Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-19-2006, 12:48 PM   #1
Bassmonkey

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan-Barcelona Red
Cool DIY Oil Change

First off I want to say that I am a very proud owner of my very first Toyota as well as my very first brand new car. After much research and time, I came to the conclusion that we really couldn't do better than a Yaris for the fuel eco. and price. I have to say, I absolutely love it.

That being said, I love to do my own work on my cars and hardly let anyone else touch them. I plan to do the same thing with my Yaris. Since I have never changed the oil on a Toyota, my only real question is the Oil Filter. I am wondering if anyone recommends a specific Oil Filter and where I can get one? Do I need to or can I purchase them at the dealer? I know with my last car (Ford Contour ) the Motorcraft filters seemed to work much better for it. Just wondering if that is the same for Toyota. Just for grins I hit my local parts store to see if they had it, but they don't even list the car yet.

Any thoughts anyone?

Thanks!!
Bassmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 10:30 PM   #2
yariman
Speed Wrenchin'

Drives: 2006 Yaris 3 door, Bayou Blue
A Quaker State QS 4967 is a decent filter. There is nothing special about a "Toyota" filter. It is made by someone else anyway.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:29 PM   #3
Bassmonkey

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan-Barcelona Red
Thanks Yariman, sorry for the dumb question. I just kinda freaked out when I went to the parts store an they didn't list my car and couldn't get me a filter. Like I said, I have never owned a brand new car before and thought it was weird to by an oil filter from the dealer. That is what I did yesterday, though. Just bought the filter from the dealer until my local parts store gets the part. I can probably use the part number now as I know the Yaris doesn't have a brand new engine design.

Now the trick is to find a filter wrench that will fit it. It's so small.

Thanks again!!
Bassmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 03:44 PM   #4
Frink

Drives: 2006 Yaris RS 5 door 5 speed
I have always done my own oil changes and my Yaris is an absolute treat... the filter is right on the bottom of the motor instead of being tucked up in the middle like my Civic. Makes for a very clean oil change.
I'll bet you can change the oil without even jacking up the car or using ramps.
They do sell smaller Filter wrenches for the small filters.
For the Oil filter, I just bought the one listed for a 2005 Echo.
As for brands, I've always stuck with Fram filters and Castrol oil.
Frink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 03:25 AM   #5
Ron

Drives: BBM Yaris HB
i always stick with oem filters. they cost maybe $1 more, and if you cut them open, they ARE constructed differently than your cheapo fram/generic filters.
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 06:52 AM   #6
jcove

Drives: 2011 Rogue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron
i always stick with oem filters. they cost maybe $1 more, and if you cut them open, they ARE constructed differently than your cheapo fram/generic filters.

I don't completely agree with you here. Like Yariman said, it's made by someone else. In the automotive industry, the only thing that the OEM's actually do any more is assemble the car, and maybe make some of the larger parts. Most of the time, companies like Magna, and others, actually make the parts for them. I don't know who exactly makes the Toyota filters....yet.... but I know it's made on a line same as anything else. There's a tool change to put a different number and label on the outside and that's it. The fact that it's constructed differently that a Cheapo filter, just means that it's a better filter manufacturer that makes it.
jcove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 01:04 PM   #7
Ron

Drives: BBM Yaris HB
i know we all like to think of service at the dealership as a ripoff, etc etc. but in this case, its a bit of a misconception. well yes, of course it is made by somebody else and rebranded as their own. a lot of inidividual components of a car are made by a 3rd party, then purchased by toyota to use on their own car. point is, if it can be spec'd as oem equipment, usually, it is more than sufficient for the job. i've read from a few different sources that the fram filters are not as good as oem, and different pieces of heresay from here and there regarding various other aftermarket brands also. sure they all work, but why risk it over 1 dollar saved by not buying an oem filter?

we dont know who makes the oem filters so we cant go out and buy the 'same' filter. if you have a good relationship with your oem parts guy, the filter will cost you the same as an aftermarket one anyways.
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 06:36 PM   #8
Leenis24
lil' town up north

Drives: 07 Yaris LB 5 speed Meteorite
I use FRAM. And Castrol motor oil. Nothing else. Im a deep believer in both.
Leenis24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 06:56 PM   #9
jdgriswald
5-Door Envy

Drives: '08 Scion xD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leenis24
I use FRAM. And Castrol motor oil. Nothing else. Im a deep believer in both.
If you haven't seen this comparison, maybe you should check it out.
http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oil...tml#conclusion
jdgriswald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 10:02 PM   #10
jay

Drives: 2006 Yaris LE 5dr AT
Picked up the OEM Toyota filter from the dealer over the wkend, and I happen to have it in front of me...

I don't know much about these things, but here's what I can see. The filter is made in Thailand and has "Denso" marked on it (so it would appear that Denso is the actual manufacturer). The Toyota part# is 90915-YZZF2. There is also a "BT115010-6410" number marked on the filter in smaller print.

Cost for this thing was CAN$7 + $0.60 for the gasket.
jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 05:17 PM   #11
AutoTech1

Drives: None yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdgriswald
If you haven't seen this comparison, maybe you should check it out.
http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oil...tml#conclusion
If you look carefully, some cost more than others, because they are made of better materials... And some of them also feature bypass valves.
AutoTech1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 01:34 PM   #12
Supa Lao

Drives: '03 Murano SL AWD
I've always used OEM filter with mobil 1 sythetic. I'll wait til I'm around 15,000 miles before I change to synthetic on the yaris
Supa Lao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 05:23 PM   #13
punch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan "D" package
http://www.denso.com.sg/tpl/pdtlineu...omponents.html

yep denso is the maker of oem oil filters...
punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 08:50 AM   #14
jutch
The Doctor is in!

Drives: Yaris sadan, Black Sand Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by yariman
A Quaker State QS 4967 is a decent filter. There is nothing special about a "Toyota" filter. It is made by someone else anyway.
Check this filter pics out from a thread in one of the Scion forums.
http://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=59333

I recently did the first oil change on my yaris and the factory filter was the90915-10003 made by Denso.

I just talked to my local Toyota dealer and they said the Yaris filter they put on is 90915-YZZF2 at $6.49 +tax. Which replaces the 90915-YZZA2.

So to break it down...
90915-10003 -> installed at the factory, not available in aftermarket

90915-YZZA2 -> used in place of the 90915-10003, Could be purchased and/or installed at your local dealer. Not available anymore (atleast by my dealer)

90915-YZZF2 -> price $6.49 +tax. This is what is currently available at the dealer. It is almost exatly the same all the ones before it, except this one comes pre-lubed. Which means you don't have to put oil in it before you install it. YES, it's made by Denso. Yes, the O-ring seal is crimped in to the filter itself. YES, the contruction is definately different than that of your other CHEAPER filters (check the link I provided).
jutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 10:17 AM   #15
07WYarisRS
HardlyDangerous

Drives: 09 Yaris LE, H/B, auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by yariman

Quaker State filters and made by FRAM
and in any tests Fram is usually at the bottom of the pile.
Old 10-02-2006, 08:49 PM   #16
gonzo452001

Drives: 3-door liftback blazing blue
oil filter

I have alway used toyota filters in my toyota's the main thing about them is the anti drain back valve keeps the oil from draining back to the oil pan over night makes the engine last longer. you can buy a case of 10 online for a lot less than most dealers
gonzo452001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 10:00 PM   #17
07WYarisRS
HardlyDangerous

Drives: 09 Yaris LE, H/B, auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo452001
I have alway used toyota filters in my toyota's the main thing about them is the anti drain back valve keeps the oil from draining back to the oil pan over night makes the engine last longer. you can buy a case of 10 online for a lot less than most dealers
Every oil filter has an anti drain back valve at least for any car since the 70's
Old 10-03-2006, 10:48 AM   #18
nsmitchell

Drives: LB-Auto-PWR-ABS-Cruise-Springs
I suggest a Napa Gold filter, they are made by Wix. http://www.napaonline.com/masterpage...+Filter+(Gold) Yarii take the same filter as the Scion xA and xB take.

Here is a good filter review from a guy that cut up a bunch of filters and examined them. http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters.html

Like 07WYarisRS said, Frams are junk. What a shame they have fooled most of the population into believing they are the best. I bet they ARE better than the quick lube "house brand" oil filters that are made of Sprite cans! Scary stuff!
nsmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote