Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-31-2010, 07:42 PM   #1
hachi-roku_fan

Drives: 1986 Toyota Corolla
Pinging noise coming from the front right

So my gfs Yaris started to make this pinging noise that comes from the front right wheel well. I took a look to see if anything was loose, everything looked nice and tight. But it still sounds like a metal on metal, hitting the dust shield. I took it in and they gave me some BS that since I didn't buy it there, I would have to go through an inspection, if it turned out that impact related, which it isn't, I would have to pay $99. If its under warranty, they'd take care of it. Has anyone else experienced this type of service? I was even ok with that, and the attendant was like "Oh but we can't do it til the New Year." with a horrible attitude. This was in Hollywood Toyota. I think I'm going to call Corporate. Has anyone had anything like this happen? If so, what was the issue?
hachi-roku_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 11:38 PM   #2
swidd

Drives: Yaris HB
$99 for an inspection is a rip-off to say the least. Around here any inspection, be it pre-buy, annual state or research of a particular issue is $40 at the stealership.

Could it be the plastic cover on the side of the mirrors, or interior clips?
swidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 10:27 PM   #3
hachi-roku_fan

No, its definitely coming from the wheel arches, Ive experienced both inside and outside of the car as its being pulled up. I grabbed my ratchet, and starting tapping very softly, to see if I could replicate the sound, and I swear it sounds like something is in the dust shield. Thanks for the reply though
Old 01-24-2011, 04:41 PM   #4
hachi-roku_fan

BUMP from the dead. Looks like we scheduled an appointment with a cool person at Toyota of Hollywood. He checked out the car and it turned out it was a rock stuck between the brake dust shield and the caliper causing the noise. He said they couldnt figure it out until they began to remove the dust shield and it just fell out lol. I asked a sales guy if they had any white 5 speed Yari while I was there, none in the region :( Looks like I might have to settle for a different color

EDIT: Best part of it, is that he was cool enough to do it all for free of charge. If anyone wants to know who is his, PM me, I don't want to put this guys info out there.