Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-23-2015, 09:04 PM   #1
BobTheYaris

Drives: '08 Yaris HB 2 dr
blueprint and balancing gains?

so since the 2nd gen Yarises have started showing up at the local u-pull-it I've been floating the idea of blueprinting and balancing a stock motor and swapping it with my original engine. has anyone done this? what kind of gains might I get if I fo this and port the head? I'd like to gain another few horses if possible but would rather not get into swapping or the cost of forced induction.
BobTheYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 08:27 AM   #2
LTHatch

Drives: 2013 Yaris Hatchback L
There will be a gain just from refreshing a second motor( especially if the current 1nz has high miles) not so much from balancing. If you're considering getting a second 1nz, refresh with and add some prius 13.1 pistons in it then balance it. I believe a menber here from PR mentioned his prius pistons netter him over 10whp gain on his yaris.

For 50$ brand new each, the piston swap is probably the best bang for your back internally you can do.
LTHatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 10:45 AM   #3
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

Drives: light blue liftback
The gains are pretty non existent, in fact the higher the mileage the more likely the engine is loose, and therefore easier to spin. If the bore is in spec, there will be no gains from replacing the rings or pistons.
You'll get more out of doing head work, like a 3 angle valve job and decking the head, then you will out of anything on the bottom end.
Old 11-16-2015, 10:22 PM   #4
SirDigby

Drives: 2007 yaris 3 door
the better option would be to pull the engine/ecu from a scion xd. it bolts right in and you will gain 30hp. you can use your blueprint money for a sweet exhaust system.
SirDigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 11:24 AM   #5
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
What is different with the Prius pistons that causes a gain in hp? Is that just with Prius pistons or also rods?
Old 11-30-2015, 12:17 PM   #6
invader166
Pumpman

Drives: 2019 Kia Soul EV Base
^ The Prius pistons are forged units to allow for a higher compression ratio. 13:1 I believe, as compared to 10.5:1 for the Yaris.
Old 11-30-2015, 12:46 PM   #7
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
would the Prius pistons automatically increase compression in the 1nz enigne or does it require other modications to increase the compression? With a 13:1 you'd need to run premium fuel but to take advantage of that would you not have to re map the Yaris ECU?
Old 11-30-2015, 01:52 PM   #8
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

Drives: That Scrappy 2zrVios
You will need a tune with a piggyback ecu or standalone ems to run higher compression....Im not even sure if you can run 91octane safely
ArmstrongRacing is offline   Reply With Quote