Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-21-2009, 12:28 PM   #19
pennyracer
boydstir

Drives: 08 yaris liftback
Send a message via AIM to pennyracer Send a message via Yahoo to pennyracer
i don't think that foam will work near as nice as the dynmat or others plus once you feel the extra weight on the door as it closes and it does not tang like a aluminum can it will sound like a Lexus door shutting very nice if you want to kill road noise and rattles
pennyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 12:29 PM   #20
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
i would assume you'd have quiet a bit of room.... I haven't opened up the yaris doors yet.. but i'd be surprised if you can't fit 1".... my mazda was more like 2" (in places).

i'd say go with 1/2" and lay that foam over the top of a layer or two of mat.
Old 03-21-2009, 12:37 PM   #21
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
Oooh! Nice little link. Personally I'll use Ensolite, it's more flexible and geared more for reducing resonances and adsorbing sound.

Here's something to look at:

"Polyethylene foam is a strong and resilient closed cell foam . Ideally suited as the material or part of a material required in products requiring a shock absorbing, this closed cell foam padding is also a great way to diminish the effects of vibration and dampening. Polyethylene is available as closed cell foam sheets that are well-suited for use as insulation, barrier or buoyancy component, and as a material for cushioning products in packaging applications. Polyethylene foam's excellent buoyancy allows it to be used in flotation equipment, and other nautical products."

"Ensolite, its durable, flexible and resilient closed cell foam with a medium feel. Its squishy characteristic makes it great for exercise mats, camping pads, boat cushions. Excellent for use in leisure, marine/flotation, industrial and automotive applications. "

I think we're looking at the difference between the poly being much more stiff of a foam versus the Ensolite being more of an absorbing material.

The foams that are used mostly in car audio applications for sound reduction are Second Skin Luxury Liner/Pro, Ensolite, Dynamat's Dynaliner and Extremeliner among others. The Ensolite you buy from Raamaudio is the least expensive.
Old 03-21-2009, 12:51 PM   #22
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by talnlnky View Post
I haven't opened up the yaris doors yet..
Well then how do you drive it?

sorry couldn't resist.
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 12:57 PM   #23
dccurrent

Drives: Yaris 5 door Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyracer View Post
i don't think that foam will work near as nice as the dynmat or others plus once you feel the extra weight on the door as it closes and it does not tang like a aluminum can it will sound like a Lexus door shutting very nice if you want to kill road noise and rattles
I also realized that this foam would need to be treated with adhesive in order to be applied. But, do you mean that the Dynamat will make my doors heavy like a Lexus or the foam I linked to? The foam I linked to comes in different densities so it can get quite heavy in a hurry. And, just for the record, I want my doors heavy that close with a thud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by talnlnky View Post
i would assume you'd have quiet a bit of room.... I haven't opened up the yaris doors yet.. but i'd be surprised if you can't fit 1".... my mazda was more like 2" (in places).
i'd say go with 1/2" and lay that foam over the top of a layer or two of mat.
That is a fair assessment. I'll go with that size and play it safe, especially since I can compensate lack of thickness with a higher density foam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqcomp View Post
Oooh! Nice little link. Personally I'll use Ensolite, it's more flexible and geared more for reducing resonances and adsorbing sound.

Here's something to look at:

"Polyethylene foam is a strong and resilient closed cell foam . Ideally suited as the material or part of a material required in products requiring a shock absorbing, this closed cell foam padding is also a great way to diminish the effects of vibration and dampening. Polyethylene is available as closed cell foam sheets that are well-suited for use as insulation, barrier or buoyancy component, and as a material for cushioning products in packaging applications. Polyethylene foam's excellent buoyancy allows it to be used in flotation equipment, and other nautical products."

"Ensolite, its durable, flexible and resilient closed cell foam with a medium feel. Its squishy characteristic makes it great for exercise mats, camping pads, boat cushions. Excellent for use in leisure, marine/flotation, industrial and automotive applications. "

I think we're looking at the difference between the poly being much more stiff of a foam versus the Ensolite being more of an absorbing material.

The foams that are used mostly in car audio applications for sound reduction are Second Skin Luxury Liner/Pro, Ensolite, Dynamat's Dynaliner and Extremeliner among others. The Ensolite you buy from Raamaudio is the least expensive.
It seems their gymnast foams are similar to ensolite and they mention it in their description.
http://www.closedcellfoams.com/gymnasticrubber.html

The problem I see now is applying an adhesive to the surface of this foam. I looked at Damplifier (which is generally the same thing, closed cell foam) and it's quite pricey, but does come with adhesive backing. Ah, decisions, decisions.
dccurrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 12:57 PM   #24
bdc87
HISTORY REPEATED 11/04/08

Drives: 07' MM Vitz LB
Send a message via AIM to bdc87
I did the sides/doors and back/trunk/hatch with 50ft. The only thing left would be the front floorpan and possibly roof. I would recommend the front floorpan as this the only area sound now comes from and plan to do this when I replace the seats.
bdc87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 06:17 PM   #25
WolfWings

Drives: Silver 2007 3Dr - Gryph
The Ensolite takes about a can of spray-adhesive; RaaMAudio sells that too, they sell three things. Foam by the yard, spray-adhesive by the can FOR the foam, and self-adhesive mass-adding dampener by the roll. Nothing comes close for the money, even if you use twice as much of the RaaMat it's not as expensive. :-)
Old 03-21-2009, 09:28 PM   #26
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
i actually found the exact same brand of spray adheisive that raamaudio sells at a local fabrics shop.

The foam doesn't add weight...well, not the kind of weight that matters... foam is for absorbtion... mat is to lower the resonance... which in turn makes the panel require more acoustic energy before it'll start to vibrate.

Foam inside your door will help alot in soaking up the backwave from the speaker.... which will help improve bass response.
Old 03-22-2009, 01:19 AM   #27
WolfWings

Drives: Silver 2007 3Dr - Gryph
Yeah, aside from the mat, RaaM isn't anything you can't find elsewhere off-the-shelf. They only 'make' one product, and sell the two products alongside that the majority of their users will use as well. It's a good business model, IMHO, very clean niche to sit in and I'm glad he's there.

The foam is the real key to making the music sound good, the mat is what gives everything that ultra-satisfying 'thump' when you close the door. I'm definately stripping out the front seats and forward carpet and matting the front firewall this summer though, the engine is (by 6-12db) the loudest noise you hear inside the car at this point.

I will say this though, the 2009 Yaris Liftbacks are much quieter inside than the 2007 models for road-noise. Just went with a friend to pick up theirs, we were able to do back-to-backs with my matted 2007, and his 2009, and what we remembered of my 2007 before I matted it. The 2009's so still rattle-clank just as badly on things like the doors and sides though.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:17 PM   #28
dccurrent

Drives: Yaris 5 door Liftback
I have decided to go with 1/4 inch neoprene to act as a sound barrier. I did some quick research online and it seems that this material beats out a lot of the "brands" floating around. Ensolite is good, but falls a little short of the neoprene. The material is just as impervious and resistant to water, mold, and rot as any other closed cell foam. It's a little more expensive but I think it's worth it.
dccurrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:31 PM   #29
Alien Mantis
Secret Agent

Drives: 2008 Yaris Hatch
This stuff works great for sticking your sound dampening panels with:

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/3m-supe...ive-77-24.html
Old 11-14-2013, 12:37 PM   #30
pennyracer
boydstir

Drives: 08 yaris liftback
Send a message via AIM to pennyracer Send a message via Yahoo to pennyracer
my 3door i used 102 sq ft of dynaliner and dynapad

all interior panels were lined also if 102 sq ft sounds a bit high for some people

pennyracer is offline   Reply With Quote