Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-13-2013, 04:28 PM   #37
Septembersrain
♣♀Yaris'ing♀♣

Drives: 2013 Yaris 3-Door LE ~Pearl~
I have a 2004 Kia Rio. Which I have shed more tears over than I'd like to admit. Sorry, Off topic a bit maybe. Well, This time it landed in the shop for far too long. There was an enterprise close by, So I went to go rent a car. Guess what they had? Yep. A 2013 Yaris 5-door. Needless to say, I actually had a blast! Seriously.

If all goes as it's supposed to today, I'll be bringing home a brand new 2013 Yaris LE in black (3-Door)! Wish me luck folks.

I'd wanted a new car for a while so I'd test drove a lot of cars....

Ford Fiesta: Laggy, unreliable feeling little penalty box.
Ford Focus: Big, annoying instrument clusters, A ford. (LOL)
Chevy Sonic: Oh look! Motorcycle like gauges. Too bad it's a car. Oh and mediocre gas mileage on top of it.
Chevy Spark: That's.. It's.. It felt just plain dangerous.
Kia Rio: Oh, The new one was great. Too bad I test drove a used one with only 10K miles later and realized they only feel good for the first 5K miles.
Hyundai Accent: Nope, Nope.. And Nope.
Fiat 500: HAHAHAH... Oh.. Excuse me.. HAHAHAHA....
Scion iQ: .... I'm still laughing here...
Scion xD: How can you conveniently forget to put an adjustable drivers seat lever?!? *Sighs*

Anything else I test drove but didn't mention, Well it obviously wasn't memorable enough to mention. Just my two cents being tossed about.

Me and my fiancee argue about how to drive rental cars. I tell him, Just because your renting it now doesn't mean you should abuse it. Someone might buy it someday. He says, "Well that's their problem isn't it?". Oh my ethics.. *Snorts*

Last edited by Septembersrain; 05-13-2013 at 04:38 PM.
Septembersrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:41 AM   #38
Squishy

Drives: 2012 Yaris LE 4dr
Squishy is an enterprise rental, I bought it from them and was very pleased with everything about my transaction, no haggle pricing $13,500 30k mi, and well loaded LE. new body style comes with some additional warranties and road side assistance. As a former Avis rental Agent and Budget Service tech if a car was rented when it was up for maintenance I'd be written up. There is probably no better maintained cars anywhere. Plus they partnered with my credit union which gave me a special rate. If you have any additional questions I'll answer whatever you come up with regarding the purchase of Squishy.
Squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:52 PM   #39
jayeh

Drives: '08 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squishy View Post
Squishy is an enterprise rental, I bought it from them and was very pleased with everything about my transaction, no haggle pricing $13,500 30k mi, and well loaded LE. new body style comes with some additional warranties and road side assistance. As a former Avis rental Agent and Budget Service tech if a car was rented when it was up for maintenance I'd be written up. There is probably no better maintained cars anywhere. Plus they partnered with my credit union which gave me a special rate. If you have any additional questions I'll answer whatever you come up with regarding the purchase of Squishy.
My former employer used to rent from Avis. We had a hell of a time trying to get them to do an oil change when our car was due, they said just ignore the light!
Old 05-27-2013, 01:46 PM   #40
mirapatec

Drives: 2012 Yaris L, 2020 Yaris LE HB
At least your rental Yaris exposed you to a much better car. Sometimes these random acts happen.

mirapatec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 02:25 PM   #41
Septembersrain
♣♀Yaris'ing♀♣

Drives: 2013 Yaris 3-Door LE ~Pearl~
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirapatec View Post
At least your rental Yaris exposed you to a much better car. Sometimes these random acts happen.
I would of never considered the Yaris if it wasn't for having one as a rental.
Turns out it was the perfect car for me. The dealership up the street gave me a perfect price too. =D

I couldn't be happier.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:29 PM   #42
Onwrdigo

Drives: Yaris LE 4-Door
Drove a bunch of Rentals

The best way to select a new car is to rent the one's your considering to see how they have held-up after hundreds of people have driven/abused? them.

Ford Focus: Crazy transmission that always felt confused and was jerky. Could not see out the back very well either.
Fiesta: No...just no. It just felt like a blob of "cheap" plastic.
Rio5: Harsh engine when cold...sounded like marbles in the intake until it got up to operating temp...then it was ok....but that would drive me nuts in winter.
Accent: The care they take to build the Elantra and Sonata is not the same level built into the Accent.

It then came down to the Fiat 500 ( Pop or Sport) and the Toyota Yaris LE. I rented 5 Fiats and 5 Yaris Hatchbacks over a period of 3 months. I took 200 mile round trips in each of them with lots of city and highway driving.

I liked both, but in the end, it was a '12 Yaris LE Hatch that had been "badly" abused that convinced me to go Toyota. It still drove great except for the roar on the rear bald tire the agency refused to replace yet. It literally had 3 new tires and one bald one. And still drove great with hardly a rattle.

The Fiat was intriguing, but that transmissions when cold, is the harshest shifting automatic I have felt in years and there were various rattles in a few of them...never the same rattles, but each one was unique to each car (inconsistency in "build quality").....could not stand that either. Fiat blogs have shown some very interesting problems from the owners that the dealers are struggling to figure out. I think by 2015 or 2016, they will get them right, but I still have an issue with the car being shipped in parts from Italy. The engine goes to Detroit for assembly and then that is trucked to meet the rest of the car in Toluca Mexico (the old PT Cruiser Assembly Plant) to be finished. I am just not comfortable with that.

The five Yaris' I rented were consistent with each other whether they had 4000 miles or 40,000 miles. So I went Yaris. Glad I did.

And "yes", when the rental agencies sell them, they are asking just below a new car price, but they have some serious mileage on them. So I went with a new one.
Onwrdigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:05 PM   #43
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onwrdigo View Post
The best way to select a new car is to rent the one's your considering to see how they have held-up after hundreds of people have driven/abused? them.

Quote:
The five Yaris' I rented were consistent with each other whether they had 4000 miles or 40,000 miles. So I went Yaris. Glad I did.
Great that you did such an extensive test. I hope the consistent build quality continues with the French built Yaris.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:53 PM   #44
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
Some car dealers may let you take a new / used car for a day or 2 if you ask .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote