Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-15-2021, 09:49 AM   #1
Dec24th

Drives: '10 Yaris 3 door HB
Belt Help

Hi YW!
A very audible screeching noise happens when I turn on my car.
I can hear it while my Yaris is running idle until I start driving, though it lingers for a bit when I start.

Is that the timing belt or some other belt?
Can I change that on my own?
Thanks in advance!!
2010 Yaris Hatchback!
Old 06-15-2021, 10:43 AM   #2
Neinris

Drives: 08 Yaris 3 Door Hatchback
https://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sh...lt+replacement

CTScott's post #8 had me cracking up!!!
Neinris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 11:42 AM   #3
Leegamer

Drives: No longer own a yaris :(
Just be carerful, there's a sensor right next to where you'd put your prybar, can't remember which one...bust just make sure you're not pushing on that with the bar.
Old 06-17-2021, 06:12 PM   #4
ohms

Drives: 07 yaris 3door
ive experienced the squeeling belt on my yaris since we bought it brand new in 07 i think. and ive tried all brands of belts, all levels of tightness of the belt, and this guys video i stumbled across one day last year finally got my yaris to be quiet again. https://youtu.be/HRrVMtyIqIY

basically, before turning on the engine by turning the key all the way, just turn it until your dash lights turn on and let it sit like that for like 30 seconds. then turn the key the last click to make the engine start, and you should be squeak free
ohms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 05:32 PM   #5
mirageman

Drives: 2009 yaris
Change your belt. Don't let that squealing go on. I had a squeak and sometimes a few seconds of squealing every time I started mine winter of 2019-2020 and then it stopped on its own. It started again this past winter and I ignored it again. Just over a month or so ago it started squealing again and I ignored it since it always settled down in a couple of seconds. Back in June, I was driving on the Garden State Parkway at like midnight and I heard and felt a sputter and my battery light came on. I knew right away the belt must have broken. I continued driving while thinking, and like 10 seconds later, my RED coolant light came on. First time I ever saw that light. OH FUDGE! That belt also drives the waterpump in my 2009 Yaris. I pulled over and confirmed a broken belt. I stayed on the side of the road with my hood open to cool the engine down for a half hour or so while I looked for the nearest auto parts store (I didn't want to pay to get towed). It was like 8 miles away thank goodness. I drove and the red light came on again after like two miles. I did a neutral key off every downhill I could to roll without the engine running (manual transmissions rule!) and parked. I had to sleep there in the parking lot until they opened some 7 hours later. Autozone is awesome, they'll loan you tools and I did this in their parking lot. Do yourself a favor, for 16 bucks, change the belt. It is not as easy as it looks, there isn't much room and you would want to do it at home instead of by necessity in some run down area.
mirageman is offline   Reply With Quote