Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-30-2009, 11:27 PM   #1
karat747

Drives: 2013 Camry
Rattle noise in the trunk - Pls help!

Hey there, I own 2008 Yaris sedan. Im pretty happy with this car, however I think Toyota could do much better job about quality of the interior materials; the dashboard plastic looks and feels so cheap, same with the choice of the seats’ fabric… Anyway, my problem is annoying random rattle noise in the trunk… I can’t locate a source of this noise. Ive checked/ secured the locks-opening cables (for trunk & fuel) but the noise still can be heard. It drives me crazy. Has anyone experienced something like that. What it can be? Guys, please help.
karat747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 11:37 PM   #2
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Trunk Monkey?
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 12:01 AM   #3
karat747

The license plate has been secured well. The noise doesnt come from there. Hmm, it must be that Trunk Monkey, LOL, LOL... Im going to strangle that nasty animal right now! No mercy!!
Old 08-31-2009, 01:36 AM   #4
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
hi, first off you need to change your mind-set on this car. it's an economy car, not a BMW with optional handjob assistant and seat warmers. you pay under 20k and get what you should (at least in this economy) for paying under 20k

^^^^NOT TRYING TO TYPE ANGRILY EITHER JUST OFFERING PERSPECTIVE

secondly, have you checked the striker plate for the trunk latch? ours 'shifted' after getting rear-ended and would let the latch essentially float and it made a horrible click over every bump.

thirdly, check to make sure there are no nuts/bolts loose in the spare tire compartment, and that everything is secured down there. the tools are metal and will clunk/clank around.

fourth, check the trunk seal areas, and the area behind the seats (that crevice where loose change and small children go too)

thats all for now....will wait for an update
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 01:58 AM   #5
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
This may help: http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10047

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 10:03 AM   #6
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

Rattlesnake in the trunk?
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 10:31 AM   #7
karat747

Hey Guys, thanks for all your feedbacks. Ive been impressed how helpful and responsive the YarisWorld community can be:) I just registered yesterday & it was my first post. Once again, thanks! I’ll follow up on you advises. Cheers!
Old 09-07-2009, 10:48 AM   #8
karat747

Hey there, Ive checked out all the above... but no luck in fixing the noise problem. Im still experiencing that very annoying remote rattle noise in the back of the car. Its difficult to pinpoint exactly where the little noise comes from... Now it sounds like something got loose under the rear speaker’s plastic cover (a screw/ wire?). Im wondering how can I remove the plastic cover to find out whats going on there…

In fact, Im also thinking right now, that the rattle might come eventually from the rear brake's light which is located between the two speakers. How can I remove that light’s plastic cover to check out whether everything is ok there?

Many thanks in advance for any advices guys.
Old 09-07-2009, 12:21 PM   #9
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
if u have the 2 bars that assist in opening the trunk the zip tie or 'bushing' that holds them together could have come loose. my mustang had rub marks on it where the bars twisted together. they rubbed and over every bump they would rattle.
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 12:39 PM   #10
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
I'm 90% sure its a loose clip in the platform where the back speakers are, right behind the back seats. When I had my 6x9s changed out, the stereo shop didn't put a clip back in, and the center brake light was rattling off the back window.

page 144 and 145 of this pdf show how the middle brake light is attached

http://www.etimago.com/yaris/repairmanual/Lighting.pdf

I'm still looking for how the platform is attached, if I don't find it though, you can check the whole manual too :P

http://www.etimago.com/yaris/repairmanual/

Last edited by supmet; 09-07-2009 at 12:52 PM.
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 08:31 PM   #11
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Drives: C300 / Del Sol
Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
better in the trunk that under the hood
JumpmanYaris is offline   Reply With Quote