Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 03-23-2010, 11:41 AM   #1
zachryboles
Chunk love Yarii

Drives: 2008 Silver 3DR Yaris Liftback
Talking oh man the choices

so.... here is where we are at..... im going to be installing new tanabe springs and an injen CAI this weekend.... Looking at getting tanabe exhaust. Wondering what the heck all these bracing bars do since there are soooooooooo many different ones...
http://shop.microimageonline.com/Bracing-Bars_c22.htm

im wanting to join up with autoX and would like to do everything possible for little Yarii to increase performance but i dont quite understand the best configuration for these types of parts with an 08 HB. Again im learning so be gentle. Explanation of each individual type of install such as strut bars and sway bars and which ones can be installed together and which will null each other out (like going to a superchager and needing to now sell your CAI). And the others like underbraces and whatnot
zachryboles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 12:36 PM   #2
schleppy
I love momentum.

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB, Red
Send a message via AIM to schleppy
Generally, most of the braces don't do much in terms of real-world handling. Some of them work better than others, but they really don't do THAT much.

If you want the most bang for you buck, start with a TRD (or similar) rear sway bar. Besides springs+shocks, that makes the biggest difference in the way the car handles. Well worth the money.

If you don't want to do uprated springs+shocks get yourself a good set of tires instead of bracing. Sticky tires make a WORLD of difference.

Also keep in mind that any modifications you make to your car could put you in different auto-x classes. Something to keep in mind.

I'm sure other more experience folks will chime in...
schleppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 12:38 PM   #3
zachryboles
Chunk love Yarii

well thats where im confused im going to go look at my tire size again but im about to drop with tanabes and im using the toyota 15" alloys atm which i will keep for now.... but i have no clue what tires to get either and those need to be changed soon from the previous owner......
Old 03-23-2010, 12:40 PM   #4
H3LlIoN

Drives: '09 Yarrrr hatch
Well, barring the more technical answers concerning fine tuning a suspension, you can use as many or as few as you like. Sway bars and strut bars are designed to reduce body roll and keep the wheels planted in turns, whereas body braces are designed to stiffen up the body and again, reduce body roll and general sloppiness. You will probably get some more specific answers in the auto-x forum as to what people are successfully running in a track situation, but best to plan on spending money on a coilover setup if you haven't already, it's going to offer the best bang for your buck. Look for one that has height and dampening adjustments, as this will allow you to fine tune @ the track depending on the conditions. Plan on spending somewhere between $1000 and $2000 depending on which brand, plus install if you can't do it yourself. Good luck, have fun.

Special thanks to Cali Yaris, 1NZYaris1 and lilredrocket
H3LlIoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 12:41 PM   #5
H3LlIoN

He responded while I was typing...in response,

Quote:
Originally Posted by schleppy View Post
Besides springs+shocks...
If you are planning on seriously racing this car, don't even bother with springs and shocks, go straight coilovers instead.

Old 03-23-2010, 12:47 PM   #6
zachryboles
Chunk love Yarii

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3LlIoN View Post
Well, barring the more technical answers concerning fine tuning a suspension, you can use as many or as few as you like. Sway bars and strut bars are designed to reduce body roll and keep the wheels planted in turns, whereas body braces are designed to stiffen up the body and again, reduce body roll and general sloppiness. You will probably get some more specific answers in the auto-x forum as to what people are successfully running in a track situation, but best to plan on spending money on a coilover setup if you haven't already, it's going to offer the best bang for your buck. Look for one that has height and dampening adjustments, as this will allow you to fine tune @ the track depending on the conditions. Plan on spending somewhere between $1000 and $2000 depending on which brand, plus install if you can't do it yourself. Good luck, have fun.
yah..... im not looking to drop that much yet unless im really getting into autoX
Old 03-23-2010, 12:48 PM   #7
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
any brace that triangulates on the car when the stock setup didn't, will not be legal in any class you want to be in (FSP or ST or HS)

go read the suspension guide ;)
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 06:07 PM   #8
H3LlIoN

If they will let you, skip the bracing, slap a sway bar and a $800 set of megans on there, and go racing. I think dude even has a lightly used set for $600CAD, which is like $550 US in the FS forum right now.

If you've ever driven down the road and seen some ricer in a slammed whip that hits a bump in the road and the car starts bouncing back and forth as his teeth are being jarred, that's what happens with springs/struts, at least the lowest setups. Coilovers offer a much better ride (they come stock on things like Porsches, BMWs, Ferraris, Astons, etc) and you will have the adjust-ability to raise and lower the car as you see fit, again, allowing you to dial in for the specific conditions you are racing. The $2000 is the high end, should you choose the Silks or KW's, but Megans/Teins/3rd one escapes me, are all right about $800-$1200, and a relatively easy to install. If not, round up some gearhead friends that like to drink. You'd be surprised at how much work your friends will do whilst you stand around and drink beer with them and shoot the shit, all you have to do is supply the booze.

Old 03-23-2010, 06:07 PM   #9
H3LlIoN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
go read the suspension guide ;)

QFT

Old 03-23-2010, 07:48 PM   #10
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3LlIoN View Post
If they will let you, skip the bracing, slap a sway bar and a $800 set of megans on there, and go racing. I think dude even has a lightly used set for $600CAD, which is like $550 US in the FS forum right now.

If you've ever driven down the road and seen some ricer in a slammed whip that hits a bump in the road and the car starts bouncing back and forth as his teeth are being jarred, that's what happens with springs/struts, at least the lowest setups. Coilovers offer a much better ride (they come stock on things like Porsches, BMWs, Ferraris, Astons, etc) and you will have the adjust-ability to raise and lower the car as you see fit, again, allowing you to dial in for the specific conditions you are racing. The $2000 is the high end, should you choose the Silks or KW's, but Megans/Teins/3rd one escapes me, are all right about $800-$1200, and a relatively easy to install. If not, round up some gearhead friends that like to drink. You'd be surprised at how much work your friends will do whilst you stand around and drink beer with them and shoot the shit, all you have to do is supply the booze.
tokico blues and some stiff lowering springs will out valve the generic CRAP coilovers every day of the week. Tein/Ksport/Megan/D2.. it's all generic crap.

just wait til Koni gets y'all an insert! oh man, you guys are gonna be in heaven!
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:32 PM   #11
AdeJong 03
"Stealth Runner"

Drives: 2009 Yaris-S Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
tokico blues and some stiff lowering springs will out valve the generic CRAP coilovers every day of the week. Tein/Ksport/Megan/D2.. it's all generic crap.

just wait til Koni gets y'all an insert! oh man, you guys are gonna be in heaven!
is that actually happening? cuz Ive been wanting koni yellows for my car FOREVER- and Im ready to get them as soon as theyre available
AdeJong 03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 08:47 PM   #12
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdeJong 03 View Post
is that actually happening? cuz Ive been wanting koni yellows for my car FOREVER- and Im ready to get them as soon as theyre available
last i heard from Gordon, it's a NO. but a little pressure from actual owners might help Koni do it *cough cough*
you nailed it sir.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:02 AM   #13
zachryboles
Chunk love Yarii

who do we complain to? lets get together and see if anyone else wants to get in on this.... i would send in to get these
Old 03-24-2010, 12:41 PM   #14
seth_man

Drives: 08 Liftback
dont be lazy, get some work done. ive been running konis for over a year now.
seth_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 12:43 PM   #15
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by seth_man View Post
dont be lazy, get some work done. ive been running konis for over a year now.
share how you did it please, the community would appreciate it :)
you nailed it sir.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:48 PM   #16
zachryboles
Chunk love Yarii

yah cause if it wasnt that bad id go buy some yellows QUICK
Old 03-24-2010, 01:14 PM   #17
seth_man

Drives: 08 Liftback
ford focus rear shocks, wrx front inserts in megan tubes or you could fab up your own tubes
seth_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 01:25 PM   #18
zachryboles
Chunk love Yarii

care to show us how its done? DIY for this would rule