Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-29-2006, 11:12 PM   #1
tiksman

Drives: 07 Red Hatch
Canada tach in a US Yaris LB

I bought a cluster with tach from Canada and did some testing .
Install is simple like removing the radio but 2 screws and 2 plugs on the cluster. I installed the cluster and it worked great but no switch for km to miles on the odometer. The miles stay with the cluster. I drove 2 miles and put back in the original and the original had the same miles it had when I removed it. Because of this I am keeping the non tach one. The buzzer also is not so loud on the CDN cluster. I also tryed to swap the circuit board (small) in the cluster which resulted in no display. Well I did try. I liked the look of the CDN cluster much better.
tiksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 01:51 AM   #2
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
OoOoH really? Pictures? Anyone have any ideas on getting it from KPH to MPH? Can you just change the bezel? Did I ask enough questions?
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 07:58 AM   #3
paultyler_82

Drives: 07 Meteorite Metallic Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles
OoOoH really? Pictures? Anyone have any ideas on getting it from KPH to MPH? Can you just change the bezel? Did I ask enough questions?
You could probably make a new face overlay with MPH as primary... but then your Odometer would still be displaying kilometers, DOH!
paultyler_82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 02:52 PM   #4
ChinoCharles
Banned

There has to be a chip in that cluster that is telling it whether or not to read in K or M. Maybe it can be reflashed?
Old 09-30-2006, 03:21 PM   #5
johnnyfive

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
anyone thing about a cluster from the sedan?

if you can just swapout the canadian cluster, perhaps the sedan would be as easy to change, if the us liftbacks already have tach wires upto the cluster, it me just be that simple... :)
johnnyfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 07:42 PM   #6
ECHOKnight2000
Small Car Lover

Drives: A Super Car
I believe even the sedan from the hatchback cluster is different, including wiring, just an educated guess. The Canadian hatch speedo does have the miles per hour but obviously its the smaller lettering where's the kilometers is the bigger one, in comparison the U.S. speedos have the miles per hour then the kilometers at the bottom, right? Just food for thought.
Old 09-30-2006, 08:05 PM   #7
paultyler_82

Quote:
There has to be a chip in that cluster that is telling it whether or not to read in K or M. Maybe it can be reflashed?
Maybe go over the different chips and crossreference them with data sheets, find what chips do what... but it could be that one of the microcontrollers themselves are programmed with KM in mind, in that case, you'd have to re-write the microcontroller program and reflash the controller, or if it's only a write once unit, you'll have to get a blank one, flash it with your program, and desolder the old one, put yours in place.
Old 09-30-2006, 08:07 PM   #8
paultyler_82

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECHOKnight2000
I believe even the sedan from the hatchback cluster is different, including wiring, just an educated guess. The Canadian hatch speedo does have the miles per hour but obviously its the smaller lettering where's the kilometers is the bigger one, in comparison the U.S. speedos have the miles per hour then the kilometers at the bottom, right? Just food for thought.
Yeah, that's how they're different, and you could probably make your own replacement face if you're resourceful enough, the problem is in the digital odometer, the canadian unit only displays in kilometers.
Old 09-30-2006, 11:37 PM   #9
tiksman

Well I am a Electronic tech for about 20 years now. I am going to try to swap the eeproms on the boards and see what happens. The CDN cluster works great in place of the us just the miles are in Km id does have mph in small numbers under the Km. The trip and odo are in km. Also the clock is in the same display as the odo and gas guage .
Old 10-01-2006, 12:35 AM   #10
ChinoCharles
Banned

If you find a way to reflash those eeproms with your original mileage info intact... oh man. You'd be my hero.
Old 10-01-2006, 04:54 AM   #11
johnnyfive

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
if anyone is interested, take a look at this thread: http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...highlight=tach

i posted some pics of my stripedout cluster from my sedan, and some info on it, looks to me with not ever seeing a liftback in person that it should fit, but take a look at it, the measurments, the plugs, and maybe it would fit...

and then if anyone was in southeastern wisconsin i would even be willing to throw it in for a test run, to see if it would work, for if it does i would think that a much simpler solution to the probelm...

not that it matters to me at all, for i have a tach, (and auto trans) but just trying to help out ;)
johnnyfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 07:11 AM   #12
paultyler_82

Quote:
If you find a way to reflash those eeproms with your original mileage info intact... oh man. You'd be my hero.
Yeah... problem is Eeprom and microcontroller data for an odometer are probably encrypted in some impossible fashon to protect from tampering with the milage.
Old 10-01-2006, 11:05 AM   #13
tiksman

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyfive
if anyone is interested, take a look at this thread: http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...highlight=tach

i posted some pics of my stripedout cluster from my sedan, and some info on it, looks to me with not ever seeing a liftback in person that it should fit, but take a look at it, the measurments, the plugs, and maybe it would fit...

and then if anyone was in southeastern wisconsin i would even be willing to throw it in for a test run, to see if it would work, for if it does i would think that a much simpler solution to the probelm...

not that it matters to me at all, for i have a tach, (and auto trans) but just trying to help out ;)
By the look of the sedan pics it wont work. The plug on the left side is way too big. The mounting tabs are on the bottom of the cluster on the LB on the sedan they are on the side.

The non us LB cluster works fine in the US LB only prob is miles are in KM.
And the miles follow the cluster not the car. I will work on it a little more today and post some pics.
Old 10-01-2006, 12:22 PM   #14
ChinoCharles
Banned

You know, maybe Toyota would help you out with this? I'm sure they wouldn't be too keen on a bunch of their cars running around town with faulty mileage readings... doesn't look good on their part.
Old 10-01-2006, 08:02 PM   #15
tiksman

Ok took the time for some major testing today. The Miles and odo are stores in the eeprom ic IC12. I swaped these chips and the CDN cluster's displpay went blank with its original board. I put the CDN board in my original cluster and It worked and showed my original miles. So there is a setting in this eeprom that tells what display is in the cluster. Our display is a grey lcd with about 20 pins while the CDN is 5 pins and a dark lcd panel. Cant swap the panels because the plug is fixed onto the board. I need a sedan cluster for testing now ( I have a few Ideas) or the cable and programer they use to write data to these clusters (impossible find?). I love the look of the CDN cluster but still not willing to f-up my miles.
Old 10-02-2006, 04:16 AM   #16
paultyler_82

Wow so, the chips that store the information are interchangable between the two? and it actually translates the saved settings in the Canadian EEPROM to Miles when you put it in the US unit!? That is a good thing, it means that the display controller is what handles the unit measurement, I'd bet if located, it could possibly be reprogrammed. I'm wondering why the US lcd has more pins.... on the CDN model, the clock is even handled by the display whereas it is separate on the US... I would think the CDN would have more pins, unless it's maybe got a built-in controller?
Old 10-02-2006, 10:41 AM   #17
tiksman

I am not sure why the us has more pins. Maybe the pins light up each segment in the us version but in the CDN version it changes voltages on the pins to get the display to react. The CDN chip never converted to Miles it stayed in KM but now my cluster is using the CDN sub unit and showing my MILES because I swapped the eeprom IC12. I am now looling at a way to reprogram the eeprom. I am out of ideas with the sedan cluster because there is no clock or trip counter reset. Sedan Guys where do you set the clock and reset the trip. Is the clock still in the lcd on the display??
I have seen Odometer reprogramers and the list Yaris as being compatable but none say you can program to switch to miles. If they said that I would have bought one.
Old 10-02-2006, 08:56 PM   #18
paultyler_82

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiksman
I am not sure why the us has more pins. Maybe the pins light up each segment in the us version but in the CDN version it changes voltages on the pins to get the display to react. The CDN chip never converted to Miles it stayed in KM but now my cluster is using the CDN sub unit and showing my MILES because I swapped the eeprom IC12. I am now looling at a way to reprogram the eeprom. I am out of ideas with the sedan cluster because there is no clock or trip counter reset. Sedan Guys where do you set the clock and reset the trip. Is the clock still in the lcd on the display??
I have seen Odometer reprogramers and the list Yaris as being compatable but none say you can program to switch to miles. If they said that I would have bought one.
Right, what I meant was... when you put the CDN EEPROM in the US cluster, it worked and still showed your milage... but did the number stay the same or did the US Cluster actually show the amount in miles? I.e. does it have the same number on the US cluster as it did on the CDN cluster, or did it actually convert the amount of kilometers on the chip to a proper number of miles?