Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-31-2012, 06:48 PM   #1
angrygenerator

Drives: 08 Yaris
Question A/C leaking and running cold even when turned off!

Yesterday while driving my friend to her doctors appointment, we both noticed the sound of running water when ever I turned a corner, and upon further inspection we saw that the carpet on the passenger side of the car was all wet from water dripping from under the dash. From reading other browsing other threads on this forum I understand that the outlet pipe from the A/C maybe blocked or maybe even where the A/C box itself might be clogged with debris. Now the weird thing was despite the A/C being switched off, and the temperature control knob itself had not been set to maximum, ice cold air continued to pumped into the cabin when ever the fan was set to blow air.

I have an appointment on Monday morning at my local Toyota dealer here in Nashville, but I'd still like to hear from anybody who has had similar issues to my own before then.

Thanks,

AG.
angrygenerator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:25 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
With all that water in the air box, you may simply have an evaporative cooler effect.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:26 PM   #3
angrygenerator

Drives: 08 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
With all that water in the air box, you may simply have an evaporative cooler effect.
You might be right, it certainly makes sense that cooling because of evaporation might occur..

Tonight I fitted a cabin filter and removed some paper that had gotten sucked into the unit. I also pushed a stiff wire up the outlet hose of the A/C, which caused about about cup of water to drain out of the pipe. Hopefully I've fixed the problem, but if not I guess I'll just have to take it to the dealer on Monday, and hope that Toyota agrees to fix what ever problem they find out, under warranty.
angrygenerator is offline   Reply With Quote