Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-11-2013, 09:57 PM   #1
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
DIY - Exterior lights on when doors are remotely unlocked

The dome light on the Yaris comes on when the doors are unlocked, so using a relay one can drive the headlights, parking lights or fog lights from the dome light feed, so that they illuminate when remotely unlocking the car.

Note that since the dome also comes on when simply opening the door, the exterior lights connected using this DIY will come on when opening the doors as well.

Materials required:

1. Automotive type relay
2. Relay socket or 5x 1/4" female spade terminals (and wire)
3. 4x 24-18 AWG tap splices
4. 1x 1/4" ring terminal

In the picture below, the top relay is shown with a relay socket and the bottom relay is shown with 1/4" female spade terminals.

Relays.jpg

The terminals on a "standard" automotive relay are labeled as 85, 86, 87, 87A, and 30.

For 2006-2011 Yaris:

Relay pin 85: Connect to Light Blue wire on dome light connector (in the first picture)
Relay pin 86: Connect to Pink wire on dome light connector (in the first picture)

Headlights on when unlocking:
Relay pin 30: Connect to the light blue wire, next to the pink wire
Relay pin 87: Connect to the white/black wire, next to the light blue wire

Parking lights on when unlocking:
Relay pin 30: Connect to the white wire in position 13 (in the second picture)
Relay pin 87: Connect to the wire three wires over to the right from the position 13 wire. It will either be white/black or green.

Fog Lights on when unlocking:
Relay pin 30: Connect to chassis ground (easiest way is using a ring terminal installed under a bolt that goes into the metal of the dashboard support frame).
Relay pin 87: Connect to the Yellow wire on the headlight switch connector. (in the second picture)

For 2012-2013 Yaris:

This is the body ECU, under the left side of the dash. The connector on the top right is D143. The connector on the top left is 3D and the one of the bottom right is 3C. Connectors 3A and 3B are on the back side of that white plastic box.

This is the headlight switch connector (D106):

Relay pin 85: Connect to Sky Blue wire in pin 5 of connector 3A

Relay pin 86: Connect to Black wire in pin 6 of connector 3B

Headlights on when unlocking:
Relay pin 30: Connect to the wire in pin 20 of the headlight switch connector (in the picture above it is the green wire on the top right, but the color can be green black or light blue)
Relay pin 87: Connect to the white/black wire in pin 12 of the headlight switch connector (in the picture above it is to the right of the red wire)

Parking lights on when unlocking:
Relay pin 30: Connect to the sky blue wire in pin 18 of the headlight switch connector (in the picture above it is to the left of the green wire on the top right)
Relay pin 87: Connect to the white/black wire in pin 12 of the headlight switch connector (in the picture above it is to the right of the red wire)

On the 2012-2013, the fog light wiring is not accessible to allow them to be wired to be on with the ignition off.

Last edited by CTScott; 06-17-2013 at 10:38 AM. Reason: fixed typos
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:45 PM   #2
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
I'm not sure where you find the time for this stuff, but it's great to have!

The first attachment seems to be broken though...
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:48 PM   #3
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
I'm not sure where you find the time for this stuff, but it's great to have!

The first attachment seems to be broken though...
Fixed - Thanks.
Old 06-13-2013, 04:22 PM   #4
skoya

Drives: Yaris 1.0L
Great!!!

But I'm not sure is that the same wire colour for the parking lights on the second picture with the european models.
skoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:51 PM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoya View Post
Great!!!

But I'm not sure is that the same wire colour for the parking lights on the second picture with the european models.
You are correct - The European Yaris does have some different colors for some of the wiring.
Old 06-14-2013, 05:24 PM   #6
skoya

Drives: Yaris 1.0L
Can you find out which colour is for the parking lights,cause I want to switch it from headlights.
skoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 05:42 PM   #7
jcboy

Drives: Sedan 07
Scott, if I were in CT and you were a lady, i wouldve kissed you for this. LOL

Seriously, great writeup! i'm so doing this. :)

T H A N K Y O U :D

curious question though, (since im doing the parklights), this shouldnt cause any issues with the way the parklights work right now or anything else for that matter, should it?

thanks again.
jcboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:20 PM   #8
toy_toronto
always toyin'

Drives: 2010 5-Dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcboy View Post
curious question though, (since im doing the parklights), this shouldnt cause any issues with the way the parklights work right now or anything else for that matter, should it?

thanks again.

This is like asking Chef Ramsay if he knows how to prepare a Risotto ...

My Garage.. 'Mild' Drop & Misc..2-DIN GPS/Navi..DIY:Rear Wiper Delay..Ramps/Roll-Ups..Rain Sensing Wipers / Auto-Headlamps
toy_toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:03 AM   #9
jcboy

Correction scott, you got a typo.

For parklights pins 13 and 10 should be relay 30 and 87,respectively.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:04 AM   #10
jcboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by toy_toronto View Post
This is like asking Chef Ramsay if he knows how to prepare a Risotto ...
Good point. I was just thinking out loud lol
Old 06-17-2013, 10:42 AM   #11
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoya View Post
Can you find out which colour is for the parking lights,cause I want to switch it from headlights.
For your European Yaris, it will actually be the same as for the US Yaris. I had a typo in that section for the 2006-2011, which is now fixed.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:26 PM   #12
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Just out of curiosity and looking into the future (IDK, this may be an eye roller of a question re lameness --- I don't have power locks nor keyless entry on my Yaris), would the setting on the dome light have any effect on the lights controlled by this DIY? In other words, would setting the dome light to off (one of the 3 settings on the 1st gen USDM Yaris) keep the dome light (and the lights related to it re the DIY) off when utilizing the keyless entry?
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:55 PM   #13
jcboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
Just out of curiosity and looking into the future (IDK, this may be an eye roller of a question re lameness --- I don't have power locks nor keyless entry on my Yaris), would the setting on the dome light have any effect on the lights controlled by this DIY? In other words, would setting the dome light to off (one of the 3 settings on the 1st gen USDM Yaris) keep the dome light (and the lights related to it re the DIY) off when utilizing the keyless entry?
no it doesnt, as the switch on the domelight doesnt affect the current passing through the pink/blue wires in the underdash junction box. this switch only affects whether or not to use that electricity to turn the domelights on.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:48 AM   #14
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
no it doesnt, as the switch on the domelight doesnt affect the current passing through the pink/blue wires in the underdash junction box. this switch only affects whether or not to use that electricity to turn the domelights on.
Thanks.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:02 PM   #15
jcboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
Thanks.
glad to help. TBH, i actually did it, partly because I was curious about the same thing you asked. the only part I don't like now is that it also activates when you open the door, say, someone gets off the car, since it is connected to the domelights, rather than the alarm signal itself.

hi Scott, anyway we can tap it to the TVSS module instead, so that this process of activating the parklights/headlights/FLs doesnt get triggered by the door?
Old 06-18-2013, 03:37 PM   #16
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
glad to help. TBH, i actually did it, partly because I was curious about the same thing you asked. the only part I don't like now is that it also activates when you open the door, say, someone gets off the car, since it is connected to the domelights, rather than the alarm signal itself.

hi Scott, anyway we can tap it to the TVSS module instead, so that this process of activating the parklights/headlights/FLs doesnt get triggered by the door?
If you have the TVSS (security system) you could do so, but most Yaris over here do not.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:10 PM   #17
yours_falsely

Drives: 2008 Yaris sedan
Inversely, what would one have to do in order to have the headlights turn off when the car is locked?
yours_falsely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:14 PM   #18
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by yours_falsely View Post
Inversely, what would one have to do in order to have the headlights turn off when the car is locked?

My headlights off with the ignition DIY is the easiest way to get close to that:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14427