Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-29-2018, 06:42 PM   #1
naossoan

Drives: 07 Yaris 3DR
How to remove rear drum, stripped holes

When going to rotate my tires, one of the lug nuts was seized. Long story short, the stud snapped.

I went to get replacements, but I can't get the rear drum off.

The 2 holes that you can screw in 8x1.25 bolts into had a bunch of crud in them. I cleaned them out best I could and tried using them.

The threads in the holes stripped instantly so they are of no use now.

How do I pull the drums off?

2007 Yaris hatchback

Thanks
naossoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 07:06 PM   #2
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Put your wheel back on. With the lugs only slightly loose, drive the car forward and hit the brakes. Now go in reverse and hit the brakes. Repeat a couple of times. This should crack the drum free.

Sent from my Elite_5_5_Octa using Tapatalk
Old 09-29-2018, 08:53 PM   #3
naossoan

so i was able to get the drum off by beating it with a hammer.

I got the stud out by beating it with a hammer as well.

Now how in the hell do I get the new stud in? I got it fished in through the back and through the hole.

I couldn't push it in the hole by hand with the teeth etc so I used a wrench as a washer behind the lug nut and tightened it down with my tire iron.

I am now unable to tighten it anymore while trying to hold the thing in place, since it spins freely and the stud is not even close to being completely in the hole. I do not have any power tools of any kind :(

What do!? :D

Thanks
Old 09-29-2018, 09:06 PM   #4
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Get a ratcheting wrench and a long socket. Tighten the nut down until it pulls the lug all the way through and flush your the hub.

Step 2: get some power tools ;)
Old 09-29-2018, 09:55 PM   #5
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Back to getting the drums off. In our school shop the other day, a few kids were beating, prying, yanking, tugging on a drum to no avail. I suggested that they turn the star adjuster back. They did so and the drum came right off. I showed them how the ebrake shoes (this was a drum in hat rotor) make a groove on the inner surface of the drum and that's why it's hard to get the drum over the shoes.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 02:34 AM   #6
naossoan

So I was able to get the drum off.

The drum was spinning freely so I assumed there was no issue with the pads dragging or getting stuck on it so I didn't mess with the star screw adjuster.

I kept hitting the brake drum on the front face of it near all the bolts while spinning it around. Eventually I shocked it enough and was able to pull it off.

As for tightening the slug I was able to do it by bringing my wheel up close and under the brake and using another tool wedged in the wheel spokes add the hub to stop it from turning while I tightened down a nut to pull the slug into the hole.

I'm just glad that Toyota didn't design the thing so it is impossible to get the slugs out without doing a whoooole bunch of other work. There was enough space behind the plate to wiggle the slugs in and out so that was great.
Old 09-30-2018, 07:37 AM   #7
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by naossoan View Post
. There was enough space behind the plate to wiggle the slugs in and out so that was great.
Yes, There's a little depression in the backing plate that allows for easy stud removal. I learned this from other members when I installed the longer studs for my H&R 10 mm wheel spacers. I was lucky to have access to our school shop air tools which made seating the studs child's play.

Another quick school autoshop story: A couple of kids were experiencing trouble getting the studs out past the backing plate of a 1/2 ton truck. One of them grabbed the torches and cut a little 'window' in the backing plate to take the stud out. Inadvertently, he cut out the shoe retaining pin slot. That car got bolted back up without any ebrake parts and a backing plate had to be ordered. While things like this are unfortunate, can be costly, and happen because of a low teacher-to-student ratio, these are learnings that are firmly entrenched, generally not having to be experienced a second time.

Congrats on the getting the job done!

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 09-30-2018 at 07:50 AM.
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 11:19 PM   #8
bairjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by naossoan View Post
so i was able to get the drum off by beating it with a hammer.
s

Your next project will most likely be replacing the bearing....
bairjo is offline   Reply With Quote