-07 sedan

Hello there,
I wana share the experience with Y-07 sedan.
1. Vibration during idling
2. More Vibration when AC is on
3. Vibration are common in all gear position P/N/D/3/2/L
4. Noisy vibration is entering the cabin...

I do solved these problem by replacing the Engine and transmission mount (total are 3 pieces ).. Now My Yaris-07 is nice to drive. no more vibration and noisy cabin ... .. I hope the tips will be useful.
sang pengembara is offline   Reply With Quote