Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-14-2015, 01:26 PM   #1
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
performance clutch/flywheel

This summer I'll be installing a lightweight flywheel and aftermarket clutch on my Yaris once I teach my fiancee how to drive stick. I've done a lot of searching on this forum but I want to get some input on those that have installed a clutch and or flywheel and have some knowledge about the various option you can go with.

I don't plan on auto xing my car in the next couple years, I do a lot of highway commuting and spirited back road driving with redlining it a couple times a week with a few good pulls each week. Other than that it is driven conservatively and about 120-130km/h on the highway when traffic permits.

My question is:

What is a good lightweight flywheel that is not crazy expensive but still offers a big benefit in comparison to the anvil like oem one?

What is a better performing aftermarket clutch that has a good feel/engagement but is not top of the line expensive/race worthy?

I do not need a stage 3 clutch that can handle a 200 whp tourbo'd Yaris nor do I need the absolute lightest aluminum flywheel. I just want something that performs a good amount better than oem and that is fairly mid to low range in price. American sites are fine as I have an American PO box.

Thanks guys
Old 10-15-2015, 12:55 PM   #2
tmontague

bumpity bump bump...someone has to have something to say about after market clutches/flywheel.

So far I've come up with the exedy clutch pro-kit which is essentially an oem alternative. Likely much better and smoother than the stock Yota one, but not much extra clamping force. Not that I really need it as I'm sitting just above stock WHP and I don't have any plans of turboing in the near future
Old 10-15-2015, 02:55 PM   #3
invader166
Pumpman

Drives: 2019 Kia Soul EV Base
Not sure a light-weight flywheel would be all that beneficial based on the driving conditions you described.

If the most driving you to is on the highway, then you'll likely see a drop in fuel economy with a light-weight flywheel. You'd only really see an improvement with one if you were doing a lot of stop-and-go driving.

If you care more about saving fuel, then stick with the OEM flywheel. If not, Fidanza make the lightest flywheel around based on their stats. Microimage also used to sell CCM flywheels, which were slightly heavier then the Fidanza ones, but still just as good.
Old 10-15-2015, 03:14 PM   #4
tmontague

Thanks for the input. I'm interested in the flywheel for much improved acceleration. Most of my highway driving is between 80-100km/h due to traffic and occasional stop/go.

I don't mind a small drop in fuel economy if the acceleration is greatly improved and the Yaris becomes that much more fun to drive. From what i've read online, a lightweight fw can make acceleration much better from oem which would be a big plus

Do you have any thoughts on a clutch?
Old 10-15-2015, 06:06 PM   #5
Rigaud

Drives: 2009 Yaris
Exedy Stage 1 clutch and pressure plate is the best bang for your $$$$ on this car. As for the light weight flywheel..............don't bother unless your car is set up for track use. You'll have a b*tch of a time in traffic and the conditions you describe.

2009 Toyota Yaris (Little toy)
2002 Audi A4 Avant Quattro 3.0L (Big boy toy)
1998 Subaru Legacy GT 2.5 (winter & DD)
Rigaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 06:17 PM   #6
Jason@SportsCar

Drives: 2015 H Production Yaris
Good budget option: http://competitionclutch.com/csindex...flywheels-info
Old 10-15-2015, 06:40 PM   #7
Rigaud

Drives: 2009 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@SportsCar View Post
Interested on your thoughts for a light weight flywheel just for street use Jason.

Cheers

2009 Toyota Yaris (Little toy)
2002 Audi A4 Avant Quattro 3.0L (Big boy toy)
1998 Subaru Legacy GT 2.5 (winter & DD)
Rigaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 06:49 PM   #8
Jason@SportsCar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigaud View Post
Interested on your thoughts for a light weight flywheel just for street use Jason.

Cheers
None of the off the shelf stuff is light enough to cause an issue. Really the clutch will make more difference on the street.

On my race engine I have a custom OS Giken floating single plate clutch, very light, very smooth, but tons of pedal effort.

On my primary engine I have the lightest CC flywheel with 4-puck solid hub clutch. Pedal effort feels like stock, but with the solid hub it is super grabby and chatters.

If you go with a light flywheel, but use a sprung hub street style clutch (level 1 or 2 type clutch) it will drive like a stock car.
Old 10-15-2015, 08:18 PM   #9
tmontague

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader166 View Post
Not sure a light-weight flywheel would be all that beneficial based on the driving conditions you described.

If the most driving you to is on the highway, then you'll likely see a drop in fuel economy with a light-weight flywheel. You'd only really see an improvement with one if you were doing a lot of stop-and-go driving.

If you care more about saving fuel, then stick with the OEM flywheel. If not, Fidanza make the lightest flywheel around based on their stats. Microimage also used to sell CCM flywheels, which were slightly heavier then the Fidanza ones, but still just as good.
this is the only thing holding me back from commiting...I've heard most people who have them say they're fine in traffic, but then I hear the odd person state that it will be brutal in traffic.

Jason, how do you find the lightweight FW on your non race engine in day to day driving? I'll be paring it up with a spring pressure plate stage 1 clutch
something like this onehttp://www.ebay.com/itm/EXEDY-CLUTCH...3b468e&vxp=mtr
Old 10-15-2015, 10:40 PM   #10
Jason@SportsCar

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post

Jason, how do you find the lightweight FW on your non race engine in day to day driving? I'll be paring it up with a spring pressure plate stage 1 clutch
something like this onehttp://www.ebay.com/itm/EXEDY-CLUTCH...3b468e&vxp=mtr
It's a racecar, its never been on the street. I have driven a lot of cars with lightened flywheels, have yet to see that cause an issue with driveability. 99% of the time the issue is the user went with a to aggressive clutch. You are maybe going to reduce weight by 30% with a street setup, as long as you don't use a clutch setup that is an on/off switch (or solid hub) you won't harldy notice a difference.

Keep in mind you are not buying a clutch for a 911, even the best stuff out there for a Yaris is still street stuff.
Old 10-15-2015, 11:19 PM   #11
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
The stage 3 clutch I just put in does a good job holding on to the extra 50 HP from the supercharger, but the pedal feel is more than I would want if I did primarily city driving or no AutoX. Check out the stage 1 from South Bend Clutch for a decent priced OEM replacement.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 06:26 AM   #12
KTS

Drives: Vitz RS
I have a fidanza flywheel, an ACT 6 puck sprung clutch disc with the TRD 4age pressure plate on my street driven Vitz RS. I have no complaints. The pedal feel is a bit firmer than stock but not excessive for stop and go traffic, the engagement point is a bit sudden and aggressive but I am still able to release the clutch below 1000rpm with out shutter. I like the setup but then again I disliked a soft clutch pedal so I maybe biased
KTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 09:02 AM   #13
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@SportsCar View Post
It's a racecar, its never been on the street. I have driven a lot of cars with lightened flywheels, have yet to see that cause an issue with driveability. 99% of the time the issue is the user went with a to aggressive clutch. You are maybe going to reduce weight by 30% with a street setup, as long as you don't use a clutch setup that is an on/off switch (or solid hub) you won't harldy notice a difference.

Keep in mind you are not buying a clutch for a 911, even the best stuff out there for a Yaris is still street stuff.
Just for reference, I run the Fidanza Flywheel on my Echo. It's 8lbs. The stock flywheel weighs a mammoth 18lbs making it a little less than half the weight. It's also paired with a 2ZZ-GE clutch and PP and still drives like stock. Only difference is slightly more pedal effort.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 11:39 AM   #14
tmontague

Thanks for all of the input guys, it helps me make a solid decision.

After a lot of reading last night including about 3 hours of yaris turbo builds, I've made up my mind to keep my yaris NA to keep it's reliability as a DD and keep costs a bit lower.

I'll be installing a Competition clutch flywheel with an improved (name brand) oem spring clutch or stage 1 if I can find a good one for a good cost. To be honest since I have yet to own a turbo car the Yaris is more than I need, especially since I ported the intake manifold and paired that with the 1ZZ TB.

I'll be still putting money into it to do other more minor mod's but eventually I'd like to purchase a WRX as a hobby/track car and keep my yaris as a reliable and fun 20 year car. Turbo'ing the Yaris doesn't make financial sense to me and it will ruin the reliability of keeping it NA.

I'm thinking with a LFW and better clutch it should be more than enough fun and power for me. It still puts a smile on my face when I do some redline pulls or hit corners hard with no body roll and I know I can still depend on it.
Old 11-17-2015, 10:45 PM   #15
SirDigby

Drives: 2007 yaris 3 door
I burnt through a lot of clutches with my previous cars, so here's my input: I like a super lightweight flywheel. I buy the lightest, cheapest name-brand I can find, usually ACT or CC. an important thing to remember is that the starter makes contact with the outer ring, so it's highly recommended that it has a steel toothed ring on the outside for longevity. another thing to remember is that because maximum amount of material has been removed to save weight, the flywheel can only be serviced a super low number of times before it has to be replaced, usually only 2 or 3 times. it's also highly advised you have the NEW flywheel resurfaced before installing, as they are usually stored improperly and can incur slight warpage. (this also applies to brake rotors)
SirDigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 10:55 PM   #16
SirDigby

Drives: 2007 yaris 3 door
as for clutches: I've used ACT, Exedy, Computation Clutch, Centerforce, Luk, Spec, clutchmasters.
they all were different in better/worse ways. I think my favorite one was the Centerforce, followed closely by the Spec. The Act was good too. the CC, CM, and Exedy were ok. I do not recommend the Luk, yuck!
SirDigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 09:14 AM   #17
tmontague

Thanks Sir, appreciate the input. I'll be going with the CC flywheel as it's cheaper than the Fidanza by a bit but not a no name cheapie.

As for the clutch Exedy OEM is what I had in mind since their stage 1 is a huge price jump. That being said i'm going to look into the other companies you mentioned an check their prices.

I wouldn't want anything above a stage 1 as I'm not boosted and I don't want a rough hard to press clutch feel. A little stiffer than stock is fine but not crazy stiff