Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-23-2018, 08:37 AM   #55
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
I won't say Toyota couldn't include a hot variant for you, but my 2007 Yaris has plenty of performance in all regards for my needs and tastes. (So much joy when its super tight U-turn saves a trip around a block in the age of one-way streets. Or turn into a mall parking lane and the first space in one arc.)

There should also be, on the same platform, an actual 4-door wagon in the line, and maybe even a high roof puffed-up sort of minivan.

Mind of Toyota should look at their circa 1990 Corolla Wagon (the last subcompact Corolla, where the 2wd wagon had the roof pushed up a bit and serious rear overhang w/ a large upright hatch...the 4wd wagon was pretty different and didn't excite me). Also the way Honda simultaneously included several variants of a new Civic generation in 1984. (The wagon was amazing...though one useless feature was the little roof windows at the very back.)

Last edited by dogsridewith; 12-23-2018 at 03:56 PM.
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 12:53 PM   #56
DarkShadowFox
Banned

Drives: 2015 Yaris LE 3door 1F7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsridewith View Post
I won't say Toyota couldn't include a hot variant for you, but my 2007 Yaris has plenty of performance in all regards for my needs and tastes. (So much joy when it's super tight U-turn saves a trip around a block in the age of one-way streets. Or turn into a mall parking lane and the first space in one arc.)

There should also be, on the same platform, an actual 4-door wagon in the line, and maybe even a high roof puffed-up sort of minivan.

Mind of Toyota should look at their circa 1990 Corolla Wagon (the last subcompact Corolla, where the 2wd wagon had the roof pushed up a bit and serious rear overhang w/ a large upright hatch...the 4wd wagon was pretty different and didn't excite me). Also the way Honda simultaneously included several variants of a new Civic generation in 1984. (The wagon was amazing...though one useless feature was the little roof windows at the very back.)
the mentalitiy of its fast enough its good enough etc is whats making this thing stagnate because toyota sees it sells hits there target of like 5000 and then keeps using the same platform, the more people complain about it needing to change or want a hot variant with nice things and stuff the more its going to happen, right now theres nobody for it or speaking about it at all so toyota has no reason we prob need atleasts 10,000 people willing to thrown down a 5k deposit on a hot variant for toyota to be happy.

i mean i am kind of working on my own variant of the GRMN using two different platforms, maybe if people throw money my way to "development" i can bring it to toyota HQ and convince them to mass produce it.

edit: just realized 50m is a HUGE budget for a hot hatch, but it would really get toyota talking. I know how to save this hatch but toyota wont let me/ help me do shit and its so infuriating. i may not have an engineering background but i spend about 17 hours a day planning my build and have the technical specs of this entire this gen lineup, if thats not dedication then idk what isnt.
DarkShadowFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 08:10 AM   #57
Leegamer

Drives: No longer own a yaris :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkShadowFox View Post
what an ugly car.
I'm an ugly guy, I like ugly cars.
Old 12-24-2018, 01:03 PM   #58
DarkShadowFox
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leegamer View Post
I'm an ugly guy, I like ugly cars.
Old 12-26-2018, 08:18 AM   #59
Leegamer

Quote:
I'm more of a function over form dude.
Old 12-26-2018, 08:49 AM   #60
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
Just saw TV ad of Mitsubishi's 2019 lineup. The front ends are all so so excessive/awful that the gen 3 Yaris hatch's simple big grille is starting to look pretty good.
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 04:50 PM   #61
Leegamer

Quote:
yeah 200 hp is function. power sets and telescoping steering are function. awd is function.
Agreed! And I'd take that in a fugly car over a fantastic looking car with none of that stuff.
Old 12-26-2018, 07:44 PM   #62
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Quote:
edit: just realized 50m is a HUGE budget for a hot hatch, but it would really get toyota talking. I know how to save this hatch but toyota wont let me/ help me do shit and its so infuriating. i may not have an engineering background but i spend about 17 hours a day planning my build and have the technical specs of this entire this gen lineup, if thats not dedication then idk what isnt.
Are you seriously surprised that Toyota didn't entertain that idea? I can guarantee that Toyota engineers have tossed your ideas around before and they opted against them for sound business reasons.

The majority of us stating we are interested in a GRMN state side would not actually want to or he able to put forth the cash to do so. There is a lot more that goes into deciding the fate of a car then cost. Whether we like it or not, Toyota as a business knows what they are doing and are clearly excelling at it.

If car enthusiasts alone ran car manufacturers then they would be bankrupt before a few years

PS: please do the readers of the forum a favor and use punctuation, it will make your posts readable.
Old 12-26-2018, 08:23 PM   #63
DarkShadowFox
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
Are you seriously surprised that Toyota didn't entertain that idea? I can guarantee that Toyota engineers have tossed your ideas around before and they opted against them for sound business reasons.

The majority of us stating we are interested in a GRMN state side would not actually want to or he able to put forth the cash to do so. There is a lot more that goes into deciding the fate of a car then cost. Whether we like it or not, Toyota as a business knows what they are doing and are clearly excelling at it.

If car enthusiasts alone ran car manufacturers then they would be bankrupt before a few years

PS: please do the readers of the forum a favor and use punctuation, it will make your posts readable.
yeah but they can buy a BMW and re badge it as a supra. what a crummy company.

they didnt bin or toss anything im literally the only one assembling such a thing right now, if it takes me 5 years it takes me 5 years.

also i was the push behind the UK GRMN because i had a great relationship with UK Toyota who was responsive and had great customer service.
Old 12-26-2018, 08:44 PM   #64
tmontague

There are many moving parts to running a successful business/company, Toyota evidently has that part figured out. Whether car enthusiasts like it or not, they know what they are doing. A business that makes a small portion of their customer demographic (read: enthusiasts) happy is not a successful one, they have to appeal to all and number one is their shareholders.

Do you have pics of your assembled or partly assembled GRMN? YW is not new to members making large claims, many were unfortunately nothing more then that...
Old 12-27-2018, 08:31 AM   #65
Leegamer

The supra makes more sense than an awd forced induction yaris. Obviously most of us her would rather have a monster yaris but a sporty car that looks like a sporty car is going to be more appealing to the masses than a sporty car disguised as an econo-box.

Let's be realistic, the general public is not very well educated about cars and you almost have to make things obvious in today's market. The focus RS sold poorly in the US, as would a hot hatch yaris, whether we like it or not.
Old 12-27-2018, 11:00 AM   #66
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
A "monster" Yaris would be cool, but how many customers would actually buy the ridiculously overpriced econobox? It would certainly be a major fail for Toyota America.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 11:10 AM   #67
Leegamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
A "monster" Yaris would be cool, but how many customers would actually buy the ridiculously overpriced econobox? It would certainly be a major fail for Toyota America.
Exactly.

And with time, tools, and 50k I bet a garage-built awd yaris could be achieved. Where I live if you have a vin and pass a safety inspection once a year your car is road-legal, lol.
Old 12-27-2018, 05:37 PM   #68
DarkShadowFox
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
There are many moving parts to running a successful business/company, Toyota evidently has that part figured out. Whether car enthusiasts like it or not, they know what they are doing. A business that makes a small portion of their customer demographic (read: enthusiasts) happy is not a successful one, they have to appeal to all and number one is their shareholders.

Do you have pics of your assembled or partly assembled GRMN? YW is not new to members making large claims, many were unfortunately nothing more then that...
yeah i have a rear bumper tailights a steering wheel a spoiler im missing the front bumper and rims and the sideskirts.

the hard part is not finding the parts the hard part is the money

*points at build thread*
Old 12-27-2018, 05:39 PM   #69
DarkShadowFox
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
well because toyota america sucks and caters to a demographic of suvs and moms.

its why all the 90s sportscars failed, there only going with a BMW so it attracts people that will actually want to buy a car

BMW makes people wet in the panties and rush to it even its a steaming pile of junk toyota cant sell a sports machine even if they wanted to?

but they can sell the GRMN overseas when its perfectly legal here, i think fords just jealous toyota can make a faster car for cheaper.
Old 12-27-2018, 05:40 PM   #70
DarkShadowFox
Banned

Quote:
Exactly.

And with time, tools, and 50k I bet a garage-built awd yaris could be achieved. Where I live if you have a vin and pass a safety inspection once a year your car is road-legal, lol.

well i dont have 50k and i half half the parts, so. yeah. lmao. GL.
Old 12-27-2018, 05:43 PM   #71
DarkShadowFox
Banned

Quote:
The supra makes more sense than an awd forced induction yaris. Obviously most of us her would rather have a monster yaris but a sporty car that looks like a sporty car is going to be more appealing to the masses than a sporty car disguised as an econo-box.

Let's be realistic, the general public is not very well educated about cars and you almost have to make things obvious in today's market. The focus RS sold poorly in the US, as would a hot hatch yaris, whether we like it or not.
the ford focus RS sold poorly because people want SUVS to be "up high and feel safe and because they need AWD"

a big vehicle doesnt need you safer, good driving skills do. AWD doesnt have tocome in just SUVS its all about money big heavy vehicles break faster and are harder and more complex to service.

a monster yaris makes sense because its a huge potential tuner market, just because you all drive second gens and cant afford it or see the potential doesnt mean i have to settle for garbage because im "poor". it has the same spec sizes as a honda civic 90s hatch and taller and shorter but just as wide, it is super modular and its super light weight and rigid esp if you get the 3 door ;)

like i said early, if ford can spec out there focus hatchbacks and stuff for a reasonable price so can toyota and those sold poorly.

i tell this story all the time i put snow tyres on my yaris and survived 3 blizzards and a whole bunch of crap in my car, i had an SUV and it was a service nightmare and completely useless
Old 12-27-2018, 10:16 PM   #72
tmontague

Quote:
yeah i have a rear bumper tailights a steering wheel a spoiler im missing the front bumper and rims and the sideskirts.

the hard part is not finding the parts the hard part is the money

*points at build thread*
I asked because your thread hasn't been updated in 16 months and you are constantly stating how you're building a GRMN, how easy it is and how much you know about it. This sounds a whole lot like vaporware - of all the crucial components and fabrication of your proposed build - which would take someone akin to Stephen Papadakis to do - you have only acquired the least important/ easiest to attach pieces.

By all means prove me wrong but if I was a betting man there is no way in hell this "build" in actually anywhere close to happening except in a thought bubble. Your posts and statements comes across as a "me too" shout out amidst all of the actually engine swaps and yaris builds going on in real time on this thread. Again, please prove me wrong by actually posting up images of your build and progress made on more than a computer monitor. I;m sure many on here would love to see one of the biggest Yaris fabrication/builds ever since Garm was kicking around.

Quote:
well because toyota america sucks and caters to a demographic of suvs and moms.

its why all the 90s sportscars failed, there only going with a BMW so it attracts people that will actually want to buy a car

BMW makes people wet in the panties and rush to it even its a steaming pile of junk toyota cant sell a sports machine even if they wanted to?

but they can sell the GRMN overseas when its perfectly legal here, i think fords just jealous toyota can make a faster car for cheaper.
The Toyota American that "sucks" is one of the most successful automotive manufacturers still kicking around. There is a reason others have taken bailouts and closed up plants or all out discontinued whole segments of vehicles. One kid's pipe dream of a vehicle does not make for a successful business. A board of directors exist for a reason.