Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 11-26-2015, 01:44 PM   #1
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
sport strut/shocks options

Does anyone know of the available shock/strut option for our Yaris?

I know Tokiko Blues are no longer made and their are a handful of Coilovers for the Yaris (Megan EZ street and Teine Basis being the least costly it seems)

TRD has sport versions but their price is astronomical.
But what about KYB Excel G's? I've read on various forums on line that they are just another variation of the OEM versions. I've also heard that TRD's are just rebadged KYB's?

Does anyone have any experience w/ KYB's or know of any other options?
Old 11-28-2015, 02:54 PM   #2
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
My TRD dampers are manufactured by KYB with KYB stamped right on their body. They are however valved to TRD spec with much higher damping rates than OEM spec.
KYB Excel G dampers may be a new name for their GR2's of the past which were advertised as OE replacement spec. I used GR2's along with Eibach ProKit springs in my '95 Talon. The combo worked well with a much more "comfortable" ride than the TRD package in my Yaris.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.

Last edited by MUSKOKA800; 11-28-2015 at 03:06 PM.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 10:22 PM   #3
Exiwolfman

Drives: 2007 Yaris
KYB and Tein springs for last 50k ( combination of sprtline springs and now on Teins )
I find they are priced well and work with out any issues.
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 05:28 AM   #4
tmontague

Did you notice if the KYB were stiffer than the oem's?
Old 11-30-2015, 12:07 PM   #5
Exiwolfman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
Did you notice if the KYB were stiffer than the oem's?
Yes...but nothing crazy definitely better than stock and can take the abuse of lowering springs , just make sure to cut ur bump stops .
Over all they work great
Old 11-30-2015, 12:10 PM   #6
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiwolfman View Post
...and can take the abuse of lowering springs
Based on posts in this thread, KYB became my choice for replacement of the stock struts/shocks if/when they go, but someone said literally the exact opposite in another thread about this. Post claimed the KYB's weren't going to make the 10k mark. How many miles are you in on your KYB's, Exiwolfman?
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 12:18 PM   #7
Exiwolfman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
Based on posts in this thread, KYB became my choice for replacement of the stock struts/shocks if/when they go, but someone said literally the exact opposite in another thread about this. Post claimed the KYB's weren't going to make the 10k mark. How many miles are you in on your KYB's, Exiwolfman?
Just have answered that post and i would say im at 60km now and 2 winters , first sportlines now on teins and the kyb's are holding up well .
Old 11-30-2015, 01:03 PM   #8
ern-diz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiwolfman View Post
Just have answered that post and i would say im at 60km now and 2 winters , first sportlines now on teins and the kyb's are holding up well .
Okay, good to know. Thanks for the info.
Old 11-30-2015, 02:44 PM   #9
jmanous

Drives: Toyota Yaris Sedan 2007
Its nice to have some feedback.

The comment was: I *feel* that they wont last with the particular springs (megan) because I drive in NYC & NJ a lot and there are gigantic ditches everywhere... Time will tell. :)
jmanous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 03:34 PM   #10
ern-diz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmanous View Post
Its nice to have some feedback.

The comment was: I *feel* that they wont last with the particular springs (megan) because I drive in NYC & NJ a lot and there are gigantic ditches everywhere... Time will tell. :)
Also good to know; thanks.
Old 12-02-2015, 08:47 PM   #11
soldout

Drives: 2010 Blazing Blue 3 Door LB
Guys that are already lowered and daily drive their cars during winter with snow how does your Yaris perform? I bought WS80s for winter and have purchased MI springs about a month ago but also want to swap the shocks for the TRD shocks. I have a huge 2400 mile trip for work coming up and was planning on doing the springs and shocks when I return but I am wondering if I should lower at all because of daily driving and snow.
95' - Delsol VTEC ~ The Racecar
12' - Burgman 400 ~ Garage Queen
09' - Agility 125 ~ 80mpg Daily Rider
09' - Metropolitan ~ Weee
14' - Ecosmart Metro ~ Razor
soldout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 10:12 AM   #12
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldout View Post
Guys that are already lowered and daily drive their cars during winter with snow how does your Yaris perform? I bought WS80s for winter and have purchased MI springs about a month ago but also want to swap the shocks for the TRD shocks. I have a huge 2400 mile trip for work coming up and was planning on doing the springs and shocks when I return but I am wondering if I should lower at all because of daily driving and snow.
I'd personally wait until spring to lower.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 10:35 AM   #13
tmontague

I was going to wait until spring as well but then just said f*ck it and installed them in August when I got them.

Where I live there is at most ~4 snow falls a winter that accumulate anywhere from 10-20cm. Maybe 1 that is over 15cm. With my ride height I should be fine in anything up to 15cm and have zero issues in anything up to 10cm.

The roads are cleared enough and if it's that deep then I just don't drive to school that day and call my own snow day.

If I waited i'd just have been in the same boat next winter anyways. I'm happy with my decision, but all the above are things you'd need to consider with where you live.

Keep in mind, it's more the axles that bottom out first (as well as front bumper I guess) and when you are lowering your car your axles aren't really going any lower.
Old 12-03-2015, 10:52 AM   #14
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
I got me a good little crease in one of my rockers. Caused by a hunk of wheel well ice that was lying in the entrance to a strip mall. Could happen at stock height yes, but that much of a greater risk when lowered. It's not necessarily all about beaching yourself in snow. Just saying...
Old 12-03-2015, 11:17 AM   #15
tmontague

good point...I wonder if that is why one of my rocker panels when I purchased it has a smoother indent (no paint damage or scratch) along the middle of it?

You definitely need to be more careful if you're driving in snow when you're lowered. Personally if I absolutely had to drive on a day that had more than 10cm of snow and the plows had not been out yet, I'd just take the fiancees Echo which is stock height and allows me to worry less.
Old 12-03-2015, 12:35 PM   #16
Exiwolfman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
good point...I wonder if that is why one of my rocker panels when I purchased it has a smoother indent (no paint damage or scratch) along the middle of it?

You definitely need to be more careful if you're driving in snow when you're lowered. Personally if I absolutely had to drive on a day that had more than 10cm of snow and the plows had not been out yet, I'd just take the fiancees Echo which is stock height and allows me to worry less.
HAHAHA ... come up here to Collingwood and drive in the winter with lowered car , im 2 inch lower and we get feet of snow not cm .
So far no problems i just give her lol and go for it but if it gets to deep just use the Juke lol
Old 12-03-2015, 01:05 PM   #17
tmontague

aaaaaah, the difference 1-2 hours North makes when you are talking about the great lakes
Old 12-04-2015, 12:26 PM   #18
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
So it looks like there aren't a whole lot of options, eh? I have about 60,000 miles on my Tokico HPs, and at some point they'll need replacing. I really don't want to install a set of coilovers again. Looks like my options are the Excel-G (which don't seem very high performance) or TRDs.
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote