Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Tracking, Racing, Auto-X Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-17-2011, 03:51 PM   #865
Jason@SportsCar

Drives: 2015 H Production Yaris
Yeah, we don't have enough truck to pull that monster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekqmb View Post
Jason I think we might have you beat lol....
Here is our Race Trailer, full kitchen, bed, shower, 4 flat screens in it, inside air floor lift, built in 80 gallon air compressor,

Our Race car, was wrecked last year so its being rebuilt this winter for the next race season, hopefully we will racing the Yaris next year as well and it will get to see the trailer.
Old 10-17-2011, 03:56 PM   #866
jekqmb
Local Sh*t Disturber

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB
Haha Yea its like a mobile home, we pull it with our H1 Hummer..... Its overkill, damn thing takes up sooooo much room when its in the shop, it is nice when we have to work on the viper at races though! Tons of room
Old 11-09-2011, 03:15 PM   #867
Jason@SportsCar

Can't run another year down on power... And no way we are taking a crack at custom cams again.

Jun cams on the way. I sure hope they work. Now do I put them in the old ported head, or start from scratch.

Old 11-09-2011, 03:20 PM   #868
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
^ Finally, someone who will be able to tell us how the JUN cams do in real life.

I don't care which head, as long as we have some measure of the difference they make.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 03:25 PM   #869
Jason@SportsCar

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
^ Finally, someone who will be able to tell us how the JUN cams do in real life.

I don't care which head, as long as we have some measure of the difference they make.
Fingers crossed its not just more money into the R&D pit. To save turn around time we are getting another stock head. We will either put them in the old ported head, or have the new one modified when these are fitted.

These are the 9.5mm lift units. Supposed to be here in 7-10days.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:40 AM   #870
racerb

Drives: 2010 Yaris HB Blazin' Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@SportsCar View Post
What do you do when you have a small race car... overcompensate with a big trailer. Now with a 29' box we can haul two cars.

This is my race trailer (one day when the car is finished) as it looked the day I brought it home.

And the only car thats riden in it so far, my NASA PACE-UV, our '98 Rav4!

racerb
'98 Rav4L
'01 Tundra SR5
racerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 05:54 PM   #871
Jason@SportsCar

What a pisser... It has been nearly a week since payment was sent to Jun, no response. No confirmation of payment, other than from Amex, and no shipping info.

Is this really how the JDM guys do business?
Old 11-15-2011, 08:25 PM   #872
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
I had the same trouble just trying to ask questions. Never could extract a meaningful dyno from them. I'm sure they'll just show up without notice.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 08:41 PM   #873
Jason@SportsCar

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
I had the same trouble just trying to ask questions. Never could extract a meaningful dyno from them. I'm sure they'll just show up without notice.
They were really good with answering questions before I placed the order, ask a question and by the next day I had a response, but nothing now. They claimed six day shipping, so far I am six days without shipping info.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:32 PM   #874
racerb

Hey Jason, contact Chris Rado at World Racing, he's a Scion Factory driver and has lots of great contacts from JDM to USDM. One of his main supporters is Brian Crower of BC Cams, they make all his custom pieces for his Scions. His site is; http://www.world-racing.com/ , and he is one really great guy to work with.

racerb
'98 Rav4L
'01 Tundra SR5
Old 11-16-2011, 04:11 PM   #875
Jason@SportsCar

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerb View Post
Hey Jason, contact Chris Rado at World Racing, he's a Scion Factory driver and has lots of great contacts from JDM to USDM. One of his main supporters is Brian Crower of BC Cams, they make all his custom pieces for his Scions. His site is; http://www.world-racing.com/ , and he is one really great guy to work with.

racerb
I contacted BC a few weeks before ordering the Jun units, I heard a rumor they were going to build Yaris cams, but all they offer is a regrind. We have already been down that road with a well known Runoffs winning engine builder, with limited success. The problem is none of these guys are going to spend the time to develop a cam maximized for our needs - we have rules we need to meet that don't apply to the normal consumer - without a lot of R&D money on our end. Most people won't be shopping for a max lift .390 cam, using stock fuel injection, with limited port work and a stock bottom end. Welcome to Limited Prep Prod class, its a cheap engine build. :)

Buying something like the Jun cams, that supposedly has the R&D behind it, is a less costly investment than starting from scratch. If it works.

It took some poking, but I now have a tracking number. Fingers crossed it all turns out well.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:56 AM   #876
racerb

Good luck Jason, this is one reason I left SCCA for NASA, the rules restrictions were getting to be too much! It only took me about 23 years of beating my head against the wall to figure it out and I was just running IT.

racerb
'98 Rav4L
'01 Tundra SR5
Old 11-17-2011, 05:50 PM   #877
Jason@SportsCar

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerb View Post
Good luck Jason, this is one reason I left SCCA for NASA, the rules restrictions were getting to be too much! It only took me about 23 years of beating my head against the wall to figure it out and I was just running IT.

racerb
I guess the 18 years I have been at it are not enough to feel that way. The rules are black and white, and easy to follow. Everyone in my class on my prep line has the same mods, there is no guessing. The only challenge we face is that we are racing a Yaris, so parts are harder to find. That is not the Club/rules fault.

NASA, forget about it. It would triple my build cost. Screwing around with all the possible points options, no thanks. Worst of all, lack of competition and tiny fields. Which class was it that had a single car at the Nasa Nationals, PTF or something? *edit, the single car class was PTF in 2010, this year they had three cars. Sorry, but three cars at the biggest event of the year is just sad.
Old 11-17-2011, 05:51 PM   #878
Jason@SportsCar

Spent a couple hours in Torrance, and now we have a spare head to prep for the new cams. This one only has 1200 miles on it.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:19 PM   #879
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Any chance you could take a rubbing of the intake face for some measurements? I'm still not having much luck reverse-engineering the mounting hole dimensions for the outer two bolt holes using only pictures. Lens distortion is a real bastard when trying to project geometry, and the gasket--well, you know. =/
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:39 PM   #880
Jason@SportsCar

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
Any chance you could take a rubbing of the intake face for some measurements? I'm still not having much luck reverse-engineering the mounting hole dimensions for the outer two bolt holes using only pictures. Lens distortion is a real bastard when trying to project geometry, and the gasket--well, you know. =/
I will try.

I have a spare intake manifold I could loan you if that helps?
Old 11-17-2011, 07:56 PM   #881
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Quote:
I will try.

I have a spare intake manifold I could loan you if that helps?
Well, I think a rubbing would be cheaper to mail, but the intake would give me a chance to get the other mounting locations as well. Could you get a shipping quote for 49426?
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:55 PM   #882
racerb

Quote:
I guess the 18 years I have been at it are not enough to feel that way. The rules are black and white, and easy to follow. Everyone in my class on my prep line has the same mods, there is no guessing. The only challenge we face is that we are racing a Yaris, so parts are harder to find. That is not the Club/rules fault.

NASA, forget about it. It would triple my build cost. Screwing around with all the possible points options, no thanks. Worst of all, lack of competition and tiny fields. Which class was it that had a single car at the Nasa Nationals, PTF or something? *edit, the single car class was PTF in 2010, this year they had three cars. Sorry, but three cars at the biggest event of the year is just sad.
Well maybe after NASA has been around for 60 plus years, we'll have more cars at our Championship weekend. Here in NASA Southeast we don't car count issues, most of our events, Road Atlanta especially draws 375-450 cars. Yes the PT car counts aren't the greatest, but it's still a growing class only about 5 years old with new cars making the move from TT.

The local SCCA regions are loosing IT cars annually, with ITB-ITC almost completely depleated. I raced IT from 1986 to 2000 and was never allowed to relocated my battery, put in NASCAR door bars or install Lexan window. Hell the first few years I couldn't even remove the passenger seat. I like the NASA rule set better, cause I can choose the mods I want and be as stock or modified as I want.

With all the free mods availible, I will most likely only move up one class from base classing, so my '87 Celica GTS which is based as PTF will fit nicely in PTE and be extremely competitive. One thing our guys like about PT here, is they can run TT, PT, or SM and lots are running TT, PT, or Honda Challenge. The Corvette guys really like it cause they can run TT, PT, and ST2 all in the same weekend if they like.

racerb

PS: I used to be a NASA hater, till I made the switch, now every weekend is a joy not a struggle with politics!!
'98 Rav4L
'01 Tundra SR5

Last edited by racerb; 11-17-2011 at 09:31 PM.